John Speed Map Annual is gone?!?

Ok I went to start a new John Speed style city map and as in the Mapping Guide I selcted NEW->City Maps->checked Decide Settings Myself->Clicked Next->No John Speed Style option at all.

I ran CA2007 over in repair and its still not there. Whats going on?

*edit*

Its still not available that way but I can select the template manually but its all messed up. There is some wierd border that takes up half of the map and does not allow you to draw in that half, when I delete it then the border is transparent and not in the forground. I really don't understand whats going on. Could the August 2008 annual John Speed effect this version?

*edit again*

This problem with the background/border is only on the two smallest maps.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sounds like something in your installation has got corrupted somehow. I don't think it is caused by later annuals though, as I have them all installed, as well as everything else for CC3, and my John Speed maps works fine, both templates and wizard.

If you have the standalone John Speed issue of the annual available, as opposed to the complete 2007 Pack, installing that might fix the issue, as might uninstalling and reinstalling the 2007 issue completely (A repair install isn't always good enough). I would also advice you to check if you have problems with any other templates, or if this is limited to just the John Speed annual issue.

If the above doesn't help, you might wish to submit a tech support request to ProFantasy or this issue. Maybe they know what might be going on.
  • I uninstalled the 2007 complete pack and reinstalled it and it still did not fix it. I will submit it to tech support.
  • I recently checked the annual 2007 package myself and found that there is no John Speed option, as mentioned above, if starting a new City Map.

There _are_ some John Speed templates, but starting the empty template and switching between symbol sets, will result in no John Speed Symbol to be found anymore at all...
  • To access the John Speed city map templates you need to use the "Pick a Pre-defined template" option not the "Decide settings myself" option. Try this & see what happens.
    Actually Linda, John Speed templates should be accessible both ways. Ive got a rather freshly installed CC3 here with everything PF has to offer installed, and I have (working) John Speed templates both from "Decide myself" and "Pick a Pre-defined". My test install on a different computer also allows both ways without problem.
  • I'm looking into this as I do not have both options.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited August 2008
    It looks like a little bug crept into the Annual 2007 full install:

- The wizard template is misnamed *.fcw instead of *.fct.
    Simply locate the file Annual John Speed.fcw in your CC3/Templates/Cities/Wizard/ folder and rename it to Annual John Speed.fct. This will make the style available again from the wizard.

- Also, the two templates with 750' in them have a messed-up map border.

Fix both issues by unzipping this file over your CC3/Templates/Cities/ folder.
  • Thank you Ralf, after fiddling around with Vista's rights management for administrative installation reasons it seems to work now. The only problem right now is, that you won't get to the John Speed Vegetation, House Features, Towers, Walls, etc. Symbol sets by selecting the City designer buttons, but have to load the symbol sets manually to get to the desired set. Maybe there is still a minor bug ? I appreciate your help, as you'd probably be quite busy with CD3 and other stuff as well....

BR, Targas
  • Way Hey!! All working as it is suppose to. Thank you Ralf and everyone else!
  • 11 days later
  • Dang it! No it is not working.

Any time I try any of the draw tool I now get

No Matching Draw Tool

There is no draw tool matching your

selection in the current draw tool style.

edited September 2008
    Does this happen for all your JS maps, or just one particular one? If only for one particular one, try accessing "All Map Drawing Tools" [DRAWTOOLSP], and make sure the map is using the "John Speed City" style.
  • No I tried making a new john Speed City and it was still doing it.

I assume that to access this "All Map Drawing Tools" that I must type [DRAWTOOLSP]? It still gives the same message.

"Add Room" and "Add Corridor" work. If I right click on the city menu and select "City Draw Tool" I get the same message. This is only when I run a John Speed Map and only since I unzipped the files Ralf had instructed to do. Doing that did fix the issue of John Speed city option but now I get this new problem.
  • edited September 2008
    I've just tested it on my machine and I got the same result ("No Matching Draw Tool"). And I also used Ralfs zip-file to update my Annual 2007 full install.
  • Not that I thought it would but the new patch does not fix the problem. I will go ahead and send an email to tech support.
    Please follow these steps:

- Start a new map based on the Annual John Speed template wizard.
    - Switch to the CC3 or CD2/CD3 menu
    - Click the All Drawing Tools button. That's the one with the crossed tools (4th down, second vertical toolbar)

What happens?

If you get "No matching drawing tool", got to File > Drawing Properties. What does "Style" list there?
  • Posted By: RalfPlease follow these steps:

- Start a new map based on theAnnual John Speedtemplate wizard.
    - Switch to the CC3 or CD2/CD3 menu
    - Click theAll Drawing Toolsbutton. That's the one with the crossed tools (4th down, second vertical toolbar)

What happens?
    I get "No matching drawing tool"
    Posted By: RalfIf you get "No matching drawing tool", got to File > Drawing Properties. What does "Style" list there?
    Draw tool style "John Speed City"
  • Highland_PiperHighland_Piper Surveyor
    edited September 2008
    HA!

There is a "John Speed City(2)" when you select the drop down box from File > Drawing Properties

Then everything works fine.

Thanks Ralf!

Actually looking into it every Annual (2007 & 2008) now has two versions. Normal and one with (2) at the end.
    Check your folder CC3/System/Drawtools/
    Does it have a folder called "John Speed City"? Does it have files in it?

If not, it (and the drawing tools with it) went missing at some point. Try re-running the Annual install for that month (or a repair install if you've got the whole thing in one piece).
  • Highland_PiperHighland_Piper Surveyor
    edited September 2008
    Actually looking into it every Annual (2007 & 2008) now has two versions. Normal and one with (2) at the end.

None of the ones without the (2) have files in it. Should I just delete those folders and rename the ones with the (2)??
    Yes! That should fix your problem. Something strange has happened in there in the install I assume.
  • Ok. Thanks again Ralf now I can get back to populating my wiki with maps!
  • WOOT! Yup deleting the empty folders and renaming the ones with the (2) to the proper name (without the (2) ) worked!
  • Just to let any one else know who had this problem. You will have extra folders in Profantasy -> CC3 -> Annual

In mine the extra folders were called Issue 01, 03, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11, and 12

Those folders were empty and each one also had a duplicate file with (2) after it that had the actual files in it.

Also I'd like to note folders 05 and 11 have folders in them which are also named with a (2) after it. I went and renamed those as well.