Gweddyz's Chatelet

Once the administrative center, now home to a Marquis de Darashiva and his evil master, the Black Rose's drug overlord.
Here is the first (or ground) level, featuring entry hall, ball room, meeting alcoves, offices (right), salons (left), stables, kitchen and smithy (left most).
Some towers look filled because it's the player battlemap. Some are hollow, some are not...

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Looks gorgeous, but he could use some flowers, bushes or trees on his grounds. ;)
  • Level 2
    Library and drug lord's quarters (right), dinning hall and private salon (left), barrack (leftmost).
  • Posted By: RalfLooks gorgeous, but he could use some flowers, bushes or trees on his grounds. ;)
    The whole city was in ruins a few months ago, so there has been a lot of work on the buildings but the rest has to wait. The sort of derelict aspect of the ground is quite on purpose.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    Looks really great!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: Ralfhe could use some flowers, bushes or trees on his grounds. ;)
    Gee golly whillikers. Gotta disagree, Ralf. This seems to me to be the place where there's no living vegetation at all anymore.

Nix für Ungut!
  • edited April 2013
    Posted By: VintyriThis seems to me to be the place where there's no living vegetation at all anymore.
    Nür Unkraut ;)

Thanks for all the comments! Here is level 3. Right : dignitaries quarters, mid sergents quarters, left elite guard room and dinning hall balcony, leftmost practice room.
    Marquis showing off with no less than 6 crystal chandeliers...
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    This is great I like the main entry stair and the shodowing of the chandeliers in the great hall. All the little alcoves so just an amazing amount of work.
  • You made a great job with your walls! I am really mounth open. All of it are complex entities?
  • Posted By: KenGshodowing of the chandeliers in the great hall
    Ah but I stole that from you Manor ;)
    Posted By: Mateus090985All of it are complex entities?
    Well, I'm using CA46 to design the walls. To include the round towers I had to use multipolies ;)
  • Up to level 4...
    Right guests quarters, mid attic, with stuff from *civilzation* that didn't found room in the Chatelet. Left Marquis's quarters, including nursery, private office, boudoir and lady in waiting room.
  • edited April 2013
    And level 5. Nothing fancy here, just servants quarters and watch rooms (top right)
    Thanks to Anomiecoalition for the roof fill style, you can find it here
  • Roof view.
    My player plan to investigate this place with, ahem, stealth, so I don't really know how they will procede...
  • edited April 2013
    And the basement...
    The water from the local lake has been seeping through the ground for centuries, making everything instable.
    Left: cellar, mid: drug laboratory. The fumes from the chemical are diverted in the water, making it very acidic... Right: old jail.
    That's all!
  • anomiecoalitionanomiecoalition Traveler
    edited April 2013
    There's a whole lot of Awesomeness going on here. My favorite part is the Tower roofs (mind explaining how you did that?) and I also really like the stairs lading from the path to the entrance (is that a symbol? a whole mess of sheets? or another method I'm not familiar with?)

I actually kind of agree with Ralf that i'd like to see some small shrubbery - I get that its a decrepit building that no one has tended to, but perhaps some withered trees (you can find some here text to link

I'm not a huge fan of the movement to pure white as you reach higher elevations - but, i'm not sure that there is a better way to do it with CC3 (my plan for the mansion i'm working on is to dump the image in photoshop and manually blur the lower levels)

But...thats all just nit-picking - Awesome map
  • This hole thing is beautifull. Would you give us hiher definition versions? =) =) =)
  • edited April 2013
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionMy favorite part is the Tower roofs (mind explaining how you did that?) and I also really like the stairs lading from the path to the entrance (is that a symbol? a whole mess of sheets? or another method I'm not familiar with?)
    The tower roofs where made by wrapping the roof fill style around a cone using my favourite symbol maker (POVRAY). I turned the result in a symbol. It's a 4.4Mb picture so I cannot post it. I'm not quite satisfied with it, the tiles shouldn't get smaller to the top but I didn't have time to make something nicer...
    The stairs where done with two sheets. One with the texture and one with a transparency effect. Note the steps are slightly apart to allow a bevel effect.
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionI actually kind of agree with Ralf that i'd like to see some small shrubbery - I get that its a decrepit building that no one has tended to, but perhaps some withered trees (you can find some heretext to link
    Maybe I'll add some vegetation. This is however a battlemap and I usually add 3D-model trees and such, so you're not likely to see me adding trees to my maps. Thanks for the link anyway!
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionI'm not a huge fan of the movement to pure white as you reach higher elevations - but, i'm not sure that there is a better way to do it with CC3 (my plan for the mansion i'm working on is to dump the image in photoshop and manually blur the lower levels)
    I agree it's not terrible but
    a) I have no better idea and blurring doesn't really appeal to me. I'd like to see examples, though...
    b) It saves ink. OMG, I have to print all that!
    But...thats all just nit-picking - Awesome map
    Thanks a lot.
    Posted By: Mateus090985This hole thing is beautifull. Would you give us hiher definition versions? =) =) =)
    Thanks. I can post some parts if you wish... My export is at 4320x3040. More and my computer crashes... I even had crashes with that.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    *boggle* Absolutely gorgeous. Your players are so spoiled. There's so much here -- and you've put so much thought behind everything. It's immensely humbling and inspiring all at once. Bravo!

