Question about Terrain Fill Scale

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to the software (purhused it last night). I've been reading the help documentation and playing with all of the tools. I've been trying to draw a world map. I want to add a forest using the terrain tool, but the scale is waaaay off. I have Ginormous mutant trees growing off my continent :\ I can't seem to find anything in the advanced tab that will scale the trees down? I've tried changing the fill scale but that didn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

edit - i set the map size to 10000x9000

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The trees are drawn in the default symbol scale for the map.
    Go to File -> Drawing Properties, and change the "Default Symbol Scale" to something that makes the trees appear in a size more suited to your map. A rule of thumb is that the symbol scale should be equal to the map width divided by 1000, which yields 10 in your case, but if you try to make a lot of details on the map, this might be to large.
  • edited August 2008
    I bumped it up to 10 just to test my theory and sure enough mutant trees. Baobabs the Little Prince would have run from screaming.
  • edited August 2008
    Can I ask another question?

I just finished my first low detail part of the map... its 480 megs! and thats.... 1/8th of the world map. Is it possible to draw the terrain map. Then copy a chuck from that. Then paste that into a new map... then increase the scale so I can add detail?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    480 megs? Are you sure that isn't 480KB? I've never ever heard of anyone managing to make a CC3 map of that size before. To get such a size, you would need an enormous amount of detail.

But anyway, to your question. Yes. That is the recommended way. A world map shouldn't have more details than you would normally find on a real world map.

There are several ways to make a make a detail map out of a section of a larger map. This thread discusses various ways.