City House Symbols (My Version)

Thought I would share my City House Symbols that I've made based on the Default house symbols. I copied them pretty closely, except for a few I really changed as I did not like the paticular house. These are based on the first nine house in the Default catalog. Would like your opinions, as this is my first try at symbols besides the mountain symbols I created following the CA14 pdf tutorial. Go ahead and use them if you like.

Updated file - 26 Gray Slate houses and their varicolored version

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Here is a snapshot capture of Symbol catalog expanded showing the symbols I've made so far.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost
  • edited July 2008
    They look nice. And way better than any symbols I have managed to put together so far.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks for putting up the screenshot Raven. I had hesitated downloading them but those look great. Good work on the roofs.
    Could you include the fills you used in making them? I assume those were the custom fills you made yourself. I think it was you talking about that in another post.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Great work. Looking good.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks Guys, I appreciate the comments. They have been fun to make. I think Im having more fun making the symbols. I think Im going to make my version of all the default Catalog as well as the Vintyri catalogs. I have those and with all this about licenses etc, It will be better to make my own based upon all those catalogs. The new feature of using .png's is great, but the old vector method is still a great feature and takes up less memory and space on the harddrive. I also think that you can make some great symbols with the vector feature.

The fill is part of a catalog, which I think is part of Sourc Maps Cities. The actual catalog is SMC fill styles.fsc so I don't think I can actually post it. Sorry
  • I fixed my post to just a thumbnail link to the larger picture.
  • Raven, these are wonderful! Thank you!

Would you consider making a vari-colored set?
  • Nice work, though the license thing confuses me.. given Profantasy's license clearly states that you can use the product for both Commerical and Private use.. *shrugs* .. I've been wanting to redo a bunch as actual PNG files heh but I'm still waiting on CD3 before that seems it kinda would be pointless to spend x amount of time doing png files that look great only to get CD3 and it's nice new angled shading lol.
  • For Shessar, If you look at the second (the red ones they are varicolored) you can change the color just like any others though the eves stay gray and porch brown, the roof change to two toned color of what ever is selected up top just like any other symbols. The gray are just that. Enjoy them I just updated the zip with the rest of the houses and will be moving on to the others in the catalog. Mansion, etc. I plan on breaking it up a bit different.

Rob as for licence I was talking about the Vintyri set that complements the brown, default catalogs, etc. There is some issue with the new licensing on it so that why you can't find the Vintyri symbols sets any more. Mine will just be based on Profantasys catalogs that the Vintyri catalogs go with as well as the Vintyri sets. As for the New CD3 version, I will be looking forward to it with waiting computer, to grab it up. But I still like the Vector sytle symbols as a style pack. Its like the difference between the John Speed style and say Sarah Woot or Peter Fenton style packs. Also. Vector symbols are faster and take alot less memory etc. Oh, I could do the png versions too if I wanted. Im a pretty good free hand artist pen paper etc. and could scan and do the rest of the computer stuff to make some pretty good png symbols if that was what I wanted to do. And who knows I may do that later. I have lots of free time being disabled now. I have all the time I need or ever wanted now to learn all these programs I bought but never had the time to learn before. In fact, this fills my lonely boring days up so thanks for your concern as to why I would be doing this.

I hope that there are others that will enjoy these and will share with me any maps they may make with these symbols. Thanks and Enjoy!
  • 3 years later
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited February 2012
    I know this is an old theme but ... I just stumbled on this thread while looking for something else, and some things here are inaccurate. Our vector symbol sets were and still are released under the Open Game License 1.0a, which allows one to do almost anything one might want to do with them. About the only thing that's not allowed under the OGL is the use of product identity. In the vector symbol sets product identity is limited to our trademarks. I don't know why Raven_Starhawke couldn't find them anymore in 2008. They were available for download on the Vintyri website at that time, so he apparently didn't look too far. If anyone had licensing problems with us regarding these symbols, they never informed us about it.

We did remove the download site in 2010 because there hadn't been a single download for eight or nine months, but when CC2/CC3 users began asking us for them again, we restored them to the web in 2011. They can be downloaded here:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/ogl_symbolsets.zip

and here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hd5n6l5umiq37

and here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/hosted/ogl_symbolsets.zip

The symbols are released under the OGL and are available free for private and commercial use.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
    http://www.vintyri.org
    info@vintyri.org