Critism Wanted on Maps *Links working now*

I don't think I have posted these two new maps yet. I went with a new style of map design. These maps are design for a potential mmorpg world map for both. I just ask what you like and what you don't like about the maps. Its very high fantasy. I believe I have been told once that i cluster too many symbols together but I guess thats just my style to show its a dense area heh. Also if you like the names of the places and it be cool to know if you did like them and what was your favorite named places by the name and aesthetics.

I believed I have posted here before but I have edited them and made them more with a realistic flow. Here are the new 6.

**Please rate each map 1-10 with 10 being the best. And if you all would, rate the overall design of maps of 1-10 as well please =D

Comments

• just a hint, linking the images so people don't have to copy/paste it would make it easier ;)

all you have to do is <a href="link"> text </a> and it will give you a link.. just some times people don't have a lot of time and soo helps to speed them on ;)
  • Well Rob it just doesn't wanna work. I tried that way it doesn't take them to a link
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2008
    Here. I edited the links for you. If you edit your post now, you can see how it is done.

Hmm... Imageshack seems to be a bit troubled. I can't bring up most of your maps, Imageshack only shows a broken image (No matter if I click on the links I just made for you, or if I paste the original URL manually into a new browser window.
    They do confirm the image is supposed to exists though, they just doesn't show it.

Edit: Actually, if you try to access the image directly (Which normally works fine on ImageShack), you get a 403 error now, so it seems they have some server/permission problem. I assume they will fix it. Only image they are willing to server up right now is the "Fableloch Islands" one. The links in the post will start working one Imageshack has fixed their problems.
  • Thank you Monsen. I really apprecaite it!
  • I got it working. I had to re-upload them to image shack. I have no idea what happened.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I believe this was mentioned before, but one of the things that I feel looks a little unnatural in many of your maps is how the map is divided into completely separate areas. You have large mountainous areas without a single tree, large jungles without a single hill. The edges between the areas also looks a bit to sharp many places. Real terrain tend to mix features a bit.

That said, I do think your maps looks quite nice. Looks like you have put quite a bit of work into those. I love the amount of text labels you trow on the maps as well. Nothing like a good name to make a map look interesting.
  • Yeah. I think you have mentioned that before. These are just basic world maps for an mmorpg game. Its used on a 3.5k by a 2.8k dimensions I believe. Its just suppose to give an over view, but not that much detail. The thing about the mix and stuff, yeah I can totally see what your saying. However, I had to design it by zones of terrain so it could work for the game.
  • I guess no one likes my maps. I had one reply. Seems like the dungeon maps are more popular here then CC3 maps. I have noticed people like the 1000by800 canvas maps better as well. I suppose if more people don't give feedback here, there is no reason to have my maps posted.
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited September 2008
    By all means, please do post your maps.

I like to look at them, even though I prefer dungeon and city maps. But that's a personal preference...

In fact, I like all of the maps and I will therefore not give individual "marks".

I agree with Monsen... The maps look a bit unnatural... But considering the fact that you are creating these maps for an MMORPG, this may be exactly what you want to achieve. I used to play WoW. WoW overland maps don't look natural. The areas don't "flow" into each other... well... not in a natural manner at least... They are all very specific: jungle, desert, dark & spooky, etc. I don't know about other MMORPG's...

Try to use more sheet effects, though. They don't require a lot of work and considerably enhance the quality of your maps.

Good luck & happy mapping (... and posting!),

Mogul76
  • Yeah, in WoW it didn't flow at all. I can see where you can see how each area doesn't have a slow transition of environments. I think they flow by each zone and by climate. Since it is for an mmorpg each "zone" would have its own theme. Again I refuse to do the boarders between each zone like WoW has placed. If this was for a D&D or campaign map, it would def be have way better natural transitions between different ecosystems.

I have played EQ, then wow and now playing Vanguard which I really love how they did their seamless zones.