Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    EDIT : I had to reduce the number of pages on my website so now all the downloads are on the same page. All the links point now to this single page. Sorry for any inconvenience this action might generate.

Hi!

Here is the battlemap I made last week. It's the chapel of a hamlet where at least 8 gods are reverred.
    Full Resolution Version

I took a lot of notes while creating this map so I thought to write a tutorial, with a large part detailing the use of CA46's tools step by step.
    Part1 is not very exciting because I only talk about the way I set CC3 up, and is already available here.

I'm new at website creation (macros and XPs are way easier to make!) so please be lenient...

Edit: changed the shadows inside the buildings.
      Chapel_800x544.jpg
    This is obviously REALLY AWESOME... definitely going to check out your tutorial next time I get a chance.
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013 edited

Wow! That's gorgeous, JdR. Everything about that map is wonderful. I especially like how you fit the 2nd floor onto the map!

And thanks so much for your tutorial. I eagerly look forward to the next installment! Incidentally, the website is fine, especially for a blog-type site. I like how you used the Gweddyz map for the background.

Thanks again for posting your awesome map and for taking the time put together the tutorial!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013

Everything Dogtag said :-)

Read the first part of the tutorial and can't wait to see (and try out) the next part.
    This is a great way to boost my CC3 knowledge.
    Map making, macro's and a better uderstanding on CC3 all in one. Love it.
    Thanks for all the nice comments and glad you find this useful :-)
    Part 2 needs some more proof-reading and I'm working hard on part 3, so stay tunned!
    Part 2 : most frequently used commands and Part 3 : mapping begins, are available.

And if you don't own Cartographer's Annual 4, you can use Appendix A instead of part 3.

And while you're there you might be interested by the Tools Symbol Catalog (Examples here by friend KenG ), the Beds Symbol Catalog (examples here ) and the Religious Symbol Catalog featured in the Chapel, all to be found in the download section .

Enjoy.

Edit: added the result picture from Part 3.
      Chapel_Part3_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorClercon
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013

Thanks the articles look really interesting. What is the deal with the symbol catalogs by the way, private use only or can it be used for commercial?
    • CommentAuthorKenG

There is a terms of use file text file with the download
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Fantastic map Joachim! I especially like how you did the shadow for the pine tree in the upper right. Very clever!

Thanks for the tutorials as well. And more symbols, yippee!!!! :)
    Glad you like it :)

Posted By: ShessarI especially like how you did the shadow for the pine tree in the upper right

I like it too ;) And it was not so hard to do compared to the shadows from the graveyard's archways... I however think the way I did shadows is quite an advanced method so I only talk about it at the end (part 7 or so).
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013 edited

Posted By: ShessarFantastic map Joachim! I especially like how you did the shadow for the pine tree in the upper right. Very clever!

Holy smokes! I didn't even notice the tree and arch shadows. But only because they seem so natural it didn't register that you had to do something special to achieve the effect. Fantastic! I really, really like the arch shadows by the cemetery. Mind = blown.

~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013

Downloaded part 2 and 3 and had a quick look at them.

They look great.
    Now find the time to use them.
    Posted By: Henrie61Now find the time to use them.

Feedback welcomed once you can give a try :)

Posted By: DogtagMind = blown.

Hope you're still with us Dogtag, here is Part 4: Altering the walls.
      Chapel_Part4_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013 edited

Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelHope you're still with us Dogtag, here is Part 4: Altering the walls.

Indeed, I am! Thank you again for taking the time and effort to put all this together.

~Dogtag
    You're welcome. I just hope this makes CA46 more attractive :)
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013

Having a 4 day weekend I should be able to find a bit of time to start with these tutorials.
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013 edited

So far I have followed part 1 to 3.
    Had to reinstall the CA46 to get the macros back from that annual.
    For the rest, had only minor problems following the toturials.
    But that was just because I started pressing buttons before I finished reading.
    Just following (and reading) this tutorial vastly increases my CC3 knowledge.
    Can't say this enough, thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.

Maybe part 4 tomorrow.
      JdR Chapel03.PNG
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013 edited

Did part 4 of the tutorials.
    Now have to wait for part 5.
    Feels like christmas :-)
      JdR Chapel06.PNG
    Posted By: Henrie61Did part 4 of the tutorials.
    Now have to wait for part 5.

Good job! I particularly like how you diverge from the tutorial :)

I just posted Part 5. This ends the use of CA46 specific tools.
    I'll probably need some time before I can post more...

And for the mappers that don't own Cartographer's annual 4, there is also an appendix on how to achieve part 4 without CA46. It's a bit longer though...
      Chapel_Part5_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013

And part 5 read and tried.
    With the knowledge gathered from these tutorials I know my future maps will be better.
      JdR Chapel09.PNG
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2013

Hmm... Can't get part 5. It wants me to "log back in," which is weird because I never logged in to begin with.

@Henrei - Your version, from following JDM's tutorials, looks great so far!

