Symbols for commercial maps

Following the enthusiasm of one of my players who suggested to make a pdf of my campaign i started to figure out how i could do that. Since it will take a huge amount of time i would like to get a nominal fee for it. I was planning to create my own map and take advantage of the awome features of DD3. My only concern is related to the symbols that i'm going to use. Even tough the symol set 2 is handy, it is certenly not enough. Sites like dundijnni or rpgmapshare contain tons of objects, trees, furniture and so on but i was wondering if i'm allowed to use them.
How other mappers approach this problem? do you make your own symbols set? do you ask permission? did you ever encounter any sort of similar problems during your mapping efforts?
I would really appreciate an advice on this
thanks kn advance

Gabriele

Comments

• Well the annuals provide lots of symbols too and I think you can use them for commercial stuff, so you can look in to those if you haven't already purchased them.
    Or you can make your own symbols but that can be really time consuming. As for the dundijnni symbols, I should ask permission first.
  • Hi leviathus
    thanks for the answer. What do you exactly mean with Annuals? could you send me the link?
    thanks again
  • The link: Annuals

A great monthly subscription from Profantasy themselves, were you can get awesome new stuff for CC3, DD3 etc! New symbols, drawing styles, mapping guides and other cool stuff. You should really check it out!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: LeviathusAs for the dundijnni symbols, I should ask permission first.
    The CSUAC symbols can be used. Usage is governed in the CSUAC EULA.

Most Dundjinni symbols can be used in commercial releases, but you need to check the postings. Some authors restrict usage to the private level.

RPG Map Share symbols always specify whether they're available for commercial and personal use or personal only.

Grey Tale's Nook restricts usage to private or personal. If you wish to use the symbols in a commercial product, you need to get Grey Tale's (Greg Taylor's) permission.

Our Vintyri symbols all are specifically free for commercial usage.

As to the ProFantasy symbols, including those in the annuals:

If you're doing commercial work, I think you'll find that the ProFantasy libraries are too small to fill all of your needs. This comment has nothing to do with the quality of the symbols, just with the size and breadth of the collections.

The annuals offer excellent quality symbols, but most are keyed to specific mapping styles. These symbols won't always mix well with ProFantasy's standard symbols or with those offered by the sites mentioned above.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
    http://www.vintyri.org