Qin-era map (ancient China)

This is my first digital battle map. Please let me know what you think.

Qin-era map / part A

Qin-era map / part B

1,500 x 1,500 pixel files can be downloaded here:

Part A

Part B

RPG: Qin - The Warring States.

Scale: 1 square is 1m2.

Mapping software: Campaign Cartographer 3 and Dungeon Designer 3.

Symbols: Devin Night's "Map Objects: Qin Dynasty" (fouruglymonsters.com), CC3/DD3/SS2 symbols, Dundjinni forums, rpgmapshare.com, greytale.com as well as the Gamemaster Syndicate Ruins Pack for CC3.

Thanks,

Mogul76

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Very nice map. Looks very good with all those little details all over the map, preventing large monotone areas.
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, Monsen. I've used a very simple technique which is explained in the 3rd volume of the 2007 annual. I'm currently working on a new map where I'm improving this technique by applying sheet effects. This is how the background will look like:

Photobucket

Add lots of trees (... I'm planning to "build in" a bamboo forest), some shrubs, rocks, etc. and you'll get the picture ;-)

By the way, does anyone else have feedback regarding the first map I've posted?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Excellent stuff. I can't really think of anything to say to improve it ... or hmm... have you tried using a small bevel on the walls? I always like the little 3d effect it gives them
  • I'm honestly amazed. I'm in East Asian Studies in university, and this is the type of stuff I study in some of my courses. You've really captured the feel of a Chinese compound-style property. The layout really strikes me as well-done.

My only gripe (and I honestly feel like a jerk for even mentioning such a tiny little detail), is that the stables seem a little small - imagine getting horses in and out of there with any room to breathe. The chances of this mattering are honestly slim to none, but I thought I'd mention it at the very least. Regardless, this map is some amazing work. I'd have to say this is a 10/10 as far as my expectations for this type of thing go.
  • TomeTome Betatester
    I would have to agree with the above statements. This is unbelievable work.
    edited August 2008
    Wow... Thanks for all that kind feedback.
    I'm planning to create a whole series of maps for my campaign set in ancient China and the positive response motivates me to continue with my project (... mapping can be a time-consuming hobby) :-)

@ Ralph: The walls actually do have a small bevel (length 0.25, strength 20 and fade 1). The jpeg which I have posted is probably so small that the bevel effect can't be seen. Here's another extract:

Photobucket

@ Dally: That's really cool. I love the history of Eastern Asia (especially China during the Warring States and Three Kingdoms period... but other eras such as the Song and Ming dynasty are also very interesting). If you are interested in RPG's set in China you may want to check out Qin: The Warring States which is available as a PDF at drivethrurpg.com or as a hardcopy book at amazon.com. By the way, you're absolutely right: The stables are too small and those poor horses must be suffering... I find scaling one of the hardest parts of creating a map.

@ Tome: Thank you!
  • I'm definitely going to head over there and check that out,thanks for the info Mogul76!

I'm curious though, about how long would you say it took you to craft that first map? I've been a long time lurker of fantasy cartography, but I'm only now getting into actually mapping for myself and learning the various programs. I'm curious to know how long it took you to put together that masterpiece!
    Yes, it took a LOT of time to create this first map. The most time-consuming part was getting the right textures and symbols. Good seamless textures can be found HERE. One of the main problems when creating maps for oriental settings is that hardly any appropriate symbols can be found. Most symbols delivered with mapping tools such as Campaign Cartographer and Dungeon Designer revolve around medieval-fantastic, science-fiction and modern-day themes. This is also holds true for the mapping objects which can be downloaded on the Dundjinni forums. I therefore commissioned an artist to create a symbol set for ancient Chinese settings. I watched a dozen of movies and documentaries and made hundreds of screenshots. The artist drew the images by hand, imported them in Adobe Illustrator and colourised them in PhotoShop. All of this was a lot of work but I had a lot of fun doing it.

