Am I understanding Symbols correctly?

I purchased CC3 a week ago, have been puttering with it since then just to get a feel for things, and now am trying to understand the workings of the program more precisely, especially how to set up default styles, templates, etc. in order to make mapping faster and more consistent. I have a couple of "how to" questions about symbols, but I'd first like to confirm that I'm understanding CC3's internal logic correctly. AFAICT, symbols work as follows, building from the lowest layer up...

1. PNG's - At the bottom are the individual PNG files for each symbol. Not much to say about that. I notice, however, that the CC2 symbols have no PNG's. Where are those definitions stored?
  2. FSC's - Next up are the FastCad Symbol Catalogs. Besides being a primitive logical grouping of the PNG's, these also define symbol attributes such as insertion points. These files live in subdirectories of the Symbols folder, with further subdirectories containing the actual, raw PNG's.
  3. Catalog Settings (CS's) - I'm not sure this is really the proper name for this layer, and CC appears to inconsistent in its labelling. But it's basically another layer of cataloging objects. These are the "tags" like "CC3 Structures" that are actually visible in the UI. Each one should be tied to a single FSC, but CC does not enforce this - you can have an empty CS that shows up in the Symbol UI but doesn't actually contain any symbols. You could also have two different CS's that point to the same FSC. These objects also define higher-level properties such as the default insertion layer, color, etc. This is what you're modifying in the lower right when you left-click the symbol button and choose the advanced view. I'm curious about where these objects are stored on disk, as they don't appear to be anywhere in the filesystem. Are these settings dumped to the registry or am I missing some file somewhere?
  4. Symbol Styles - The highest level logical grouping like "CC3 Symbol Style" or "Line Symbol Style", which you choose from the top of the context menu you reach by right-clicking the symbol button. Technically speaking, these aren't really internal structures of the program at all - they're merely subsets of the Catalog Settings as defined by the Master Filter Settings. (Well, sort of... you can have more than 4 Master Symbol settings, but the UI doesn't actually change to accomodate that AFAICT). So when you click the Symbol Button and choose "Mountains", you're really choosing "CC3 Mountains" - it's just that the "CC3 Symbol Style" is automatically looking for Catalog Settings with "CC3" in front and not showing that prefix in the UI.

As far as I've been able to determine, that's basically how it works. Like I said, I have some other clarifying questions, but I'd appreciate it if the tech experts here can correct or expand on what I outlined above. The documentation for the Symbol system itself (as opposed to how to use it) seems extremely weak compared to the generally helpful docs on other topics.

Comments

• Layers help you to organise symbols but the drawing order is dependend on the sheets your symbols are put on. The sheet drawn first is the one on top of the list. That means sheets further down the list get drawn later and their symbols and other entities appear on top of those from sheets further up the list.
  • edited July 2008
    Sorry, Greebo, I wasn't done typing before because I expected to get a preview before the post. I'm not asking about Layers in the technical sense of CC. I'm trying to figure out the "layers" of internal logic used in organizing symbols and presenting them in the UI. I understand how to use Layers and Sheets in my drawings just fine. "Levels" probably would have been a better choice of words than "Layers" in order to avoid confusion.
  • Oh, sorry. Since you stated you were a beginner, I assumed you had problems grasping the thing with layers and sheets as many others had as well.

1) The old style non-png symbols are pure vector constructions. Their definitions are stored in the symbol catalogs (*.fsc). If you insert them into a map, this defintion part is copied to the Symbol Definition Sheet/Layer.

2) The difference between png and vector symbols is that the latter are stored completly in the symbol catalog while the png symbols additionally need the png file as a kind of bitmap fill.

Regarding points 3) and 4) I am not sure how to explain these things sufficiently (being neither a real expert nor a native speaker), but someone else will surely help out soon.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    1. CC2 didn't support png's. Campaign Cartographer is a vector-based drawing program, and original CC symbols were just vector entities. These are stored inside the fsc files, and gets copied to the drawing when you use them. Therefore, when using vector symbols, they are always embedded in the map, so there are no individual symbols to distribute.

