Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLeviathus
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013 edited

Hiya guys! Another map from little me.

This is a world map of my world Eterna (the island of Vulcan is also part of it).
    I used the good ol' Mercator Style from the very first annual. I wanted to use this style for quick and "dirty" world mapping and didn't want to pay much attention to the mountains, rivers etc.
    Most of the place names and political/regional borders (not too fond of them though) are still placeholders. On my blog you can find the larger version and the original map I drew some time ago.

Thoughts and feedback are welcome!
      Eterna_Wold_800.jpg
    • CommentAuthorjigsawman
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013

Damned nice map! The continents are wonderful. The only thing I might change if it were my map would be to make the country boundaries a little more transparent. They almost jump out at you too much.
    JSM
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013 edited

Wow, absolutely gorgeous!

I agree with JSM; increasing the transparency of the political/regional boundaries might improve it even more. Otherwise, I think it looks great. Just the right amount of mountains and forests, I think, to give the right impression. One other thing, now that I'm looking hard at the map... what about major rivers?

I'm floored, though. The idea that this was "a quick and dirty" map blows my mind.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorLeviathus

Thanks for the feedback on the boundaries guys! They indeed stand out way too much, I'll change that as soon as I got time to work on it again.

Posted By: Dogtag
    One other thing, now that I'm looking hard at the map... what about major rivers?

I'm floored, though. The idea that this was "a quick and dirty" map blows my mind.

There are a few major rivers but they're pretty hard to see as the most of them get obscured by forests or mountains. But I always can add a few more ;)

Well Dogtag, I already had my sketch so I could trace it over... the landmasses were done in no time!
    • CommentAuthorMoskva

Maybe the borders wouldn't stand out so much if you change the colors slightly to colors with a softer
    tone. Maybe this is a good example http://www.profantasy.com/rpgmaps/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2007-Mercator.jpg
    I'm not sure about the example map because i dont own this style, but you can copy the colors from it.

The continents look great
    • CommentAuthorLeviathus

Thanks for the suggestions Moskva, that's a solution too! I'll look into that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Great map, nicely done.
    I've always been very fond of this style, the Mercator style is still my favorite CC3 overland style. I used it myself for the main world map for my new AD&D world.
    • CommentAuthorSven

great feel to it. Nicely done!
    Very pleasing map. The country colored boundaries doesn't strike me that much though I'd indeed try another choice of colors or transparency effect to compare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013

*sighs* I love the style, especially since it was my the first drawing the style I created for CC3.
    • CommentAuthorLeviathus
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013

Well, it is a nice style! And I was very pleased to see that it is a great style for regional maps too.

Thanks for the comments everyone!