CC3/DD3 is not that hard to use if you understand the basics. Many functions are explained in the help menu. Joseph Sweeney's movie tutorials will help you familiarise with the most important functions. But the annuals are a very valuable resource as well, especially if you need additional information on sheet effects. The first step involves developing an own generic fill style. Just start an empty map and save it in \ProFantasy\CC3\System\Fill Styles. Then import your tiles (i.e. textures) in that empty map and create a set of fill styles and drawing tools (make sure that the textures are first saved \ProFantasy\CC3\Bitmaps\Tiles\YourName... use the "import pngs" function to create various resolutions...). When you open a new map, use the insert file command which can be found in the draw menu to import your fill styles and drawing tools. The good thing is that can use them over and over again. Hence, I will need much less time to create other Qin-style maps in the future.

Then, search Google for images. I just typed in "Chinese courtyard house" and found a lot of floorplans and top-down photographs. That helped. Once you have done all that, it's a quite simple process. A lot of ideas will pop up once you get started. The most important thing is to always keep in mind what atmosphere you'd like to convey through your maps. If you are creating a map for a campaign set in Hyboria (Conan the Barbarian) don't use the symbols which come with CC3 but rather those of the SS2 addon. When drawing a map for BESM (a Manga RPG) don't use photo-realistic symbols and tiles. Etc.
    edited August 2008
    I have slightly changed the size of the stables (... as rightfully suggested by Dally).

Here's the final map:

Larger versions (3,000 x 3,000 pixels) can be downloaded here:

QIN_A_FINAL_3000x3000.png

QIN_B_FINAL_3000x3000.png

QIN_C_FINAL_3000x3000.png

I have also been asked to create a VTT (virtual table top) version of the map (... no furniture, doors, etc.). It can be downloaded in the user-art section of rptools.net. Just click HERE .

If you need character tokens, visit kongming.net/11/portraits/.

Here are some screenshots of the VTT map in MapTool (... the symbols of furniture and items were directly imported into the VTT software... therefore, there aren't any sheet effects such as drop shadows here):

• Thanks for the insight, Mogul76. It's things like saving my own fill styles and such that don't even cross the mind of a new user. The links as well will be helpful. The RotTK portraits is an amazing find!

I'm building a very large campaign world (2 massive continents, about 25% larger than earth I'd guess at this point), with many different cultures. Some of the cultures are loosely based on an Earth culture, while others I'm creating a new. Among the similar cultures will be a few Song/Ming-Dynasty hybrid kingdoms, and even a Sengoku-era (Japanese 15th - 17th cent.) kingdom. I'm creating a world map as well as individual regions and cities. It's a massive endeavour, but your Qin-era map is definitely an inspiration!

I imagine I'll be amassing a large library of textures and symbols, as I also have Celtic, ancient Greek/Roman and medieval middle-eastern cultures among others to touch on. And this is just the Human kingdoms/empires. The fantasy world contains Elves and Dwarves and a few other fantasy creatures of my own creation, each with their own culture!

I'm looking forward to it and I'm glad I stumbled on your map, because it definitely motivates me to create my own!
    Sounds like an exciting place to be :-) Your world reminds me a bit of Glorantha. I think that I have a few ideas which could help you get your battle maps right (... I have no experience with overland mapping in CC3 at all and will learn city mapping with the release of CD3). Drop me an e-mail at mogul 76 (one word) at gmail dot com.

Cheers,

Mogul76
  • 1 year later
  • Are these symbols still available for download?
    edited May 2010
    I did some research on the Internet. Due to the closing down of the original fouruglymonsters.com website the Qin-era symbols do not seem to be available as a download at the moment. However, if you drop DevinNight a private message at cartographersguild.com, I'm sure that he will be able to help you. Due to legal i.e. copyright reasons and my sincere respect for the artist I cannot send you the symbols myself. Good luck & if you manage to obtain the symbols, please do post your maps here.
  • edited May 2010
    Fantastic work. Thanks for sharing it and thanks also for the texture (great) link.