Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorrattokan
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012

Hi!
    Does a Macro or XP exist, that automates the export of all sheets of a map into separate bitmap files?
    This would be perfect for further editing in PS or Gimp.
    It's quite annoying to always export them manually if i just want to check intermediate workresults
    in another application
    • CommentAuthorjigsawman

Being new to this stuff, the first thing to my mind is why would you export separate sheets to edit in PS? Thanks in advance for an explanation.
    JSM
    • CommentAuthorrattokan

Because then i could apply different effects and filters to different layers.
    I.e. I could just duplicate the rivers without their outline, give the topmost-layer a slightly transparent shine.
    Or duplicate the treesymbol (black&white) layer, give it another color and a little offset and a motion blur...
    Compared to the CC3 effects you have endless options.
    At the moment I am working on something that should look like ink on parchment...
      x1.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

You can apply different effects to different sheets, not layers.
    • CommentAuthorNils

I think the point is that Photoshop/Gimp offer even more possibilities than CC3, but then you'd really need to have the sheets from CC3 on different layers in PS/Gimp. I guess he did not talk about the layers in CC3.

Nils

Btw, the map looks cool on the parchment background!
    • CommentAuthorrattokan

Yes exactly Nils. I use the effects in CC3 if they fit. but some stuff is not possible. always makes sense to pimp it up later.
    What i do at the moment is: Hide all except Sheet1, export, hide all except Sheet2, export with other name...
    Then import them all into i.e. one Gimp project, use Layer->Color 2 Transparency on all of them separately...
    • CommentAuthorjigsawman

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I was already doing that sort of. I put my finished maps into PS and add things there as I see fit but never considered the layers aspect of it all. Very cool idea.
    JSM
    • CommentAuthorNils

Hm, according to the Tome there is a Hide Sheet command, which can be used within a Macro. However, that seems to work only with the name of the sheet, so you'd have to program into the Macro manually and can't use a simple loop. Also, the export as a bitmap file seems not to be available as a Macro command.

Nils
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Open the sheet dialogue. Select the sheet you want to show. Click on Hide All to hide the rest.
    • CommentAuthorrattokan

@JimP: thats just what i wrote (or at least meant)

@Nils: I was hoping that that this would be available to macro somehow.
    • CommentAuthorrattokan

SAVEASM seems to save it to the fileformat specified by the filename's extension. but for bmp it does not take the settings that i need :(
    I guess it is possible to writen an XP for that as these guys here www.pkdata.se/xp/optima32.html have one for sale so that you can do a macro like

' This macro will export all sheets as DWG files with [file namne]+_SHEET_+[sheet name]
    MACRO SDWGOUT
    GFNSP FName *.DWG
    IFERR end
    SAUTOHIDEON
    SSET;
    :loop
    SNEXT
    IFERR end
    SGETNAME SName
    GL DName FName
    APND DName _SHEET_
    APND DName SName
    APND DName .DWG
    SAVEASM DName
    IFP 1 loop
    :end
    ENDM
    • CommentAuthorNils
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012

There are different commands for "SAVEASM" (in FCW or similar format) and "EXPORT" (as bitmap, I guess), and from what I understood in the Tome, the latter is not available in Macros, for whatever reason.

Nils
    • CommentAuthorrattokan

When i do SAVEASM and enter text.jpg as filename, I get a jpg. So it basically seems to do what i want. But when i use text.bmp it creates a compressed bmp with a lousy resolution and just 8bit.
    So the only issue is that i cant influence the export settings for the bmp
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: rattokan@JimP: thats just what i wrote (or at least meant)

@Nils: I was hoping that that this would be available to macro somehow.

Sorry, my eyes must have skipped over it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012

Posted By: rattokanSo the only issue is that i cant influence the export settings for the bmp
    I've had some issues with BMP myself with the SAVEASM command. However, have you tried using a png file instead? As png is also lossless, it should be just as good for importing into PS as a bmp file.
    You can also use the VBSM command. This is used for exporting a rectangular selection however, so it means you must also supply the appropriate coordinates from your map.
    • CommentAuthorMattVG
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2017 edited

So... I realize I'm resurrecting a long dead thread, but I've just begun my journey toward learning CC3+ and rendering out a separate file for each sheet is something I feel is a necessity. It looks like saving each sheet out as a separate PNG is possible via scripting. Has anyone written such a script or has CC3+ had this functionality built into it in the past five years?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2017

You can just hide all sheets you don't want to export. Do a Save As, and export the one visible sheet as a png or jpg or bmp. No scripting required.

But I'm a bit confused why you would need to do this.

Symbols on one sheet, ocean on another sheet, land masses on another sheet.
    • CommentAuthorMattVG

@JimP, Thank you for your response. Turning a sheet's visibility off, rendering, and repeating for 19 sheets is a bit cumbersome, but not terrible I think.

I guess it's not completely necessary, but it's extremely useful if I want to work with each individual layer later in a graphics program. It makes it easier to add my own textures, effects, and to paint in further details. I can do this with a map where all the layers are all flattened and rendered together, but it's not as nice or as easy to work with.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I think you are confusing layers with sheets.

Sheets determine what is drawn when CC3/CC3+ redraws and exports.

Layers are there to group similar items.
    • CommentAuthorMattVG

I'm still learning, but, sheets in CC3+ seem to be what other programs call layers whereas layers in CC3+ are more like groups. This is my current understanding. I'm working through Joe Sweeney's videos right now.

I plan to export each sheet separately, so I can use them as separate layers in my graphics program.... I think that's what I'm trying for. I haven't explored layers in CC3+ yet, so I may still be misunderstanding things.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

That sounds better. Or I finally understood.

You can do lots of things in CC3/CC3+. I know some of the profesional folks here do export their maps and work with them in other software. But I"m not skilled in artistry, so I just use CC3/CC3Plus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

You should be able to write a macro command to do this for you.

SNEXT moves to the next sheet in the list
    WBSM is the macro equivalanent of saving a rectangular section.

If you enter the sheets dialog and enables the option to automatically hide all sheets but the current one, you will only see one sheet at a time, and when working through them with SNEXT, you will only get one by one.

I am a bit sure how to best terminate this gracefully in an automatic manner, but I guess you can have the macro ask for the number of sheets to process though. Means you need to count them up manually first, but that's not that much work.

Edit: Looking back in the thread to the old posts, there seems to be macro there already.
    • CommentAuthorMattVG

@Monsen, thank you for that. I haven't looked into scripting just yet, but your idea sounds pretty solid. Thank you for the info. I'll definitely be looking into scripting sometime in the near future (working on getting a handle on the basics right now).