Keeping land form from one map to another

Hopefully this hasn't been asked before... I am creating a very large outer map with no detail on the continents its showing. But I want the basic outline of the continents to remain as I enlarge them and add more detail to them on a seperate map all together. Anyone have any ideas? I've thought about just saving it out as a jpg or png and tracing it as a background in CC3 but I didn't know if there was another way.

Thanks,Rathe

Comments

• Keep the existing large map on the newer one and trim to edges.. then rejoin to make land masses where needed, add some fractualising..

least that's what I generally do.. most of the time.

sorry maybe some one can go into a bit more detail.. I've got an appointment I have to be at early this morning so I can't spend much time explaining :(
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    Go to your registration page, and find the "Map Maker's Chest" link among the stuff to the right.

In here, you will find an excellent article, "Local Map from Regional Map". It tells you all you need to know. It is written for CC2, but the differences in this procedure is minimal.
  • Posted By: Rathe1000Hopefully this hasn't been asked before... I am creating a very large outer map with no detail on the continents its showing. But I want the basic outline of the continents to remain as I enlarge them and add more detail to them on a seperate map all together. Anyone have any ideas? I've thought about just saving it out as a jpg or png and tracing it as a background in CC3 but I didn't know if there was another way.

Thanks,Rathe
    Actually, what you suggested as saving as a PNG and then tracing as a background is exactly what I do. Sure you could just do other 'fancier' things, but if you look at any sort of map of the world (use GOOGLE MAPS as an example), when you are zoomed out at the planetary/continental level, you will only see the most grossest of detail. Then, as you zoom in it becomes more and more detailed, the coastlines become more broken, and smaller details become more apparent. What looked like a BIG island is actually a collection of smaller islands (Japan), and what appeared as mostly empty ocean is filled with small archipelagos of islands (Philippines/Indonesia area).

By making a Background layer you can trace over, you are no longer constrained to "what was", but you can now go forward with a what IS. Maybe you want a lonely mountain island, jutting up. Put it there. Maybe what appears as solid coastline from the world map is actually a marshy fenland of small islands of solid ground in a n area of marsh lowlands (Everglades National Park of South Florida).

So, my suggestion is to make an image, make it a background and let your imagination run wild with the larger map's old coastline as a guide.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    I similar in that I do a 'save rectangular bmp' section of the smaller area.

Here is the tutorial I wrote, it doesn't cintain too many details but it should be fairly easy to follow.

Large map to small section
  • Heres my 2 cents. I do something between the process in the Map Makers Chest and what Neon is talking about. After doing trhe trims I go in and add more detail by adding more fractilization or even hand editing the coastline. You truly have a very powerful tool wether you use the bmp method or the Map Makers Chest method to keep the general shapes while adding detail.