Just Starting Out, would like some tips on how to get better

As the title says, I've just recently bought CC3 about 2 days ago, and so far I've gotten 1 map Completed, without names or anything.

Was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for future maps?

Or somewhere with more in-depth tutorials for the program?

Comments

• I also found this Map below online and it was presumably made with CC3 or 2, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to get his/her objects or how he went about creating them.

I've also looked for his 'sea' and cannot find it anywhere.. and I cannot figure out how he was able to make rivers like that?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I doubt that map you posted where created using CC3. It looks more like it was hand drawn using Photoshop or similar.
  • As for tutorials, your registration page at http://www.profantasy.com/ has a downloadable pdf, the CC3 manual. Go through that will introduce you to the interface and how to do various things.
  • One thing I can put my finger on is that your rivers are a bit unatural. If you want I can post a link on how rivers work when I am back on my computer tomorrow :)
    Great first map :)
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    If you look back through the "Show & Tell" section of this forum you'll find a lot of of useful hints and tips,
    and also a lot of different maps to spark your imagination. Just looking at other people's maps and deciding
    which bits you like and which you don't can be a big help in itself.

Congratulations on your fine first map!

p
  • @Monsen - I figured I would ask, as it does look kind of similar, but it has noticeable differences to cc3 from what I've made so far. So I'm rather glad other's think so as well :P

@JimP - It's rather late, and I'm just coming off work, so I'll go through the Manual when I get a chance, all I've seen so far were the video's 'CC3 in action'. and also the quick start guide.

@elothan - Yes please! I didn't like how my rivers looked when I was placing them, so in spots I kind of hid them with the vegetation.. which is kind of limited :/

@pdj - I might take a look at the "Show & Tell" section before getting into the manual. While making the outline of the map I was having a hard time, and eventually just closed my eyes and clicked where my mind wanted it to go, and that's how I got the unusual piece of land in the top right, then I made a similar piece and added a rather large island in the middle, even though it doesn't even make sense. :P

I might find this out later, but figure it won't hurt to ask
    Is there "free" addon's to this software? such as more vegetation? - Well in general, more symbols, more types of background water, or is there a way for me to add my own?

Also I noticed that when creating a larger map, when I 'print out a picture' for other people to view.. there is no scaling, it just takes like.. a 800 by 600 image of the map, even if the size of the map is 18000 x 16000.

It kind of makes it pointless to make a larger map if there's no way to really zoom in on the map once it's outside of CC3.
    I'm probably just missing something though.

Any idea's?

Thanks for everyone's help so far though! I really didn't expect this many replies. -blush-
  • @Xikini Here is the link.
    On page 9
    of the thread I have posted a pdf that collects quite a bit of the information contained in the thread. :)

Hope it helps

As for the zooming when printing; did you go to advanced options when exporting it ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: XikiniAlso I noticed that when creating a larger map, when I 'print out a picture' for other people to view.. there is no scaling, it just takes like.. a 800 by 600 image of the map, even if the size of the map is 18000 x 16000.
    When you are printing, you can either set CC3 to fit the map to the page, in which case it will end up the same physical size no matter the original map size. If you wish to print in higher details, you must either find a printer with a larger paper size, or you can enable page tiling in the print dialog when printing.