my new Traveller rpg site, downports, etc.

One of my relatives was talking about running a Traveller game local to us. So, I made a web site.

Nothing there yet in the way of maps.

But if you have some Traveller maps, characters, towns, planets, etc. you would like me to host, just whisper me for my email address and I'll host it for you. My relative hasn't mentioned which version of Traveller, so I'll take anything. I have ordered some Classic Traveler books for my own use.

I intend on making some sector and sub-sector maps. Probably a few solar system maps as well.

My Traveller site

Thanks !

Comments

• I've added one planet map and one person done in Character Artist. If you have played Traveller, you'll notice no Traveller notations. I've ordered some books via a site that sells out of print items. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to read them and work more on the site adding in the Traveller notes for the planet and the character.
  • I've uploaded more maps. Rectangular pngs, no grids or labels.

Tonight and Sunday I'll be uploading about 20 FT3 maps exported as Cosmographer Traveller pngs. If anyone wants me to upload the fcw files, just whipser me.
  • Maps uploaded and site navigation menus updated to link directly to the maps.
  • I've got around 20 planet maps and one sector map uploaded. I got the CDs for Classic ( 1980) Traveller. I hope I got UWP correct. If not, please let me know.

Hopefully next month I'll have time to work on ship drawings.

No, I haven't forgotten Crestar... I just need a break from that site.
  • 3 months later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2013
    I now have around 70 planetary maps on my site. The maps have the Traveller hexagon grid on them. Four sector maps. I'll add more next week.

If you see any errors, please let me know. If you have some nice Traveller deck plans you would like me to host, just let me know. I have plenty of room.

Or if you have some Traveller society (governments), weapons, other vehicles, etc. I'll host them or link to your web site.

Thanks !

edit: 98 worlds.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Great googly moogly, that's a lot of maps. But, then, I guess we should expect no less from you, Jim. image

I'd call it a... stellar achievement, but even I'm not that cheesy.

Bravo, sir,
    ~Dogtag
  • Making them in FT3 is fairly easy. I have gotten to where I write down the Map -> World Settings in case I want to go back and change something.

Hard is determining which Sector and sub-sector map to put it on. Wouldn't want to put nothing but ocean worlds or nothing but dry worlds in one area. Then adding them to the navigation menus.

I hope... to have around 500 done, uploaded, etc. by 2014. Maybe start typing up what each world has.
  • 114 world maps uploaded as of July 13, 2013. All reachable via the site navigation menus at the top of my site. A few have details. Over 80 ercent are just Traveller world hexagon maps.

Attached is a world placed in Vespucian Arm, Sector 4, Sub-Sector C. A place called Bello.
    edited July 2013
    Vespucian Arm, Sector 1, Sub-Sector B, with a stellar background. The planet with the X below it, upper left, is an exile planet. i haven't decided details on that one yet.
  • 11 days later
  • I have thought about this... one colum of sector maps does not a Traveller Empire, withy competing peoples, make.

So it will be 10 columns of sectors. For a total of 19 sectors per column. So that is 190 sectors. This is per galactic arm. My site has 2 galactic arms.

Of course, just like Crestar, I have no idea if I will be get done... but it will be something to work on after I retire.

When Character Artist comes out I'll work on some alien types for my site.
  • 1 month later
    edited September 2013
    I now have, after about 10-15 hours of work this week, added details to most of the planet map pages on my Travellergame site.

From UWPs to a short paragraph. About 190 worlds, about 110 of them have details.

The site navigation menus show a (D) at the end of each planet name if there are details.
  • 29 days later
  • Wowsers.

Big update. I now have 237 game worlds mapped and uploaded, lots with at least a UWP. Updated sector and sub-sector maps, and made corrections to my site navigation menus.

My What is new ? page is updated when I add items to the site.
    Sweet merciful Zeus! That's a lot of maps. Congrats on completing so much so far. That's truly amazing.

~Dogtag
  • I have 120 more maps waiting for me to upload, create pages and links for. That will get me to 357 planet maps.

I just might make my goal of 500 before next year. I have made a page sector mapping progress which shows which sectors are mapped or started mapping. Many more to go. 18 columns ( A through R) and 22 rows of sectors, sleep why yes !, for a total of 396 sectors.