~Dogtag
    Posted By: DogtagHmm... Can't get part 5. It wants me to "log back in," which is weird because I never logged in to begin with.

My fault. Must have copied the link while in edition mode. Told you I was a noob in websites...
    Should be corrected.
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2013

It is, indeed. Thank you!
    Part 6 is a big file that took quite some time...
    It deals with adding fill styles, how fill styles are applied, adding and ordering sheets.
    Enjoy!
      Chapel_Part6_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013

Just in time for the long weekend here in the States! Thank you!

~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013

Busy with part 6. Lots of fun again.

One thing I noticed. When downloading from GCtextures the files that are downloaded are in the JPG format.
    CC3 uses PNG or BMP for its bitmap files.
    The easiest way for me to convert is to open the JPG in MS paint and then save as PNG.
    Maybe this comes in handy for someone else who is using the tutorial.
    • CommentAuthorGathar

Thank you Henrie61 for mentioning the site GCtextures. I did not know it, and it looks quite interesting...
    Posted By: Henrie61One thing I noticed. When downloading from GCtextures the files that are downloaded are in the JPG format.
    CC3 uses PNG or BMP for its bitmap files.

Thanks for pointing this, Henrie61. I modifed the pdf to include this important information.
    Posted By: DogtagJust in time for the long weekend here in the States! Thank you!

You're welcome though I don't know if part 6 will be enough to fill the week-end... If not, here is Part 7 .
      Chapel_Part7_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61

Posted By: GatharThank you Henrie61 for mentioning the site GCtextures. I did not know it, and it looks quite interesting...

If you download the tutorial JDR wrote (part 6) you will fine two more interesting links.
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61

Part 7 already, and I am not even halfway done with part six.
    Need longer weekends.
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013 edited

Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbel... I don't know if part 6 will be enough to fill the week-end... If not, here is Part 7.

Wow! It's like Xmas in May!

Thanks!
    ~Dogtag
    Part 8 : Stairs is ready.
    Feedback and comments always welcome here and on the website, thanks!
      Chapel_Part8_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013

Jdr, a small point for part six of this wondefull guide concerning the text below.
    At this point there is no LIGHT END sheet yet. Think it should be GRID instead.

2. Click once on the Move Up button to
    place this new sheet between LIGHT
    END and WALLS TOP. Click OK to
    close the sheet list.
    If you stop here, secure

Having said that. Thanks for part 8.
    Posted By: Henrie61At this point there is no LIGHT END sheet yet

I stand corrected... The pdf has been modified. Thanks again for pointing this out!
    Are you ready for Part 9 : Shadows the hard way?
      Chapel_Part9_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2013 edited

Busy with part 7.

Found a typo in the text below. Think it should be the GROUND fill style.

1. Click on the Fill Style Indicator then on the Bitmap File tab. Click on the ā€œVā€ shaped button next
    to the current fill style name and select the GRASS fill style.
    Posted By: Henrie61Found a typo in the text below. Think it should be the GROUND fill style.

You're absolutely right... again... There is no GRASS fill style. The GROUND fill style looks like grass though...

Thanks again for testing the tutorial... I try to be as precise as possible but some things escapes me anyway, sorry...
    • CommentAuthorKenG
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2013

Awe JdR blame your editor and proof reader, don't blame yourself...
    These are great!!
    Part 10 : Light effects and inside symbols, is ready, and Part 7 has been modified.
    Thanks for reading!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013

Really amazing stuff as always, JdR! Do you mind if I link the tutorials so far from the Profantasy blog?
    Posted By: RalfDo you mind if I link the tutorials so far from the Profantasy blog?

I don't mind at all. Thank you very much.
    Please note that now all the downloads are on a single page (see first post).
    The last part, #11, has been added to the Chapel tutorial webpage .

Thanks for all the support and help.
      Chapel_Part11_Pic.jpg
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge. And in such a clear and well-designed way! These tutorials are practically works of art themselves!

Thank you very much!
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013

Thank you for all the hard work you put into this.

I noticed that in the final image here on the forum the wall surrounding the graves is missing.
    But its in place in the tutorial.

Now I just have to find the time to follow the tutorial all the way through and finish my own church.
    Posted By: Henrie61I noticed that in the final image here on the forum the wall surrounding the graves is missing.
    But its in place in the tutorial.

Yes, I tried to follow my own steps when writing the tutorial and the graveyard wall was a late addition.
    It's not too much detailed but there is nothing new, I just started back from part 3 with construction lines and all... Don't forget to close any dangling double lines with a simple line before turning the walls into a polygon.

Posted By: Henrie61Now I just have to find the time to follow the tutorial all the way through and finish my own church.

Can't wait to see it :)

Posted By: DogtagAnd in such a clear and well-designed way!

You can thank KenG for that, he forced urged me to use a more technical writing than my chaotic original :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorOld Krom
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2013

Bonjour Joachim

Magnifique travail, je ne reconnais pas tes pierres de construction.

Amicalement
    KROM