Fractal Terrains: More Diverse Continents?

Hello,

Does anyone know if its possible to generate a more earth like planet with FTp? I've been finding i've been getting a lot of really snake ones.. i've tried lowering the water level..ect. But they always end up being giants nakey contents that I have to try to disconnect in ways that seem natural..

Are there any more synthetic world 'methods' ?

See my attachmenet.. its still a tad snakey... but its not bad... can anyone help?

Comments

• RobRob
    edited September 2008
    I don't know a lot of mine where just random fractual worlds, when I had access to FT to play around with (only get access when a friends in town).. but even looking at it, it's got some of the same problems your pointing out.. :

as shown there..
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    FT has a number of fractal types that give varying results. It also has many editing tools to allow you to adjust a given world as you see fit. See http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html for an example.
  • Thanks Joe ! added to my browser bookmarks.
  • Highland_PiperHighland_Piper Surveyor
    edited September 2008
    That is a great tutorial. I wish I had that a couple years ago when I did my campaign wolrd! However I must admit that I've grown used to the world that FT Pro generated for me and it has allowed me to have a VERY different cultures due to the geography!

--EDIT--

I take it back. The tutorial is good even if you already made your FT world. The section on Adjusting Climates is really helpful.
  • 1 month later
  • Slayton's tutorial is great and helped me a lot when I first started fiddling with Fractal Terrains, but even so I have quite a wish list. For instance: I like the idea of having those relatively smooth coastal plains I get when continental platforms are set on, but if I do set them on, I can't fill in the larger of the inner water bodies FT almost always generates 'cause the results tend to become pretty weird, with enormous cliffs protruding here and there, and so on.

Despite being a FT user for about 2 years, I'm a noob in the forum and the whole community thing. Still, I did search the forum for a wish list, and despite having found a couple of references to it I didn't find a wish list proper. There isn't one, is it? I'd like to create one, unless the admins feel that the forum isn't the right place to it. But I also didn't manage to locate a place to start new topics. I suppose that's because my account is new and I'm on probation, so to speak, but in case it isn't can anyone explain to me how that's done? This forum software is kinda weird...

Thanks
    Jorge
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2008
    New topics are started via the red "Start a new discussion" link in the top left corner.

There isn't a specific wish list thread, so feel free to make a new tread with your suggestions.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Do {Feature Suggestion] before the topic heading, and put it in the Mapping with... category.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Posted By: j.candeiasSlayton's tutorial is great and helped me a lot when I first started fiddling with Fractal Terrains, but even so I have quite a wish list. For instance: I like the idea of having those relatively smooth coastal plains I get when continental platforms are set on, but if I do set them on, I can't fill in the larger of the inner water bodies FT almost always generates 'cause the results tend to become pretty weird, with enormous cliffs protruding here and there, and so on.
    The prescale offset tool allows editing of the altitudes before the transform to make continental shelves is applied. The prescael offset tool is a little fiddly with regards to input values but using it greatly simplifies filling those pesky little basins in the interior of continents.
  • Oh. There's something I've never tried.

To tell the truth, I tend to forget to turn prescale editing on, mostly because of that fiddly condition of the tool (a little? I'd say a lot). There's something else for my wishlist right there... but I guess I better add it to the thread I opened instead of here.