Do Castles & Temples Drawing Tools Work in CC3?

Do the drawing tools that come with Source Maps: Castles and Temples & Catacombs work in CC3? I don't want to hunt down my install media if not :)

Thanks,
Loyd

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    AFAIK, No. There is no compatibility updates for these yet, and CC2 stuff thrown into a CC3 install doesn't tend to work very well. I am really hoping for a compatibility update for these soon myself, as well as the WWII atlas.
  • Bummer. Ok, thanks, I'm glad I didn't install...
  • I did played around with moving over some of the functions from the WWII Atlas into CC3 and it did work pretty well. I did NOT install the WWII Atlas into CC3 though. I just did some copy/paste work with the CC3 menu files, copied the symbol files to the CC3 folder (changing the references in the CC3 menu system to point to there for the Atlas symbols), and copied the arrow command file into the CC3 folder. This last was important for giving back the nifty arrow function that was included with the WWII Atlas. If you just want the symbols, you can just open the catalog browser to your CC2/Pro symbol directory and navigate to the WWII Atlas symbol folder there. If you want the Arrow functionality in CC3, copy the file "war.dll" into your CC3 root directory from your CC2/Pro directory, exit and restart CC3.

I haven't played around with SM Castles or SM Temple, Tombs, and Catacombs but I bet the process is very similar. There might be some glaring incompatibility issues I haven't bumped into yet though. The symbol catalogs are NOT sheets aware yet. This is probably the biggest issue with the various Source Maps sets when using the symbols and such from them in CC3. I hope some updates will be made available some time for them.
  • Yeah I still have CC2 installed on my computer as well so I can use Castles & Temples and the Harn map tool set when I need to.
  • the draw effects should work in cc2 and then be able to convert to cc3. it's an extra step, i know, but....
  • Lath's right, with some 'playing around' you can get most of the stuff working before compat updates etc are released.. the thing i'd suggest though is that you BACK UP your CC3 directory or at least the files your playing with first.

This is how you can get most of the draw tools into CC3, note you will need to do some modification in the advanced (to set up sheets etc):

first off look in your CC3 directory you will notice you have (depending on your install) a bunch of folders including:

Bitmaps
    Documentation
    Examples
    Filters
    etc..

The one your looking for here is System. Withing the system folder you will see another folder called surprisingly Drawtools.

If you look you will see a fair amount of folders (based on what you have installed) these are all your drawing tools they all have a .dto extension. what you want to do is find the same .dto files in your CC2 install for the items your after, make a folder in the System/Drawtools directory called (using the castles here as an example) - Castles.

Once you have that made copy and paste the draw tools into the folder.

now if you start up cc3 and click on the 'All drawing tools'' option (it looks like a hammer and pen) you will see that there is a drop down menu on the upper right.. by clicking this and looking down you should have a new option called 'Castles' and clicking it will bring up all the castle drawing tools..

To make them work with sheets, click on advanced then go through manually editing each draw tool adding in sheet names etc to them.

Remember some of these MIGHT need symbol based hatching etc files.. if they do you need to find the hatch style and add it to your CC3\Hatches\ directory.

Templates...

Ok these are a bit tricker and also a bit easier.. first of all you have to remember CC2 did not use sheets how CC3 does, so a lot of the CC2 templates don't have sheets set up how we would have them in cc3. Along with this is the fact that CC3 has the 'wizard'. Now i'm not about to go into detail on how to get the wizard side to work, but I will show you how to get the actual templates in so you can use them with the Deside settings myself.

First off if you look in your folders you will see you have CC3\Templates\ this is the directory where templates are stored in here you will have folders such as:

Overland Map
    Cities
    Dungeons
    Cosmographer
    Symbol Catalogs
    etc

based on what you have installed.

Now we are going to make a new folder called 'Castles' this will bring up a new option when we go file - new.

Now all you need to do to be able to access the templates in the decide settings myself is copy your Castles .fct (templates) into the new castles directory, when you go to file - new, decide settings myself, click on castles click next you'll see all the templates.

Again remember that these are NOT going to be 100% correct unless you go in, edit each save it out as a new template.

To get the wizard to work you'd have to create a folder called Wizard in the Castles directory, you would then need to have the following items (using castle.fct as an example).

castle.fct
    castle.png - this needs to be a 136x97 pixel png file, it is the little picture you see in the wizard.
    castle.txt - This is the text you see when you click on an item in the wizard.

------------

Symbols

Symbols are as easy as just copying them to a folder in your symbols directory.. then opening the catalog and updating the sheets etc.. you'll find there are a few examples of doing this posted up by linda around here.

---------

Menus:

Ok menu's are tricky, you have to play with the .mnu files and honestly I'm not going to go into it, I tend not to some one else can with more experiance here at that side of it.

--------

Extra 'Tools' that come in .dll's

These generally require some menu editing as mentioned above, however most of the time the .dll's will work with cc3, but not always PERFECTLY.. it's after all why we wait for compat updates.. again using .dll's is kinda use at your own risk.

Hopefully this helps.
  • Well, it helped me decide to wait for the release, so thanks :)