Town - Street View

This is a project that I tinker with when I have no other maps that must be done. It is a section of a street in a major town. I already posted the Cobbler Shop a few months ago, but will post it again just for continuity. I've used art from DD3, SS2, CSUAC, Dundjini User Art, and my own creations.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Here is the Royal Lion Inn and Tavern, a high end establishment, catering to the well-off merchant class.
  • Very nice , this looks very realistic
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    These are just extremely well done thanks for the inspiration.
  • Splendid! The global view is awesome and the buildings are neat and full of details, really making it life-like.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Wonderful stuff again! It looks so comfy and idyllic. I wanna live there. ;)
  • Thanks for the compliments guys! Posting the images here helps me see things that I miss when I'm working in the software. In fact, I just noticed that the beds on the second floor of the inn are all scaled wrong. How did that happen?!?! I must have been ready for bed myself when I did that. Hehe.

Ralf, it is indeed idyllic. As a DM, we spend so much time mapping grungy dungeons, crumbling ruins, zombie infested farms, and evil temples, that every now and then it is relaxing to map something pretty and pleasant. :)

Glad you like it!
  • Wow, awesome details! I like the way you use walls on top of walls such as the thinner wooden walls on top of the stone walls in the stables, and having walls under the windows which is a bit more realistic than just the glass window. For the candles in the bedrooms of the Inn, did you add lighting effects or are they just symbols that include the light? That's the next step for me to try to get to grips with adding lights to candles etc me thinks...
  • edited April 2013
    Glad you like it Mappy. I actually do the lighting in a non-standard way. The pictures illustrate each step.
    1. After adding the candle symbols, I draw a rough circle around the area that I think would be illuminated by the candles. Then box in the room with lines

2. After all of the candles and illuminated areas are mapped out I Multi-Poly it using either the Solid 60 or Solid 70 fill style.

3. The multi-poly is copied to a sheet just below the walls and an Edge Fade Inner effect is added.

4. I then add a yellow glow symbol to a sheet just above the floor that has no effects. (I've added the glow symbol at the end. It's a bit difficult to see, but you should be able to right click the image to save it.)
  • A cunning system! I will definitely give this a go with my pub map!!
  • Yeah...that is a very clever way to go about it...gonna have to try that technique
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    I love it what a great way to get the exact lighting you want.
    Where did you find your two fences?
  • Yeah, I spent way too many hours experimenting with ways to make lighting that would imitate the moodiness of candlelight. The stronger the opacity of the Solid Fills, the moodier the lighting ends up. For daylight, I omit the glow, like the windows at the ends of the hallways in the Inn's 1st floor.

This also gives the ability to make it look like light is seeping out from under doorways, and using different color glows can add eerie green glows from moss in caves, or purple glows from strange mushrooms in a spooky forest, beams of light from a magical chalice, or... you get the idea. If you would like the variety of colored glows, I'll see what I can do to make them available for download.

Ken, the fences are both from the CSUAC. If you are using the button set up that was suggested, they can be found under Structures>Barriers-Wood.
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Thanks I've missed thrm before and I would liketo see the other colored lights and made a sample cc3 file to play around with if possible please.
  • edited July 2015
    You should be able to download the Light Circles from HERE. Let me know if you have a problem downloading the zip. (I really need to find the time to set up a real website.)

I'll set up a CC3 sample for you tomorrow. I'm a bit shot on time at the moment.
  • 1 year later
  • Shessar, I'm slowly working my way back through forum posts and I wanted to tell you how delightful these light effects are. You have a great deal of talent. And that's without even mentioning the street maps!

Thank you.
  • Looks very nice. I too have combined DD3 and City Maps to do that as well. It gives the city much more detail.
  • This is an old thread, but thanks for the nice comments!

KigdomBuilder- Have fun looking through the older threads. I too love looking back at some of the amazing maps that have been made with this software over the years.
  • Wowsers ! I must have missed these first time around.
  • 1 year later
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    This might be an old thread, but it is no less valuable for that, Shessar. I think your drawing are beautiful, and like Ralf - I wouldn't say no to living there.
  • Wow!!! I missed this thread the first time around, too! I see a new tutorial request coming on! Lol... I especially would like to know how you did those walls?!? I can never get mine to look that good!
  • It was easy to miss LS, since it was first posted 3 years ago and has been buried deep in the forums for quite a while. I suppose I resurrected it by using it to show LoopySue how I did window sills. LOL

What is it about the walls that you like? I tend to make them thicker than they would be in life, so a line width setting of 1' rather than .5'. I also add a heavy/wide black glow around them to lift them off of the page and to darken the inside corners to add mystery. The last thing I do is to add a zero width line under those wall that I want to add a wall shadow to, making sure that the shadow will only fall on the outside of the building, since the sun would not cast a shadow on the inner walls. Hope that makes sense.
  • 17 days later
  • edited July 2016
    Wondering if you can shed some light on this for me before i post it in the forum. I've had so many issues the past week im tired of seeing my name up there. haha. Anyway....So I tried your candlelight shadow technique on an Inn i am working on. I loved your images above. Anyway, all went well creating the multipoly, got the edge fade just right, as seen below. But then when i placed it over my floor i got all those "holes". I tired to change the floor to a lighter wood so you can see better, as i am using a darker more grayish worn wood floor and i thought at first it may have to do with the similar color tones that sometimes cause those little weird triangles when you bevel. But as you can see on this floor those holes have appeared. Any idea why this has happened?
  • edited July 2016
    I've only ever seen this sort of thing since CC3+. The odd triangles from matching pixels were always a problem, but the holes in transparent effects is something new since CC3+.

I'm going to be away from my computer most of today. When I get back I'll play with this some. This is probably a thing for jslayton or Ralf to look at because I've seen it on the forums here a number of times with no resolution to date that I'm aware of.

I have an idea for a work around...I'll be back.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm having problems with CC3+ now. My endpoint modifier will not work on paths so I cannot close a path for making a multi-poly. I'll have to get back to this later today.
  • Well, how you do your candle light to begin with... since the images on their own don't really make sense to me. I also like how you do the walls under your windows... I would LOVE to know how you accomplish that!

The double walls is another one... and how you make them so realistic looking. Your quick explanation has me somewhat confused. I figure if I understand how you do it... then I can adapt it to what I need :D, like I did with your excellent stream and cliff tutorials. I never asked, but I hope you don't mind my adaptations. Once I understood the basic principles... it opened up so many different possibilities!
  • edited July 2016
    I have everything reinstalled and running smoothly again.

@LadyStorm - I guess you are asking for a full fledged tutorial? I'll add it to my list of projects. Right now, I'm trying to finish up a few new symbols for Perspectives. It will likely be a while before I can get to it.

@Lorelei - I've played with this some and I'm sorry but cannot reproduce the 'holes' no matter what I try. This is just a random shot in the dark, but check to make sure that you don't have any effects set on the 'Whole Drawing'. If you want, you can post the .fcw in a whisper and I can take a look at it. I suspect that there is another effect causing this. I would love to figure out what other effect makes it happen because I've seen other users ask about it in the past.
  • lol... I don't want much, do I Shessar? Don't stress over it, hon... If and when you get around to it, that would be great... but if you don't... it's not going to be the end of everything! :)

I'm sort of hoping I can utilize some of these ideas for my Black Rose Inn... but I won't be starting that until after I complete Cathoulla City, and that might take a while!