New 4th Edition Forgotten Realms mapping..

I don't know how many people here have the new FRCG for 4th edition, but those who do might have seen the map.. I've noticed that while parts of it use map techniques we are familar with, other sections do not.. examples of this:

The mountains appear to be done mainly using a bevel effect rather then the old effect.. how did i get around to this conclusion? if you have the map and look at the cloud peaks you'll notice that there are some 'flat' areas on the mountains caused by beveling.. the Earthspire Mountains also show this effect even better, not to mention the entire thay region.

other examples of this are also the smaller 'hillish' like areas near lake Draco and bride keep.

I've managed something simular to this effect in both CC3 and Photoshop before with the bevel options..

The forests: well these are obviously not done in the old style, there actual bitmap graphics by the looks of it.

Land items: Obviously bitmap items they aren't flat colors this time around.

water: See above.

I've attached a small scanned section of the map here to show what I mean.. I was wondering if Ralph or the like might have suggestions on how we can mimic the style.. I'll post up anything I come up with as I 'play'.

map section 1

map section 2

These show what I mean.

-Rob.

Comments

• RobRob
    edited August 2008
    ok, first off the smaller (brown hills) is easy to get.. just add a bevel or lighted bevel at:

Lighted Bevel:

Size: 2
    Intensity: 1
    Lightness Base: 1
    Lightness Range: 1
    Smoothing: 1 - 3 depending on how 'smooth' you want it to look.

this will give you something like this:

Not perfect but you get the idea.. the problem i'm running into is the mountains, while you can get the effect fairly easy in photoshop.. (you can manually tweek and watch until it's right + layed others on to subtract, add noise etc).. it's not so easy in CC3 :/.. still working on that.
  • I just want to see a new FR Atlas...