Customizing symbols

I like the texture / bitmap image used for the default landmass, but I'd like to adjust its color to my own color scheme. Can I take the image into photoshop, color it the way I'd like (or make other adjustments if desired), and then bring it back into CC3 under another name so I could have it available?

I'd assumed there'd be a PNG file for each texture/bitmap, but most of what I'm finding seems to be proprietary (ProFantasy) stuff that Photoshop won't recognize to bring in (PFimg files).

Do I need to use the symbol manager for this and do it from within CC3? And if so how do I bring in the default land mass bitmap to edit?

Thanks for any guidance,
mosk

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    PFImg files are only used for encrypted artwork (Intended for users who doesn't own a particular product/addon, but still wish to see maps made with this artwork). As long as you have the full version of the addon, you should have the unencrypted artwork as well, which is available as normal .bmp/.png files.

The image files for the fill for the default landmass is CC3\Bitmaps\Tiles\Overland\land dark green_*.PNG

After editing them in an image editor, unless you overwrite the originals, you'll need to create a new fill style in cc3 that uses the modified image, and then a new drawing tool that uses this fillstyle.
  • MoskMosk Newcomer
    Monsen,

Thanks again for the help. I assumed the 'tiles' had to do with some games that use tiles and hadn't even looked in the folder.

I noticed that each image type (water dark, for instance) had hi and low resolution variants as well as different sizes (10x10, 50x50, 200x200, and 500 x 500 pixels).

Does CC3 automatically load/use a particular variant based on the size of map area or printing resolution, or are all these variants included so you can go into the advanced tab and select a different size or resolution manually?

As a corollary question, if I'm going to make some color variants of these bitmaps (should I make one for each size and resolution?

Finally, can I make a varicolor version of the bmp file for land or water so I can adjust my color scheme on the fly?

Hope it's okay to group related questions like this under one post.
    Thanks for your assistance.

Mosk the Scribe
    edited August 2008
    Posted By: MoskI noticed that each image type (water dark, for instance) had hi and low resolution variants as well as different sizes (10x10, 50x50, 200x200, and 500 x 500 pixels).

Does CC3 automatically load/use a particular variant based on the size of map area or printing resolution, or are all these variants included so you can go into the advanced tab and select a different size or resolution manually?
    It automatically loads the best resolution for the current display size, so that you don't loose details when you zoom in, but doesn't have to load huge images when zooming out. You can also tell it to only use a spesific resolution through the Speed and Load options.
    As a corollary question, if I'm going to make some color variants of these bitmaps (should I make one for each size and resolution?
    Ideally, yes, but it isn't required.
    Finally, can I make a varicolor version of the bmp file for land or water so I can adjust my color scheme on the fly?
    No. You can't make varicolor fill styles. This is only possible for symbols. (As far as I know anyway. Should I be wrong, I am sure Simon, Ralf, or someone else will correct me soon enough)
  • MoskMosk Newcomer
    Monsen,

Thanks for taking the time to answer these posts. Your concrete answers have helped me avoid hours of unproductive fiddling and gotten me excited about diving back into Campaign Cartographer again. I'll post back on a new thread when I hit my next road block.

Mosk
    You're welcome. Have fun.
  • edited August 2008
    Posted By: MonsenNo. You can't make varicolor fill styles. This is only possible for symbols. (As far as I know anyway. Should I be wrong, I am sure Simon, Ralf, or someone else will correct me soon enough)
    That's true (unfortunately). Varicolor bitmap styles are not possible at this point. We might be able to add them in the future.