CC3 and Linux

Has anyone succeeded in getting CC3 to install on a Linux machine with WINE? I have access to a windows machine if need be, but I would prefer to get CC3 up and running on my laptop using Linux and WINE. I can get through the validation process but when it starts to install I get an error and the installation fails. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    CC3 works quite well under wine, although a bit slower than under windows. There is also a problem with the font sizes.

I've created some instructions in the AppDB entry for CC3, which should work. I haven't had the time to do throughout testing for every new version of Wine though, but I try to keep the instructions updated:
    CC3 AppDB entry
  • Actually I followed your instructions but I still have been unable to get things going. I am downloading the .NET 2.0 framework now to see if that does the trick. Currently I am using Wine v1.1.2. It may be that I don't have the VB runtime correctly configured, I didn't find instructions on how to do that yet.
    edited July 2008
    I'll update my Wine install and try a new CC3 install to see if I can find any changes.
    I don't have time to compile the newest Wine manually, so it'll be whatever version appears in the Fedora 9 repository though....

As for the VB runtimes, no config is necessary. As for .net 2.0, that won't do anything for you. CC3 can't use it....
  • Ok, well I am using Ubuntu 8.04 as well if that helps you any. I do appreciate the help.
  • If it helps any this is what I get when I run CC3setup from the command line.

err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on ATI IXP Modem, disabling mixer
    fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!
    fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
    fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGED: stub
    err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination
    err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination
    fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"jim" (nil) 0x7dfa0070 (nil) 0x7dfa0074 0x7dfa0068 - stub
    fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"jim" 0x19811d8 0x7dfa0070 0x19a0200 0x7dfa0074 0x7dfa0068 - stub
    fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction unhandled standard action L"SetODBCFolders"
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MigrateFeatureStates -> 2 ignored L"Upgrade" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveShortcuts -> 3 ignored L"Shortcut" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveFolders -> 6738 ignored L"CreateFolder" table values
    err:msi:ACTION_InstallFiles Failed to copy L"C:\\windows\\temp\\mia1\\Artwork\\89BD87AE\\D2E3CAC9\\basic.FSC" to L"C:\\Program Files\\ProFantasy\\CC3\\Symbols\\Dungeons\\CC3\\basic.FSC" (3)
    err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"InstallFinalize" returned 1603
  • I tried installing via WINE the other day and didn't get very far. The installation appeared to complete successfully, but in fact no files were installed. The folder structure was created, but not the files that actually belonged inside. I didn't poke much at it, figuring that it would be far less hassle just to use VMware. But if CC3 can actually run in WINE, that would be pretty cool. Perhaps I'll spend some more time trying to get it to work right.

I would love to see future releases be more WINE-friendly. I can pretty well accept that making CC truly cross-platform would be a losing proposition for PF. But if their coder(s) were to take a pre-release to the WINE community, they could probably get it working well enough that it would be a selling point. I know a lot RPG'ers that are also Linux people and, contrary to popular belief, many of them are quite willing to pay for software if it's actually well-designed.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    In the very long run, we will have a multiplatform version.
  • I went ahead and installed a virtualbox instance of windows media edition so I could get CC3 and Cosmographer up and running (just purchased both yesterday). Of course that means dedicating 10Gb of my hard drive to windows now. I would love to get this running under WINE and free up that space again.
  • 2 months later
  • Posted By: Simon RogersIn the very long run, we will have a multiplatform version.
    This is very good news. I just dual booted my PC with Ubuntu/Vista. Vista for games, Ubuntu for getting everything done. CC3 in Ubuntu would be terrific!
  • 10 days later
  • Posted By: DuroonI went ahead and installed a virtualbox instance of windows media edition so I could get CC3 and Cosmographer up and running (just purchased both yesterday). Of course that means dedicating 10Gb of my hard drive to windows now. I would love to get this running under WINE and free up that space again.
    In an earlier post you said that you were running Ubuntu 8.04, did you ever update the 8.10 version?
    The reason I ask is that 8.4 had bugs in the Grub and X-server, this is the reason I have not installed the 8.4 on Linux machine. Too many video driver issues.
  • 4 months later
  • edited March 2009
    I've had some troubles too, but this is how I resolved it.

