Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    I played DSA since 1984 and the discovery of CC3 and DD3 was great help to make fine maps for our roleplaying group. Here are the maps of our next adventure. I will test for the first time the Jon Roberts style. I like his handdrawning design. For the walls I used the castle tools from the annual issue 46, it's great for the doorways.
    If someone like I can send the .fcw files or high resolution png's.
      Das Herrenhaus, Erdgeschoß.jpg
      Das Herrenhaus, 1. Untergeschoss.jpg
      Das Herrenhaus, 2. Untergeschoss.jpg
      Kaldenberg.jpg
    • CommentAuthorBOHICA
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012

Very Nice Maps! I really like the river and lake on the last one.
    Yes...they are all really nice, by I am particularly drawn to the last one. I like how you did the forest in the south
    • CommentAuthorGreebo
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012

Wow, great maps!

Are going to play a selfmade or an "official" adventure? The manor looks somewhat like the one from "Der Wolf von Winhall" to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

But the Town is not Winhall, not the official version anyway.

Great maps, thanks for posting them!
    The "Herrenhaus" redone maps are from the official adventure "Marmortränen" and the townmap is a redone harnmaster map.
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61

Especialy like the 3rd map, well done.

And you convinced me to buy the 2010 annual, just for the castle walls.
    Here are some other maps. The 1. was my first town map made with CD3. This is the redone map of the DSA town "Shamaham" from the original adventure "Die Göttin der Amazonen"
      Shamaham.jpg
    The 2. I made for a few weeks to test the Jonathan Roberts style. This is a redone map from the DSA town Gratenfels.
      Gratenfels 1.jpg
    The 3. was made with the basic style from DD3, with some symbols of the CC pro and free symbols (unfortunately in a little resolution) from the Jonathan Roberts homepage. It's a redone map of a troll cave from the original DSA adventure "Fluß des Verderbens"
      Ogerhöhle.jpg
    • CommentAuthorGathar

About all the examples of CD3 I've seen up to know left me with something like bad smell, I could not really say what it is, but somehow the cities don't look really believable to me.

The examples you give here are totally different. At last I can see work done by CD3 where I can really believe they are real cities. I'd just say awesome work!

I still don't know precisely what disturbed me in the other examples, but know I now have a reference I can study!
    awesome...2 questions: how did you do the "ruin" looking buildings in the first city map? and How did you achieve that elevated look in the 2nd city map.
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012

Am impressed by the city.
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionYes...they are all really nice, by I am particularly drawn to the last one. I like how you did the forest in the south

The forest I made with the texture: Annual Jonathan Roberts\Forest.png and the effect is a "edge fade, inner" with the settings: edge with = 5, inner opacity = 100 and outer opacity = 0
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionawesome...2 questions: how did you do the "ruin" looking buildings in the first city map? and How did you achieve that elevated look in the 2nd city map.

The ruins from the left side are from the CD3 bitmap B ruins symbols-catalog and the temple ruin on the right side I made with the free symbols of the week from dundjinni.

For the elevated look I use the Jonathan Roberts city template and there are two sheets called Contour shadows 1 + 2 with the fill styles solid 20 + 40.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012

Lovely maps. I still hate how such a wonderful style as Jonathan Roberts one shows such horrible tiles on their terrain textures. The day i will do one (soon, hopefully) i will try to make something to avoid it.
    • CommentAuthorIthril
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2012

Fantastic maps, tiling not-withstanding. I like them anyway, especially the variation on the widths of the rivers, and roads. I especially like how they wax & wane along their path. How did you accomplish this effect?
    Posted By: IthrilFantastic maps, tiling not-withstanding. I like them anyway, especially the variation on the widths of the rivers, and roads. I especially like how they wax & wane along their path. How did you accomplish this effect?

City map 1: For the roads I use, as recommended in the city annual of Jonathan Robert, an underground sheet called "Background City" with the fill style "Dirt 3" and the effect edge fade inner. Over this sheet I lay a roads sheet with the fill style "Dirt 1" (for country roads) and for better roads I use the fill style "flagstones". For both I use the effects glow and edge fade inner.

Posted By: MedioLovely maps. I still hate how such a wonderful style as Jonathan Roberts one shows such horrible tiles on their terrain textures. The day i will do one (soon, hopefully) i will try to make something to avoid it.

Yes, the tiling is a little problem. I use the maps mostly as battle maps, and then I zoom in the maps, the tiling is okay. But in a great scale the tiling is horrible.
    Here are some new maps from our last adventure. The first is map from an island with a fairy station and a castle ruin, the second part are maps from an abondened mine and an outpost at the top of the mine.
      Wegstation und Ruine Koschwacht.jpg
    Abandened mine part one.
      Algortons Mine - Zugangsebene 3.jpg
    Abandened mine part two.
      Algortons Mine - Zugangsebene 2.jpg
    Abandened mine part three.
      Algortons Mine - Zugangsebene 1.jpg
    Abandened mine part four.
      Algortons Mine - Arbeitsebene.jpg
    Abandened mine part five.
      Algortons Mine - Versorgungsebene 1.jpg
    Mage outpost part one.
      Algortons Bergfeste - Kellerebene.jpg
    Mage outpost part two.
      Algortons Bergfeste - Hauptgebäude.jpg
    Mage outpost part three.
      Algortons Bergfeste - Hauptgebäude - Dachgeschoß.jpg
    Mage outpost part four.
      Algortons Bergfeste - Hauptgebäude - Turm 1.jpg
    Mage outpost part five.
      Algortons Bergfeste - Hauptgebäude - Turm 3.jpg
    Wizard tower part one
      Der Schwarze Turm, Erdgeschoss.jpg
    Wizard tower part two
      Der Schwarze Turm, Erster Stock.jpg
    Wizard tower part three
      Der Schwarze Turm, Zweiter Stock.jpg
    Wizard tower part four
      Der Schwarze Turm, Dritter Stock.jpg
    Wizard tower part five
      Der Schwarze Turm, Dachgeschoss.jpg
    • CommentAuthorKenG
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014

