Printer Questions

Hi Folks,

Just curious, do most people prefer using laser or inkjet printers for their maps/dioramas?

I'm curious because I'm looking to start seriously using these nifty tools for battlemaps, etc.

Thanks in advance,
John

Comments

• Hi John, I print a lot of battle maps so I have a few thoughts, for what they're worth.

I've been using what is now a very old inkjet that is currently on it's last set of cartridges. I've had this thing for 20 years (yes 20) and the only place that I can find the ink these days is to order directly from HP. I've decided I'm tired of doing that, thus it's last cartridge. The model number of this old dinosaur hardly matters, but what is important is that it was from HP's Professional line. Professional printers cost more, but since they are meant for office environments the ink cartridges are larger and they tend to be more reliable for home use. If I could still get ink easily (and Microsoft continued writing basic driver for it) this thing would probably go another 20 years.

However, I've decided to put it out to pasture.

My next printer will be a color laser printer because I want the ability to change out the color cartridges individually. There are inkjets that have separate color cartridges, but they are tiny and as a family we do so much mapping and printing that we'd blow through cartridges too fast.

I'm considering the HP Laserjet Pro 400 that does auto duplex printing. My husband is taking me to the office supply shop next week to drool over it ... errr, I mean test it. The reviews I've read so far have been positive so my hopes are high. It will be a couple of months before I save up enough to buy it, but I think it will be worth the wait. :)

All of this to say, if you plan to print battlemats and are in line to by a new printer, go Professional and go separate color cartridges. A few hundred extra dollars now will save a bundle over the long term.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I prefer using a laser printer. I bought a new HP CP2025DN Color laser (with network and duplex) about a year ago, and I am very happy with it. It can only do A4/Letter sizes though, so it won't do you any good if you are looking for A3 format printing. It is a very nice printer though, and is actually rather cheap (about $400-$500)

I have to mirror Shessar's advice here, always go for professional equipment. Always buy the stuff intended for the small/medium business segment, and not those intended for home use. Yes, you may more for it when you buy it (usually), but you get a device that is usually cheaper to use in the long run, and more durable.
  • Thanks folks. Time to check out specific models...

And I agree with the "professional" line of thinking. I've never gone wrong when I followed that advice.

John
  • Just a quick question here: what kind of paper do you guys use for printing, as I find regular paper ends up with a lot of"warping" from the ink, aswell as being a bit, i dunno, dull it the final results ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2012
    I always use plain 80 g/m2 paper, but then I am using laser, so it doesn't have to deal with the wetness of the ink. Given the amount of fill in a regular CC3 map, I can easily see you need slightly better paper when using ink.
  • Maybe I just should just as well be looking at a new printer... This old cannon is eating trough ink like it is, and that is not counting mapprinting...
  • I used 20 pound paper when I did ink jet maps. And tried to keep large areas of the same color to a minimum.
  • Thanks for the paper suggestions (inspired question elothan).

I was wondering about using heavier papers / cardstock

John
  • I haven't used card stock for ink jet maps. So I don't know what effect that would have. I have no way to check it as my Vista computer refuses to see my perfectly workable ink jet printer.