Basically, how I look at it is that you have a Symbol Catalogs (.fsc files). These contain zero or more symbol definitions. As part of that definition, if it is a raster symbol, it has a pointer to the actual .png fil on disk. If it is a traditional vector symbol, the symbol is entirely contained in the fsc file.
    Then, in CC3, you can define Symbol Catalog Settings. Each of these settings points to exactly one symbol catalog file, and determines properties for this catalog, such as which Layer to use (Sheet on the other hand is stored in the fsc file instead, for each individual symbol)
    Then, you have the Master Filter and Catalog filter. The master filter determines which symbol style (filled, handdrawn, etc) you wish to use. The catalog filter determines what group of symbols you wish to use (buildings, vegetation, mountains). These filters basically just matches part of the name you give to each Symbol Catalog Setting.
    If you click on a button in the UI, and no symbols shows up, it is because there are no defined Symbol Catalog Setting that matches the current master and catalog filters.
  • edited July 2008
    Posted By: Greebo
    1) The old style non-png symbols are pure vector constructions. Their definitions are stored in the symbol catalogs (*.fsc). If you insert them into a map, this defintion part is copied to the Symbol Definition Sheet/Layer.

(And similar explanation by Monsen)

OK, cool. That's pretty much what I figured - vectors are cheap, so they're stored right in the FSC. This brings up one of my "how to" questions. Let's say I want to manipulate existing Catalog Settings in order to create a new one. For example, I notice that there is a "CC2 Filled All" Catalog Setting, but no FSC for it to point to. (I can't help but note that this seems extremely sloppy to have in a shipped product, should a dev be reading. That kind of omission makes the whole symbol system much harder to understand. Anyway...) So say I want to make a new FSC containing all the CC2 Filled symbols, just so that I have somewhere to point "CC2 Filled All" towards. I would expect that I'd do this kind of thing in Symbol Manager by starting up a fresh drawing with no references, importing the individual FSC's, and then saving the bunch as a new catalog. However, that's apparently not correct because clicking Import let's me choose FSC's, but I don't actually see them show up in the display. Is the only way to build/edit catalog to literally pull each and every symbol onto the map in order to get a reference? That seems very awkward.

• CC2 Filled All opens all CC2 Filled catalogs as if they were already combined into one.
  • Posted By: MonsenThen, in CC3, you can define Symbol Catalog Settings. Each of these settings points to exactly one symbol catalog file, and determines properties for this catalog...
    OK, I did get the terminology correct then. Which is kind of unfortunate, because it's really misleading terminology to use in a technical program. The term "Symbol Catalog Setting" implies that you're "setting" characteristics on the underlying FSC. But that entirely untrue - you can have multiple SCS's that point to the same FSC (maybe for the sake of having it show up in multiple styles). And you can have a "Symbol Catalog Setting" that doesn't actually point to a symbol catalog! The "Symbol Catalog Setting" really is its own independent object, though it's purpose is to provide (one possible) description for another object (the FSC). No wonder I had a hard time figuring this out - the language doesn't describe the structure. In fact, it's contradictory to the structure.

Posted By: MonsenThen, you have the Master Filter and Catalog filter. The master filter determines which symbol style (filled, handdrawn, etc) you wish to use.
    Right. Which brings me to my next "how to" question. How would I define my own symbol style? Supposing that I build a bunch of FSC's (though I'm still a bit confused on that point, as mentioned above) and then create a bunch of SCS's titled "Foo Vegetation", "Foo Structures", etc. I can add an extra Master Filter setting for "Foo", but this doesn't actually affect the UI - if I right-click the symbol button, I still get the same four choices I always did. Where does the context menu get its list from? (And why doesn't it dynamically read the Master Filter Settings, since that's where you're actually defining the styles?!? Extremely non-intuitive and frustrating...)

That leads to one other related question. Where are the "CC2 Monochrome *" SCS's supposed to point? Mine are entirely empty because they all point to #/Symbols/Maps/Monochrome/foo, which doesn't exist. The only folders I have under Maps are CC3, Filled, Line (which are clearly the other three styles) and "Other", which appears to be a hodgepodge of stuff that should probably be catalogued elsewhere. I'm guessing that the Mono symbols should just point to the varicolor versions of the Line symbols?