Nice maps
    • CommentAuthorRaiko
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014

Loads of really nice maps Steve.
    Since I didn't post anything back in 2012 when you posted your earlier maps, I especially love your map of Gratenfels.

Incidently if you want to get rid of the weird triangular artificts that often appear on bevelled entities then here's what I do:
    1) Create a new sheet directly beneath the bevelled sheet (ie 1 position above on the sheets list), I usually just name these MASK1, MASK2, etc
    2) Copy all the entities from the sheet with the bevel effect to the new underlying MASK sheet.
    3) Change all entities on the MASK sheet to "Fill Style:Solid"; I also set the colour to 0 (black), but I don't think it's necessary.
    4) Click redraw!
    The bevels will now be fixed with no weird triangles, this method has never failed me so far.
    The artifacts seem to appear whenever you place something that isn't solid beneath something with a bevel.
    Here are my newest map from our actual adventure "Die namenlose Dämmerung". This is a cd3 map of the little barony Falkenwind and it's made in the Jonathan Roberts Style.
      Dorf und Burg Falkenwind.jpg
    For our actual adventure "Der Basiliskenkönig" I built a map of "Die Grüne Ebene" a savannah landmark in the north of Aventurien, here lives goblins and steppe elves. With the first map I test the Herwin Wielink overlandstyle. I love it. The second map, it's made with the new symbold set from Mike Schley, is a temple hidden in the "Gelbe Sichel" mountains.
      Grüne Ebene.jpg
      Das verborgene Kloster.jpg
      Das verborgene KLoster 1. Stock.JPG
      Das verborgene Kloster 2. Stock.JPG
    Fantastic maps you've got there, Steve. I especially like the last one. The Green Plains has a very dark-eyesy feel to it.

The floorplans are also great. As chance has it, I'm also running "Across Griffin Pass" in the near future. Is there a chance you could upload fcw versions of the maps for private use? I would be much obliged if you could.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014

Very good and it brings back great memories. I ran Across Griffin Pass several years ago, as the start of an on-and-off campaign with a few friends (eventually merging into the Phileasson campaign), and it was a great adventure.
    • CommentAuthorKenG
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014

I really like the way your stairs look in your wizard tower part three picture above.

Can you detail out how you made them?

Thanks,
    Posted By: BlindMapmakerFantastic maps you've got there, Steve. I especially like the last one. The Green Plains has a very dark-eyesy feel to it.

The floorplans are also great. As chance has it, I'm also running "Across Griffin Pass" in the near future. Is there a chance you could upload fcw versions of the maps for private use? I would be much obliged if you could.

At first, it's no problem to give you the fcw files. But I use very much png art from dundjinni, fantasy art kit and other sources. Then I give you the fcw version, all of these png's are shown as "?". But if you use maptools (very recommend), I can give you the campaign file. Then you can use all the maps and the great Kampftool (manage the dsa combat with tokens).
    That's very kind of you. FCWs with missing images are fine for me if you care to post them. I can use other symbols easily enough. It's a offline campaign, so I don't use MapTool for this one. It's a great tool, but we're playing with GURPS rules anyway. If it's easier to share just the campaign file, that works for me too. Thanks again for your maps and your kind offer.
    Here is an another example of the new Mike Schley style: A hidden tomb. The tip with the sunken walls in the manual of the Symbol Set 4 is a nice idea.
      Unterirdische Begräbnisstätte.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014

Very nice! I'd make the wall mask a little wider in places to hide the shadow from symbols peeking out from under it. Or you can just move the WALL MASK sheet down in the list until it is below the symbols in the drawing order.
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014

I love how you did the cliff effects in the Mike Schley maps. They look awesome!

~Dogtag
    This map I built with CD 3 and the Jonathan Roberts City Annual and some symbols of his dungeon set. Silz is a little barony in the great Reichsforst. I attached two cutouts from the map, to get a look about the details.
      Silz.JPG
    Detail view 1
      Silz Ausschnitt.JPG
    Detail view 2
      Silz Ausschnitt 2.JPG
    Posted By: WeathermanSwedenHello Steve,

I am fascinated about the cd3 map of the little barony Falkenwind that you did in the Jon Roberts Style. Is it possible to get a piece of the map as a fcw so that I can see how you did the wonderful fields and green hedges in between. I think this is not originally included in the style or is it?

Thank you,
    André

Hello Andrè,

no problem, to give you the fcw-file. To do this I need your mail adress. For the fields and the hedges I use the terrain bitmaps from Herwins overland style.

Best,
    Thierry