Effects Filters

Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
Which per-sheet filters do you think are missing from CC3, based on your knowledge of other applications (eg PhotoShop and Paint Shop Pro?

Comments

• Main ones I can think of would be the actual layer filters themselves simon, ie:

multiply, darken, lighten, screen etc...

They can come in handy for some effects that you can't easily get otherwise.. ie using a dodge you can use two layers to lighten a section while retaining detail, or a burn to darken specific regions easy etc.. but at the same time a lot of that stuff depends on the types of graphics your going for.

CC3 covers most of the standard 'layer' effects not including the more fancy filters in the actual filter menu because those are really more 'toys' then anything and I don't think CC3 needs the ability to make a map suddenly a watercolor ;)

Because looking at Photoshop you have:
    - Drop shadow
    - Inner Shadow
    - Outer Glow
    - Inner Glow
    - Bevel and emboss
    - Contor
    - Texture
    - Satin
    - Color overlay
    - Gradiant overlay
    - Pattern overlay
    - Stroke

Out of them I think you have most of the needed ones already covered, being able to control the glow/shadow a bit more like in PS would be nice ie being able to add noise etc to them but not 100% required.

Layer Blending filters you have:
    Normal - already exists heh
    Disolve - Not really needed imho
    Darken
    Multiply
    Color burn
    liner burn
    lighten
    screen
    Color dodge
    Liner dodge
    overlay
    - all the lighting ones
    differnce
    exclusion
    hue
    saturation
    luminence
    color

out of them the ones i'd proberly like to see the most are these set
    Darken
    Multiply
    Color burn
    liner burn
    lighten
    screen
    Color dodge
    Liner dodge
    overlay

mainly because they give you a lot of control over lightening/darkening sections of a graphic in ps on a map it lets you do things like easily darken a specific area etc as I meantioned above while retaining the items doing the lighting.

Anyway hope that helps and gives others who might not have Photoshop an Idea of the filters etc that ps offers been a while since I used PSP so i can't comment there.. but then i've never expected CC3 to be like photoshop if I need to I have always just exported what I need and used PS to do the rest.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    The way CC3 builds up the image is that it applies the current filter to the current sheet, then adds it to the sum of the previous sheets. I think this means we can't do the multiply/darken etc. I could be wrong though.
  • most likely, as I said just would be nice, i'm not expecting it to happen.. part of that is as you said, it does it sheet by sheet i'm guessing your basically running a rasterise on each layer then it add's the effects, does so to each layer and then draws the image to the window in CC3?

Cause if that's the case your right it's very unlikely that you'll be able to get a darken/multiply/dodge etc because they work by effecting the layers under them.. rather then the layer itself.. i'd have to look through some code snipits myself to work it out heh.. but I'm fairly certain that's how it does it which means it's a no go..

I don't think that any of the other effects in Photoshop are a major addon to CC3, they honestly are simply Special FX filters etc.. only one i can think of there is diffuse and honestly it's mainly one that you'd use post production rather then durring in my experiance.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Personally, I'd like to see some noise filters (uniform, gaussian, perlin, turbulence) and some of the fancier artistic filters. Blending filters would have to be a different kind of filter but might be useful.

I think it would be nice to be able to have effects and modifiers directly on the sheets dialog (similar to the Photoshop Layers window) but that's not really a filter type.
  • It would be neat if, in addition to 'all sheets' effects, we could inserts an effect that affects 'all sheets below this one'.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: loydbIt would be neat if, in addition to 'all sheets' effects, we could inserts an effect that affects 'all sheets below this one'.
    An effect which affects all sheets up to a particular point would not be hard to implement technically, but would require a lot of thought from a user interface point of view.

Rob, can you post an example of what can be done with blending; loydb, and example of what can be done with adjustment layers?
  • The effect I have in mind is "everything below this layer is sepia, everything above is full color".
  • simon: when i get a little bit of time to sit down and do it I will do.