Posted By: MonsenIf you click on a button in the UI, and no symbols shows up, it is because there are no defined Symbol Catalog Setting that matches the current master and catalog filters.
    Well, not exactly. If there's no SCS for that UI button at all, then you get the Select Catalog dialog. If the SCS is defined but doesn't actually point to an FSC (like it should!) then you simply get an empty symbol bar. Either way, this is another example of how dreadfully confusing this aspect of the AI is - ideally, the button should just grey out if it doesn't have a valid target. It certainly shouldn't pop up another dialog asking you to feed it more information. That implies that the symbols are there somewhere. If, for example, I'm in the CC2 Filled style and select Economy from the context menu, I shouldn't get a dialog, because there simply are no Filled Economy symbols to be found anywhere. I spent a lot of time screwing with this before I realized that I wasn't actually doing anything wrong.

Anyway, sorry for coming off grumpy. I'm actually very impressed with the program in nearly all other respects. It's very slick, and I can see that it will let you churn out maps very quickly once you have some default styles and templates that you're happy with. But the UI for the symbol system is just awful. I gathered from reading other posts and seeing other people's maps that the majority of people were using entirely premade symbol sets, and I now completely understand why.

To import multiple symbol catalogs into the drawing (to make a symbol catalog containing the symbols from multiple catalog), just start a blank symbol catalog, and use the Insert -> File to insert an existing symbol catalog (fcs file) into the current drawing. This will import all the symbols from that catalog (They won't appear in the drawing, but the definitions will be imported, so if you go to the symbol manager afterwards, or switch the symbol catalog window to show symbols already in the map, instead of a symbol catalog, you will see them.
  • Posted By: GreeboCC2 Filled All opens all CC2 Filled catalogs as if they were already combined into one.
    Really? Does yours actually do that? Mine doesn't. The SCS points to a non-existent FSC at "#\Symbols\Maps\Line\All line symbols.FSC".
    Posted By: tppytelRight. Which brings me to my next "how to" question. How would I define my own symbol style? Supposing that I build a bunch of FSC's (though I'm still a bit confused on that point, as mentioned above) and then create a bunch of SCS's titled "Foo Vegetation", "Foo Structures", etc. I can add an extra Master Filter setting for "Foo", but this doesn't actually affect the UI - if I right-click the symbol button, I still get the same four choices I always did. Where does the context menu get its list from? (And why doesn't it dynamically read the Master Filter Settings, since that's where you're actually defining the styles?!? Extremely non-intuitive and frustrating...)
    The buttons in the UI are defined through menu files (*.mnu). You find these in the program directory. For overland mapping, this would be the fcw32.mnu file, with each addon having it's own .mnu file. Editing these menu files, you can completely customize the UI to your needs.
    Posted By: tppytel

That leads to one other related question. Where are the "CC2 Monochrome *" SCS's supposed to point? Mine are entirely empty because they all point to #/Symbols/Maps/Monochrome/foo, which doesn't exist. The only folders I have under Maps are CC3, Filled, Line (which are clearly the other three styles) and "Other", which appears to be a hodgepodge of stuff that should probably be catalogued elsewhere. I'm guessing that the Mono symbols should just point to the varicolor versions of the Line symbols?