~Dogtag
  • edited April 2013
    Posted By: Dogtag*boggle* Absolutely gorgeous. Your players are so spoiled. There's so much here -- and you've put so much thought behind everything. It's immensely humbling and inspiring all at once. Bravo!

~Dogtag
    Thanks. I did invest a lot of sweet in those maps and tried to think of everything. Of course, I missed the important point. I don't know where it is but I'm sure my players, being players, will find out :)

Here is a bonus, a 3D of the entry hall I have done to check the 2D maps. Note it is open to the ball room behind (lost in blackness).
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Ok now you are just showing off!
    This is just so amazing looking, speechless...
  • Posted By: KenGOk now you are just showing off!
    I suppose I am :))
  • Wow! It's really nice to see such a realistic looking castle floorplan. Did you look at any real life floorplans to aid you? Or just go with what looked right?

Did you build the walls using the same macros as appeared in your annual issue, or have you updated them since? How long did the map take you, do the annual macros speed things up a lot compared to building multipolys? I didn't buy that year's annual at the time, but I'm trying to catch up on the couple of annuals that I missed now.

Sorry to ask so many questions but it's such a brilliant set of maps it's blown me away, thanks for sharing. For some reason one of my favourite things are actually the spiral staircases! They usually look a bit off in fantasy rpg maps, but yours are spot on.
  • Posted By: RaikoWow! It's really nice to see such a realistic looking castle floorplan. Did you look at any real life floorplans to aid you? Or just go with what looked right?
    Well, I always seek real castles floorplan and my bible is Viollet le Duc's Medieval Encyclopedy so I think I'm sort of formatted to such plans. The real ones are quite more complex though...
    Posted By: RaikoDid you build the walls using the same macros as appeared in your annual issue, or have you updated them since? How long did the map take you, do the annual macros speed things up a lot compared to building multipolys? I didn't buy that year's annual at the time, but I'm trying to catch up on the couple of annuals that I missed now.
    If you're talking about the Annual Issue #46 yes, but those are not macros but XPs. The difference for users is that you can't edit the code but that you can undo all the complex steps in one go whereas you need one undo per step in a macro.
    Well, those XPs where intented to speed things up. I really don't know how long it took, I'd say a week for just generating the walls, adding fill styles and symbols was quite longer, because I made a lot of symbols on the way.
    Posted By: Raikoit's such a brilliant set of maps it's blown me away, thanks for sharing. For some reason one of my favourite things are actually the spiral staircases! They usually look a bit off in fantasy rpg maps, but yours are spot on.
    Thanks a lot! Now the staircases where done with the macro posted here

It takes some time to get comfortable with (I know because I hadn't used them a while).
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbel
    Posted By: KenGOk now you are just showing off!
    I suppose I am :))
    I like showing off, more please :)
  • Yeah...i'm with Clercon - keep showing off...

btw - what program did you use to make that image? (POV Ray?) - and whats the learning curve (I'm assuming pretty steep)?
  • edited April 2013
    Well, if showing off is not too much a sin...
    POVRAY is a powerfull 3D renderer using code (whereas other renderer such as Blender, Bryce... use mostly intuitive visual, though some code is possible too).
    As any powerfull software, the learning curve is almost neverending (look at CC3!). It's pretty easy to generate boxes, cylinders and spheres, it's more tough to make a chair.
    I was trying to get beds for years. Here you can see some that look almost satisfying.
    The chairs are also homemade but look pixelated...
    The carpet is another one.
    Below the chair as rendered by POVRAY.
  • edited April 2013
    Another view of level 2
    The trophies where also a pain to compute. Here I'm quite happy with the result.
    Statues where designed in Poser (not free!) and exported to POVRAY.
    You might notive crystal candelholders.
    The armchair is the original DD3 symbol but rather than use the varicolor I took the png to edit the hue then turned the result as a new symbol.
    The long table, or rather the tablecloth has also been done with POVRAY.
  • edited April 2013
    A last one focusing on the rough beds for the barrack.
    Horses are from CSUAC, bless him.
  • Gosh, too many great things to comment about. Awesome work. Weird, but I think my favourite bits are all the different shapes of the walls, all done perfectly and not just straight walls of different widths (like I do!!). Time to practice my wall making....
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks Mappy :)

I'm in the process of printing, croping and laminating the maps...
    Luckily I could borrow a huge cutting mat and a metal ruler at school.
    Hard work, should have used a printing service... Are they fast?
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    What about looking into a large paper cutter, roller cutter. I lot easier than an exacto knife