CC-DOS works under DOSBox!

So, I tried CC-DOS 1.2 (with CC-Pro) under DOSBox and it works (almost?) flawlessly.

My current setup:
Windows 7 Professional 64 bits with SP1 and all updates as of today
DOSBox 0.74 (latest version at the time of writing)
I'm sure any other setup that can run DOSBox will work as well.
Note:
No configuration was changed in DOSBox.
Only screen resolution was changed in CCSETUP to 800x600 SVGA (Improved version, requires 386 & EMM); other resolutions may work as well.
Everything else left as default.

What was tested:
-CCSETUP (for configuring CC)
-NED (stand alone as well as from within CC)
-Chapters 2 through 4 of the Campaign Cartographer 1.2 User's Guide, covering:
Basics
Getting Started
Mountains, Forests and Rivers

What has not (yet) been tested:
-Installation (the version I have is the app already installed)
-Chapters 5 through 9 of the Campaign Cartographer 1.2 User's Guide (haven't had time yet, but will update if I get to do this):
Covering Ground
Editing your Map
Cartouches, Symbols and Map Sections
Putting it all together
Printing your Maps
-Add-ons: City Designer, Dungeon Designer, CC-Perspectives and CC-Fonts

Things that misbehave or don't work at all:
-Installing: trying to run "install C:\CC" brings up the main CC-DOS interface, flickers, brings up the menu, then flickers a couple more times, and finally exits back to the command prompt (again, this may be due to the version I have is the app already installed). The install.bat was pointing to a non-existent location. After modifying and running it again (target directory being specified in the script itself), it copied all the files, brought up the main CC-DOS interface flickering a couple of time, then exited back to the command prompt. Files were copied and installation seems successful.
-Sometimes if you leave the screen idle for a while, the "command:" text as well as the mouse cursor start to flicker continuously until you press a key on the keyboard.
-When using Edit > Erase and choosing Decid Forest, the app hangs with the command line reading "Selecting..."
-When using Edit > Change and choosing Text or Font, the app hangs with the command line reading "Selecting..."

Based on my testing, I believe the things I haven't tried yet will work just fine, except maybe an option here and there (as it happened with Edit > Change).
The only thing I'm almost certain won't work is printing, although it may with some additional setup or 3rd party app.
In fact, maybe the things that didn't work for me may work with additional tuning; but that will have to wait for now...

I'll add some screenshots and maybe videos later on :)

Comments