Ramp/Stair Overlay

Hey all. Was creating stairs for a new map and needed a shadow for the railing. I couldn't find one in all the usual spots, so I made one in Photoshop. Enjoy.

I've also included an example of it in use

Comments

• Wow, cool, thanks for sharing! How did you apply the shadow image to the railing?

Nils
  • Just created a regular wall for the rail. Then I took the .png image from above and placed it on top (in a new "shadow" sheet).

before all that, you would need to save the .png to a folder of your choice. Then load up that symbol folder in CC3 and drop it in.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2012
    Ha! Took me a minute to figure out what you meant about a shadow for the railing. I guess I always looked at those walls as floor-to-ceiling numbers rather than railings that incline down along with the stairs. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

That brings up an interesting pickle now, though. The shadow cast by the railing — as opposed to the shadow on the railing due to it's descending angle — is the same length (depth?) as shadows cast by the walls. A railing of 1/2 or 1/3 height or so would cast a much shorter shadow.

Could that be addressed by putting the rail-wall on it's own sheet (Wall - Railing maybe?) with a different Wall Shadow effect setting? That could be pretty handy, actually, since you could then make the railing any height, including low enough to be more of an "edging" along the outside of the stairs rather than a "railing."

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Ha...glad to know i'm not the only nut who thought of that (though i'd wager to say i might be the most neurotic about silly details on this forum)...I actually did create a separate sheet for rails for that very reason...but I also create sheets for just about everything.

Here's a shot of another part of this palace complex I'm working on. Its supposed to depict a set of stairs the run between two buildings that lead to the main palace. (So,the bottom of the stairs is the bottom of buildings and the top of the stairs is the height of the top of the buildings..but bottom of the palace...if all that makes any sense). I think I'm pretty close, but not sure if there's anything I can do to make it look more like it.
  • here's a shot of the palace complex thus far. Still got a lot to do with it (post it in its own thread once i'm done).
  • Jealous sigh :-)
    This is going to be another great map.
  • Wow, I am humbled. Looking forward to see this palace finished.