Default install llocation

Hi all,

I need to find out what the default install location is for CC3.

The issue I've run into is that some (most) of the addons I purchased don't ask you where you put it. If it isn't where it's expected to be, the install aborts. Very irksome, that. I'd LIKE to get my program installed and running with all the addons, but they can't find the program, and the install script - I uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, REBOOTED, and reinstalled - still remembers the old location I gave it rather than letting me tell it to use the default.

Thanks,
~Ravensun

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2008
    All official CC3 addons should find the CC3 directory automatically, no matter where you installed it to. If the path stored in the registry is wrong, running CC3 once should update this information, and add-ons should install correctly after that.

In any case, the default location for CC3 is %ProgramFiles%\ProFantasy\CC3, where %ProgramFiles% points to your Program Files directory (That would normally be C:\Program Files under an English version of Windows)
  • If you have Vista, its security causes problems. Install in 'c:\profantasy\ not in Program files. You may also have to run asAdministrator.
  • I use Vista, and I have had absolutely no issues with CC3 in any normal capacity. Installing through an Administrator account, or an account with Administrator-level access is all that's really needed. You get the confirmation pop-ups to "run as an administrator" that everybody seems to despise (assuming you haven't disabled the feature), but other than that things work fine. The only other "hiccup" (in my opinion it's NOT a hiccup, though) is that anytime you access the standard install path you need to confirm administrator access. This happens if you copy or move files into the folder manually yourself. This is because your Program Files folder (and its contents) are protected to prevent malware (viruses and trojans) from messing with your programs without your permission.

I don't recommend installing outside of the Program Files folder for two main reasons:

1. You're subverting the natural malware defences built into Windows by creating a potential (unlikely, but still POSSIBLE) entrance for viruses into your system.
    2. Things become unorganized when you've got a million folders in your root (C:\ or whatever drive you install on), and while this is more of a personal issue, it also makes support more difficult later on.