Myrr (Fantasy Viking Country)

Took a brief hiatus from my Desert Maps (...no worries, I'll annoy you guys with more of that stuff soon...). My fiancee wants to introduce a viking character into our Al-Qadim game (got lost at sea, shipwrecked in the desert), so I thought i'd create a map of her homeland. Myrr is a viking clan of Orcs who have pillaged/plundered their way to ruling over a vast semi-arctic region. Its heavily inspired by maps of Denmark, Iceland, and Alaska.

I still need to add rivers, labels, etc. But, I'm pretty happy with how the mountains turned out. I ended up make 3 sheets with varying edge fade inner, glow, bevel, and wall shadow effects. I'm not 100% of the final land formation yet...may want to add some more islands and stuff. And, i'm not 100% on the textures/colors I used for the land and sea...But comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcomed.

*That export came out horribly...let me try that again
Myrr.JPG 804.1K

Comments

• Well...having trouble figuring out how to make it export right...here's a screen shot...anyone know of a good way to export without the effects getting all messed up?
  • anomiecoalitionanomiecoalition Traveler
    edited December 2012
    OK....closer inspection revealed that much of this had to do with the multipoly (problem was not just overlapping intersections, but also really tight spaces and sharp corners.) I also switched to using a lighted bevel which seems to be a little less temperamental than the regular bevel.

*its a bit of a monet (looks better from a distance than close up)...still might need to mess with the mountain ridge.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    It does look cool from a distance. Nice! Way to experiment. I even like the border and the name plate (good choice of font). May I suggest reversing the bevel on the map name to make it look chiseled in, rather than bas relief, and see how that looks?

Oh, and more fjords! ;-)

Looks good. Your fiancee's character is from a tough neighborhood!

~Dogtag
  • First, it does look good (from a distance). Needs a bit of tweaking when looked at closer.

Second. Having a fiancee that is into roleplaying. COOL :-)

Third. Where did you get those mountains. They look good.

Fourth. A vinking in the desert. Thinking of a fur/chain mail character in the heat. Lots of roleplay possibilities.

Fifth. Not to sure about Dogtag's suggestion bout the bevel. I kinda like it this way.

Sixth. Myrr needs more ice. Somehow it looks barren but not "cold" enough.
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've inverted the bevel and played with some other settings on the text to reflect what Dogtag was saying. I've also added a ton more rivers...hope I didn't go overboard.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to see how she roleplays this...she still a little new to the whole thing (making the map as a means of encouraging her with it more.) I followed Henri's advice and added some layers of ice/snowy/texture hill type things.

I think I might still want to add in forest regions...not sure if that will clutter the whole thing up.

The mountains I made...I have 3 sheets. Base Mount, Mid Mount, and Mount Ridge. All of them have an edge fade inner (with reduced transparency) and glow (set to inside) which goes above the edge fade on the list. The Mid Mount and Mount Ridge sheets also have a lighted bevel (the Mount Ridge has a more severe bevel going on and a directional shadow effect).
  • Can i ask are you using one of the annuals for this style ? If so what is it ?
  • I'm not using the annuals...though I used the sea texture provided with the most recent annual for the ocean. All of the textures and Bitmaps I use can be found in the CSUAC, Dunjinni Forums, or CGtextures.com.
  • Happy new year all...my fiance went to bed (super lame)...so here's an update...
    edited January 2013
    and here's one with forests...made them very subtle...just can't decide if I like this version better.

*now i'm thinking i should fractilize those rivers a bit
    edited January 2013
    Whenever I look at this map, I hear Zeppelin's Immigrant Song playing in my head. Are you going to do any detailed regional maps for this? If so, do you plan to stick with this style or is this just for the larger "world map"?

Between the fairly muted colors and the strong glow effects, the map has an otherworldly, "mists of time" kind of feel that I think is very fitting for the lands you described. Nice job.

~Dogtag
    edited January 2013
    Lol....great song....This map was intended as a little detour and I have no immediate plans for doing zoomed in stuff for it just yet. However, I like extreme environments, so perhaps after I'm done torturing my friends with Desert (Al-Qadim), maybe i'll take us to the land of Myrr and engage in an Arctic mapping obsession.

Here's an update with a new font (liked the old one, but it wasn't working when I tried to start labeling things.) I experimented alot with exploding text and inner glow. Not sure how successful its been.

I still need to create/fill in city/settlement areas so I can do more labeling. I was thinking of just using fancy dots for places...anyone know where i can find something like that?
  • Thanks...i'm calling this "tentatively done"...I developed some back story for the area which has allowed me to do some labeling, but not enough to finish the map...and i'm not sure when i'll have the time to come back to it.

You can see a full res version on my blog, along with some ramblings about the history of the area. (Viking pillage and plunder)

http://drunkennerdery.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/the-myrr-dominion/
  • 1 year later
  • NodNod
    edited December 2014

I moved my question to the support forums

Nod