Seems like the Monochrome symbol catalog was left out of CC3, but the definitions remain. In CC2, you have a seperate Monochrome symbol set, a bit simpler than the line symbols.
    Posted By: tppytelWell, not exactly. If there's no SCS for that UI button at all, then you get the Select Catalog dialog. If the SCS is defined but doesn't actually point to an FSC (like it should!) then you simply get an empty symbol bar. Either way, this is another example of how dreadfully confusing this aspect of the AI is - ideally, the button should just grey out if it doesn't have a valid target. It certainly shouldn't pop up another dialog asking you to feed it more information. That implies that the symbols are there somewhere. If, for example, I'm in the CC2 Filled style and select Economy from the context menu, I shouldn't get a dialog, because there simply are no Filled Economy symbols to be found anywhere. I spent a lot of time screwing with this before I realized that I wasn't actually doing anything wrong.
    Yea, you are correct.
    The main reason for this behaviour of the buttons is the way they are configured (A heritage from FastCad, the program CC3 is based on). The menus are configered through static .mnu files, giving you a very powerful way to customize the interface (especially if you learn a bit about macros in CC3), but this does leave the buttons less dynamic. There is no easy way to get them to react to events and be greyed out if there is no symbol catalog available.
  • edited July 2008
    Posted By: GreeboCC2 Filled All opens all CC2 Filled catalogs as if they were already combined into one.
    Posted By: tppytelReally? Does yours actually do that? Mine doesn't. The SCS points to a non-existent FSC at "#\Symbols\Maps\Line\All line symbols.FSC".
    Checked it and, you`re right. But that is what it does with all my other drawing styles.
  • Posted By: MonsenTo import multiple symbol catalogs into the drawing (to make a symbol catalog containing the symbols from multiple catalog), just start a blank symbol catalog, and use theInsert->Fileto insert an existing symbol catalog (fcs file) into the current drawing.
    Got it. Slick. Not sure where I would have discovered that on my own. Thanks.
    edited July 2008
    Posted By: tppytelGot it. Slick. Not sure where I would have discovered that on my own. Thanks.
    It's the kind of stuff you figure out when you get to know the program.
    To be quite honest, I had never thought of doing it that way before (Mostly because I haven't had any need of combining symbol catalogs), but when you asked for a simple way, I started thinking :)
    There is actually a lot of things you can do with the insert file command, like importing fill styles.
    BTW, if you go the other route, that is opening the symbol catalog and inserting the symbols into your map, you don't actually have to place them. Just clicking on a symbol in the catalog is enough for the definition to be copied to the map file. So if you wish to just import a few symbols from a larger catalog, this is a good way.
  • Posted By: MonsenThe buttons in the UI are defined through menu files (*.mnu).
    Ah... right. I remember reading about these. I'll look into it.

Posted By: MonsenSeems like the Monochrome symbol catalog was left out of CC3, but the definitions remain.
    Oops. If I install CC2 (which I can download from my order page), can I just grab FCW's out of that? I'm particularly interested in a Mono symbol set for play aids and such.

Posted By: MonsenThe main reason for this behaviour of the buttons is the way they are configured (A heritage from FastCad, the program CC3 is based on). The menus are configered through static .mnu files, giving you a very powerful way to customize the interface (especially if you learn a bit about macros in CC3), but this does leave the buttons less dynamic. There is no easy way to get them to react to events and be greyed out if there is no symbol catalog available.
    Fair enough. I understand that ProFantasy is not going to write their very own CAD system - they just try to take FastCAD and customize it. Still, the docs could be a lot more explicit about how the symbol system works.
    edited July 2008
    Posted By: tppytelOops. If I install CC2 (which I can download from my order page), can I just grab FCW's out of that? I'm particularly interested in a Mono symbol set for play aids and such.
    Yes. I just copied them over to test, and since the definitions already are in place in CC3, all you need is to copy them over.
    Posted By: tppytelStill, the docs could be a lot more explicit about how the symbol system works.
    The full CC3 manual (Currently being written) does contain more information about symbols and symbol management. It focuses more on how to use them rather than explaining the technical details behind the system though.
  • Posted By: Monsen...all you need is to copy them over.
    Cool.

Posted By: MonsenThe full CC3 manual (Currently being written) does contain more information about symbols and symbol management. It focuses more on how to use them rather than explaining the technical details behind the system though.
    Well, I know I'm a typical UNIX nerd that wants exhaustive documentation on the internals of everything. But I think this is a place where "how to" isn't quite sufficient, if only because you have to understand the details to make sense of the various UI dialogs. Most other functions in the program you can treat as a black box without really impacting functionality. The fact that there are missing FCW's and dangling SCS's in the out-of-the-box installation doesn't help either, as it exposes the internals much more readily. I'd be happy to proofread any sections detailing this if that would help.
    Posted By: tppytelWell, I know I'm a typical UNIX nerd that wants exhaustive documentation on the internals of everything.
    Yea. I know the feeling. I am much of the same mindset myself.
    Being a UNIX nerd, I am sure you will quickly learn to appreciate one of CC3's most powerful features, it's command line. Personally, I find it easier for most tasks to just type the command instead of finding the correct button.