Playing with bitmap fills and color

Hi there,

I know that there has been some insight about colors on bitmaps fill using the RGB matrix (great) sheet effect but I don't know if a procedure has been detailed.
Here is how I've done it on the map below.
On the leftmost map, I just have the map in the plain solid colors I wish.
The center map has the nice bitmap fills from the M. J. Roberts annual. However they are far from the target colors from the left map.
Now all you need to combine both is a picture editor that gives you RGB value and allows screen capture. I use Photofiltre, which is free...
1. Open the solid color map (left) and make a screen capture
2. Select the color and read the RGB values, in my case Red 182 Green 225 Blue 133 for the land color.
3. Do the same for the bitmap (center) map and chose a medium color tone. I got Red 199 Green 199 and Blue 137
4. In CC3, on the bitmap (center) map, apply the RGB matrix effect to the relevant sheet and type following numbers in the matrix :
0.910 - 0 - 0 - 0
0 - 1.131 - 0 - 0
0 - 0 - 0.971 - 0

You get the map on the right : same color as left, same texture as center !

What are those numbers ? They are the ratio of the target_color_value/bitmap_color_value, ie 182/199 = 0.910 for Red , 225/199 = 1.131 Green and 133/137 = 0.971 blue

This method will however only work on bitmaps where the colors are near, ie shades of a single hue. On more complex bitmaps, the results may not be satisfying...
The effect IS a matrix after all, and solving advanced math (or trials-errors) can probably yield fantastic alterations...

JdR

Comments