Planescape - Mechanus

If you've ever played using the 2E Planescape rules, you know that there is no way to really map the outer planes. What I choose to do instead is give a visual representation of what my players might see.

Here is my representation of the Gears of Mechanus. If you've never played on the outer planes, it probably won't make much sense. Still, I thought I'd share just to throw in something a little different.

The art is from the CSUAC, the Dundjinni forums, and possibly a few other places (I can't always remember where I find the art). I wish I had had time to improve the resolution on some of the gears but high level adventures take forever to lay out. This adventure is taking the PCs from the Prime city of Angali (I have a map of that on here somewhere), to the First Layer of Baator, on through Acheron and then into Mechanus. Funny how sometimes a simple adventure takes on a life of its own. :)

Comments

• 1. The map/image is awesome
    2. Haven't played planescape in like 15 years, but I remember that it was awesome.
    3. The perspective on the big gears on the sides is awesome...were you able to do that by adjusting the x and y settings on the symbol size or is there another method?

so yeah...awesome
  • Nevet played it but read a few books playing in the planescape setting.

Pretty cool map.
  • 1 year later
  • Nice work!

I've been playing Planescape for almost as long as I have been roleplaying. Its an infinite setting so... no intention to stop any time soon.

What you say is absolutely true. Mapping the outer planes is futile but it is good to give players something to look at or even put their tokens/miniatures on. I'm interested in making some area maps of small parts of the outer planes. say a bit of 4th layer Baator, a bit of Bytopia etc. with visual reference of the planar pathways used for travel between areas.

Any ideas?

Do you have a map of your area in Baator and Acheron?

kind regards,

Xander
  • Unfortunately, I do not. Updating from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 has broken most of my maps because I was lazy and made my fills point to an absolute location on my drive. My maps are now a bunch of red X's and I'm getting continual crashes as I try to update them. I'm hoping that CC3+ will fix the crashes when it is released. Until then I'm not going to fix my old maps; too much hassle.
  • Posted By: ShessarI'm getting continual crashes as I try to update them
    Don't tell me. I'm loosing whole days updating bitmap fills :(

Any hint or workaround anyone?
  • Move the folder to different locations under CC3 until the rest Xs go away ?