Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorAgatheron
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012 edited

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to CC3, and decided to give it a shot and share my first attempt at doing an overland map using the program.

Some 20 years ago, I both played and wrote a few books for Iron Crown Enterprises, four of which were for their Middle-earth Role Playing game. I was admittedly taken with the maps that Pete Fenlon did, and when I had a chance to write for them to actually see some of my own ideas done with his hand had me nerding out big-time.

Fast forward to the present, after having returned to my home town after a decade and a half, my old RPG group has come back together, and oddly enough we are playing 4th edition D&D and enjoying ourselves immensely. Working with the stock maps was fine, but I looked into CC3 as a way of enhancing the game. When I went to buy CC3 imagine my surprise to see the Annual 2008 containing symbols in Pete Fenlon's style. This was too good to pass up, and it would give me a way to cut my teeth on the program.

Anyway, here's how my first attempt has turned out. This is a smaller picture:
    Photobucket

For a much larger version you can go here

Comments and feedback would very much be welcome as this is my first shot at this.

Ultimately I'd like to expand this map south and east to include other less-detailed areas beyond the Nentir Vale. I enjoyed Pete Fenlon's style back in the day, so it's fun to be able to try it this way. :)

• CommentAuthorpdj
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012

Now that is really, really nice! The way the whole map flows with the rivers is truly easy on the eye.

You deserve big gold stars for that one.
    • CommentAuthorClercon
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012

That is a really great map! I must say for a first try it is really impressive (you should have seen mine). You also have a very good eye when it comes to placing the terrain. This is one of the better maps in this style that I've seen. Keep up the good work.
    • CommentAuthorVintyri
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012 edited

Great design! The rivers and all the rest of the geography make sense!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

A wonderful first map. I'm particular to this style because I've also been a huge fan of Pete Fenlon's work (covering the floor with his region maps to build a huge map of Middle-earth). You've done it more than justice!
    • CommentAuthorDogtag

*is humbled*

I would also like to say "that's a wonderful first map" but, frankly, all I can say is that it's a wonderful map (first, third, tenth, or whatever)! Is this a home-grown land or are you recreating a published map? I really like the map but I also like the area, if that makes sense. I have a real desire to explore the area. Great job!

~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorAgatheron

This is a recreation of a published map. The setting is 4th Edition Dungeon's and Dragon's "generic" setting intended to get Dungeon Masters started in developing their own world. It's less fleshed-out in terms of specifics, but has a lot of broad generalities to get them moving in the right direction. The "stock" map published in the back of the 4th edition DM's guide looks like this:

I used it as a tracing base to develop this map, as well as integrating other stuff that's been developed for the setting. Even so, it all had to fit as if it were naturally part of the landscape. :)

• CommentAuthorModric

My Fenlon style map is embarrassingly bad compared to this! Cheers.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Excuse me a moment while I pick my jaw up off the floor....

Gorgeous! I have no other words for this. Your rendering of this map into the Fenlon style is incredible. Truly a work of art!

I have only one nit to pick, and it's minor. The tiling of the fill of Witchlight Fens is too regular. I don't know if changing the scaling would improve it. I've not worked with this style much, so it may just be a by-product of the png itself. Might be worth fiddling with though, if you haven't already.

(Love I.C.E.'s Rolemaster. My's husband has been using the original system for his primary campaign since 1986. We don't use MERP, but have used many of it's supplements for ideas. Cool to come across someone else familiar with the older rules.)
    • CommentAuthorAgatheron

Shessar: Your comments regarding the swamp tiling is certainly valid. Of all the elements in the symbol set that came with that, it seemed to be the least consistent with Fenlon's style. That having been said, looking on some of my old MERP maps, the swamps used symbols, but because they were done by hand they were a bit more random looking. That, and he tended to use them a bit sparingly. I need to double-check some of my other books that include the Dead Marshes to see what he did for that.

Maybe when I learn to customize CC3 a bit more that I might be able to swap out the symbols provided for one slightly more in keeping with Fenlon's Style. Until then, I'll keep working with what I have for the moment :)

Thanks for the comments so far everyone... that having been said, please be nitpicky... it's not that hard to improve the map :)
    • CommentAuthorSclant
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Do you have the actual CC3 file for this available anywhere? (I understand if you don't)
    • CommentAuthorLeviathus
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013

Wowzers! Looking verrry good!
    • CommentAuthorKenG
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013

Wow that is very nice. Excellent job.