1. set wine to use windows 98 compatibility mode. In a terminal run: winecfg
    2. disable the native wine msi installer by renaming .wine/drive_c/windows/system*/msi.dll to .wine/drive_c/windows/system*/msi.dll.wine and .wine/drive_c/windows/system*/msiexec.exe to .wine/drive_c/windows/system*/msiexec.exe.wine (source: http://wiki.winehq.com/NativeMsi)
    3. Install msi 2.0 by using winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks). In a terminal run: winetricks msi2
    4. Install CC3

Hope this helps...
    Thanks for posting your steps.
    I added them to the CC3 entry on the Wine AppDB. Hope you don't mind.
  • 7 years later
  • So... from what I can see (both here and on the WINE appDB) linux/BSD is pretty well dead? No recent version of WINE even installs according to the appdb. Or am I misreading things?

TIA
    I would say you are misreading things, because most test results in the appdb says it installed fine, but nobody have submitted test results in a long time, so there is no info there if things have changed (for better or worse) in more recent versions. I do know that there are a small group of people running CC3(+) on Mac/Linux, but I am not one of them, so I don't have any technical details.
  • 5 months later
  • I am a long time occasional user of FT3 & CC on Linux, currently using Linux Mint 18.1. Previously I had no problems running these under WINE, using "PlayonLinux" as a friendly means of avoiding all the tedious manual configuration of WINE. I hit problems when I tried to upgrade to CC3+, from memory it was associated with VB run time components, including VBRUN. I spent a good deal of time trawling the internet and trying various solutions in various combinations and did eventually manage to set up a working version of CC3+, unfortunately I don't recall exactly which of the many tweaks were needed and the exact order they needed to be applied. I recently wanted to carry out further work with FT3/CC3+ but discovered the latest updates to FT3 (V3.0.20) and CC3+ (Update 10) reintroduced the same problems. I had to remove FT3 and CC3+ totally and reinstall FT3 without update 20 and CC3 rather than CC3+. So although it is possible to run these programs under LINUX I really can't be bothered to spend the time and effort trying to set up the new versions again. Indeed, I am not sure this can be achieved with the latest updates. Any setup runs the risk that future updates will reintroduce the problem again. I will probably retain FT3 to generate initial worlds but not upgrade it. I will probably abandon CC3 altogether and start using a generic drawing package instead. Certainly spending any more money on add-ons seems unattractive as they will all depend on newer versions of FT3/CC3+
  • 17 days later
  • Happily I have proved myself wrong. I decided on just one more “last attempt” to achieve a functioning CC3+ and FT3 installation on Linux. I seem to have succeeded, at least on my Mint 18.1 Cinnamon system. I assume the same approach may work for other recent flavours of Mint and probably also for recent releases of Ubuntu and distributions based on Ubuntu. My approach successfully installed CC3+ with its latest patch, FT3 with its latest patch, SS1 and annuals Vol 3 (2009) and Vol 7(2013).

I haven’t encountered any major CC3+ or FT3 problems so far. The WINE website suggests possible issues displaying some fonts in CC3 maps created on Windows systems (which is not relevant for me) and some possible printing issues which I have yet to encounter.

The main issue I have now is finding other reasons not to buy more annuals and add ons.

If anyone interested I can post a summary of my solution..

Apologies if my previous post misled anyone.

Andrew
    edited May 2017
    Great to hear that you got it working.

It would be great if you could add your steps as a how-to over at the Wine site. A test report would also be nice if appropriate. (Maybe even submit a screenshot of your install too, I noticed CC3+ didn't have one.)
  • *raises a hand* Anyone is here. Please share your informations :)
  • Hi Goemoe,

Maybe the attached will help, or at least save you some of the time I spent fiddling about.

After more testing I intend to post to the WINE site, as Monsen requested but this an early rough draft, might be a while before I have finished.

And to repeat again - make sure you save any files you might want to keep before you start !

Good luck.

Andrew.
  • 22 days later
  • edited June 2017
    Thank you for the pdf. Sorry for my late response.

I have not tried it yet, but I will soon.