help! FT3 + CC3... Peanut butter and chocolate...

Hello all, I have just purchased fractal terrains 3 and campaign cartographer 3, as they seem to make gorgeous maps for an RPG world I am making. I have no experience with any sort of computer assisted design nor do I have experience with photoshop, so the the whole vocabulary is new to me. I have monkeyed with things to the point where I can make a nice fractal terrain map and a nice campaign cartographer map... But I was hoping to blend the 2 together as seamlessly as possible. I love how the map wizard looks, but every time I try to have the same effect with copying a fractal map... disaster. So the issue is... I can make a passable map in both programs, but copying maps from one to the other doesnt seem to work for me. Im pretty sure this is something really simple, but just imagine me as some 15th century peasant that has a magic box that beeps at him... and youll easily imagine my computing skills... ok, Im not that bad, but with these programs I feel lost... A few more days of confusion and I will just get my money back and hand paint them... Would rather use the PC though....

Oh... and yes I have watched the youtube videos....

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The basic structure of converting a FT3 map into a new CC3 style:

1. Export the section of the FT3 map you want as a CC3 file. Limit yourself to the absolutely necessary parts - perhaps only the coastline, or a few contours at best. You don't want a high number of very detailed contours in CC3.

2. Measure the dimensions of your exported map with the Info > Distance command.

3. Create a new CC3 map in the style you want, with these dimensions.

4. Use the clipboard (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) to copy the FT3 coastline and/or contours over into the new CC3 map. You can have two instances of CC3 open at the same time, that makes this fairly easy.

5. Use the "Change Like Drawing Tool" command (right-click the Change Properties button to access it) to change the coastline into the Landmass, and the contours into appropriate contours for the style.

6. Now add details to the map in your new drawing style.

Hope that helps.
  • I do this fairly regularly. Ralf has the basic method pinned down. Once you get used to it, you will find it easy to make a number of maps this way.
  • Thanks for that... I still have a lot of experimenting to do, but at least I have a start point. Much appreciated (^^)b