Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2016

Ah, I still remember when 1 megabyte of video ram was considered the hottest thing money could buy. Now we measure it in the gigabytes (My new card has 8GB)
    Anyway, unless you use software (like games) that needs to store lots of textures on the video card, 1 gb is plenty, after all a Full HD screen (Which your TV probably is) only require about 17MB of video ram to display correctly for non-3D stuff.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2016

Yeah, 1080p for my screen. The first video I had, in an Intel computer for home use, was CGA. The first time I played Everquest, I had a 32 meg video card. I found it recently, its tiny. My first ever computer was a Sinclair ZX-81 with a Z80A in it, blanked the b&w tv when it did a calculation as it couldn't display and do math at the same time.

I found out, figured out, why I had so many duplicate planet names. I didn't double check by sorting the spreadsheet every few weeks. I did it tonight, and saw a few jumps in the alphabetization. I have such a large number of names, not all of them used yet, I have them in about 6 tabs in one spreadsheet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2016

Sounds like you need to upgrade from a spreadsheet to a database. Much easier to do lookups and duplicate checking (and prevent duplicates alltogether).
    • CommentAuthorJimP

My laptop barely works with what I'm running on it. I have a Mint linux desktop I'm not using right now. After we get electricity to my storage shed/ ham radio building, I can more work with items like that and add MySql to it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Ooops. I should have posted that here. I have completed my planet name inventory. Whew.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016

And after I get all my files copied over to the computer... I'll start work on my sites and maps again. Desktop, not on tablet.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2017

Well, I'm on a Win 10 Home computer now. It has a graphics chip in it. And a 21" screen. I have 1096 planet maps, 40 planet surveys and 386 universal world profiles ( UWP). And my planet name spreadsheet is huge and had to be broken up into multiple pages.

I'm in the proccess of adding more, about 59 planet maps. 57 as working articles, and I should have 59... so I have to dig through 23 spreadsheets and my web site to see which 2 are not posted.

These articles aren't visible on my web site just yet.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017

Okay, 1176 planet maps, 56 planet surveys, and 396 UWPs as of today.

I figured that before I get lost and put planets in the wrong galaxy arm, or sector, I better look at my spreadsheets and make sure everything is correct, before adding more planets.

Out of 7 planets, I found 3 bad links and a typo or two. Hopefully the rest of my site isn't that bad off.

Added 21 planets this week, I think I got them in the correct locations.

Taking a break until Thursday, on my sites anyway.
    Wow! :-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017

Well, not so many typos as to cause me to lose my hair...

But I am going through my spreadsheet of planets in alphabetical order. I should have done this last year, but I am catching a few mistakes here and there.

61 planet surveys done. And Since I have so few, I added a page of links for them so folks who go there wont have to search for the few planet surveys in the 1176 pages of planets.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017

Okay, 76 planet surveys and 411 UWPs, same number of planets. Fewer typos this time. Down to Afab-Nel, just 1100 more planet surveys to go. Whoosh.
    • CommentAuthorTopdecker
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017

WoW! Thanks for sharing all of this!

When I manage to conclude my current gaming campaign, I plan on taking at least 6 months to get a space opera laid out and ready. So seeing this is inspiring ;)

Tim
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

You're welcome. I am trying to add more planet surveys for the existing UWPs, rather than just keep adding more solar systems. I have 105 planet surveys and 426 UWPs now with 1176 planets. Also working on joining some Sectors that have planets drawn in areas where they don't connect to other sector maps.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017 edited

Well, I knew I should have used spreadsheets and more wisely... I numbered the FT3 files as I exported them using the Traveller template for Cosmographer. And I didn't track which one of these is being used for which Traveller map on my site.

Anyway, I was looking at changing my Traveller planet maps to show a spaceport and a city or two. Maybe countries as well.

I have more duplicates than I thought, and I was having problems finding the fcw files for particular planets. So I am having to inventory them, including the ft3 files in case i mess the named files up, so...

After 3 days, I have about 30% done. And some I'm not finding the fcw nor the FT3 files for. Nested folders are not my friend. And I don't mean just a little bit nested. Why ? Well, I wanted to use the same map for different planets. I apparently got some of them mixed up.

I'll be here, and I"ll work on the Atlas again soon, I have decided where just yet, but my Traveller site will be taking more of my attention than usual.

Is this a conversation between Pinky and The Brain ?

"What are we going to do tonight Brain ?"

"Take over and make maps of Jim's Travller worlds Pinky !"

Nah, too silly.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017

Oops. Typo. I haven't decided yet where I'm going to work on the Atlas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017

Okay... well, I have gone through all folders of my backups for my Traveller planets and their ft3 files. Didn't find all of the ft3 files fopr those planets. I do have some backup had drives I misplaced in a storage box after I moved here 3 years ago. So the ft3 files are probably there. But as long as I have the CC3 files, I'm okay. I just need to make copies of them, which I have.

Probably need to work on something else.

Oh what could I do. Oh, the Atlas might be something I could go back to.

Monsen, what small area needs attention ? I guess I could work on that ruined forest that has a Horn God temple on it, and do some of the nearby ruins. I'll have to think about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

For small areas, starting from any of the more local maps will be fine, which includes all of the islands in the Forlorn Archipelago, Statrippe, Demossthenes Swamp, Dunor Valley and many more. We also need plenty of larger scale maps, a lot of the continents have large regions without any detail maps.
    But, pick whatever you want to work on.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'll think about it... as tired as i am tonight, I would forget what I decided and do the wrong one or something like that. Probably decide before Monday my time.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017

Planet: Srar-Zhe is the start of the next process. Adding starports, cities, and naming water source types for planets. Some planets will have more details than this. If I add local maps... well, that may or may not add too much, I'll decide later on.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017 edited

Here is an example, in the same-sub sector. Bounce is the starport and Sarn is thesub-sector capital.
      Tbelsar02_ab.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Okay, all 5 planets in one sub-sector has the basic maps edited and uploaded.

Gran-Dal Arm, Column B, Sector 1, Sub-Sector F just 1195 planets to go.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

I've got to ask, Jim. What then is "Yeow!"? The starship crash site for folks who miss Bounce, perhaps?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

No, just another city... it may not be a nice place.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2017 edited

Here is a larger, 6,000 feet vs. 3,000 feet, star port. I have used a few CD3 buildings to give it more variety.
      downport04_0025b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2017

And a Frontier World space port.
      downport05_0005b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Oh, the star cluster. Levels 5, 6, and 7 are done. Level 4 is partially done. Sigh, I had to start a spreadsheet to keep the levels separate on paper and in my brain. Its kind of a pain to work on the star cluster, maybe this winter I'll do more.

Still haven't decided where to put the X-Boat paths or the starports for the star cluster. May have to just sit down, after its done, and figure it out.

That I have only one star cluster on my site should help you feel how painful the star cluster has been.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Hmmm... I just did a sector count, there are 1004 of them.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Another Star port town. The locals said the only land available has a small hill on it... the star port landing field has a flatter area to build on.

And here is why i wanted to do bitmap fills on symbols. This time I managed to get the local defense symbol to match the local terrain. Hint: Its on the same hill as the self-defense fighter base.
      downport06_0011b.png