Urf.
  • 12 days later
  • There are now 351 planet maps. The site navigation menus have been updated as well. There are 349 FT3 worlds exp[orted as a Cosmographer Traveller map. The other two are made with Cosmo overland hex tiles.

Another sub-sector map. Water Show for a planet name... not much water there.
  • 1 month later
  • I'm working in a better method of site navigation for this site. The menu system is getting huge and cumbersome. And I'm not even a percent or two done with the mapping.
  • 17 days later
  • I got the 501 planet maps done before Janury 1, 2014.

My idea of site navigation has boiled down to:

1) image maps, one for each galaxy arm, that link to sector maps. The map legend on the front image maps shows what is done, and what is partially done in the way of links.

2) each sector map is image mapped, incomplete so far, to each sub-sector which has planet maps.

3) just above each sub-sector map is a link to the planet maps by name.

I came up with this idea as the navigation menus were getting too 'busy'. They are still in place though until I can get more of the image map linking done.
  • You do not have many replies to this thread Jim, but I will say what anyone else who looks at this stuff must be thinking as well and that is this stuff is WAY COOL. I just dig looking at all of your charts and stuff and browsing through your site. You must be retired or something to have enough time to manage all of it.
    JSM
  • Nope, I still work for a living. I just work on things when I have time. I'll be retiring later this year, moving to a new adress in another state, and setting up there. If I can get my ham radio working, I get lots of static from nearby lights and flat panel televisions, I'll be spending more time with that.

Thanks for looking.

If anyone sees something not working on one of my sites, just let me know and I'll try to get it fixed.
  • 4 months later
  • I have done a major redo of my Traveller site's menu navigation. And I am retired for now.
    edited May 2014
    First, congrats on your retirement. That's awesome.

Second, the site is, as always, awe-inspiring in it's scope. That said... the menu link for the Gran-Dal Arm (A) > Sector 1 map points to

http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net/articles/307/gran-dal-arm-column-b-sector-2-map#

when I believe you want it to point to

http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net/articles/307/gran-dal-arm-column-b-sector-1-map

Although, I'm confused by the (A) after the name of the arm. Did you want the maps to point to column A? I think all the maps in that menu point to column B.

In any case, they're great Traveller maps! The scope and detail of your maps is an inspiration. I hope I can get that much of my game worlds mapped out by the time I retire!!! *doffs cap*

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    edited May 2014
    Thank you, on my third week of retirement.

I'll check those links. Yes, the (A) means column A.

edit: Ah, the Gran-Dal Arm is Column B, I mislabelled it. All fixed now.
    Hi Jim. I see you updated the menu label, but you may want to double-check the Sector 1 map link, under that menu. I think it still points to the URL I mentioned above.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Ah, it didn't have a link. So it pointed to whatever page you viewed. All fixed now.
  • 1 year later
  • Great maps and website.

I still have the Classic Hardback Traveler book as well as the MERC's book.

We played a whole campaign once based on the Aliens movie.

The premise was that a Merc team was sent in first (while there were still survivors).

The whole campaign is about exploring, rescuing survivors, "attempting" to capture aliens for study, and plain old surviving.

At the end, you have to bug out right before the Marines arrive.

That was blast!

Ah, the good old days when I actually had time to play games. :-)
  • 1 month later
  • I've added a few more maps, mostly sub-sector and sector maps. About 5 more planet maps. Life got in the way, and I haven't had much time to work on this site.

I'm making a list of maps I need to make, again mostly sector and sub-sector maps, so the site is more easily navigable.

The front article has image map links to help find your way. I'm busier doing non-mapping things than when I was employed...
  • 1 month later
  • Okay. I've decided to finally get moving... and work on another project for this site. My Crestar maps are starting to gve me a headache. And if you are new to these forums, yes, I do sleep, every night.

The new project: a star cluster in a Traveller Sector. Each color on this map is a different layer of the cluster. So it has 7 layers.

the full size map with info

Here is a half-size map.
    edited January 2016
    *boggle*

Though, really, as someone who is not new to the forums, I don't know why I'm not used to this kind of stuff from you by now... :-D
    edited January 2016
    Thanks ! I think. :-)

I have to go back and forth on types of maps because I get bored making one type of map.

I've been putting off work on this star cluster for about a year. I hope to get several layers done before hiking season, for my type of weather, starts. Months away.

Of course, working on this maps means I wont have time... to work on the UWPs for around 300 planets aleady on my site.