Fractal Terrain: New world from Bin files

I'd like to transfer my world in Fractal Terrain through a .bin file but i don't know how to create a bin file from my world. Anybody has an idea about how i could accomplish that?

Pat

Comments

• Nothing yet? Maybe i wasn't clear in my question?

Pat
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is most probably because there are few people who really know the answers to this one, I suspect

I am not the most skilled FT user in the world myself, but as far as I know, it is not possible to do this from FT. It might somehow be possible to use the raw binary export you can make through the "Save as" dialog, but if it is, I don't know how. Then again, as I said, I am no expert on FT.

You might want to contact ProFantasy tech support on this one. If this is possible, they should know.
  • Thanks for a response :) I understand and will investigate more on what i could do to achieve what i want to do in FT.

Pat
  • NeonKnightNeonKnight Traveler
    edited July 2008
    Ralf Schemmann has a tutorial on his Jhendor website which could probably be gleaned for information:

http://www.jhendor.de/cc2/tutorials.html
  • The tutorial was very helpful.

Unfortunately, Wilbur and FR have changed significantly and the instructions present ways to do things that are not in the program anymore. I think i was able to recreate what Ralph explains in the new versions but i don't get results like he does. It maybe something with the height values i enter or the extension file i choose.

Anyway, i'm still hammering at it and i'm so close to producing something i always dreamed of... a 3d version of the forgotten realms :)

Pat
  • edited July 2008
    Well, i was finally able to transfer my Toril File et FR PRO after many hours of labor ...fun :)

Here are some preliminary results in attached files.

Pat
    Very nice.
    I wouldn't mind a copy of the .ftw when you are done, if you don't mind sharing.
  • Wow nice. All I got was a rock. (sorry can't help the Charlie Brown reference) I tried following the tut. but was too stymied so I'm very impressed with your results. Mind if I ask what you did differently from the tut. so we less apt pupils can play too.
  • edited July 2008
    Hi all,

Of course i like to share and i will make the fcw available on my site as soon as can. But there seem to have a problem with the jpg here. For some reason it is not accessible?

The link to my site for it is http://www.patoumonde.com/maps/Toril_progress_6_testing_stuff_10000_5000.jpg

As for the corrections to Ralph's tut... i'll make an updated tut if Ralph's is ok with it. I think he comes here once in a while right?

ps.: i don't know how to make links here.

Pat
    edited July 2008
    I think it is the size of the image that is the problem. The forum shows uploaded images in-line, and that image is more than 5000x4000 pixels in size. For anyone without a broadband connection (Yup, those people still exists), it would be a nightmare downloading such a big image.

You should resize it to no larger than 800x600 and reupload it.

As for making links, you need to use regular html. For example:
    <a href="http://www.patoumonde.com/maps/Toril_progress_6_testing_stuff_10000_5000.jpg">World Image</a>

Also note that the "Format comment as" selector below the text box must be set to html for this to work. Also, html is rigid when it comes to syntax, so don't leave out any ", > or < symbols.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Patoumonde, please go ahead and post the tutorial with your corrections. I'd be more than happy to see it!
  • edited July 2008
    Ok thanks Ralf. I'll go to work on it :)

Pat
  • 22 days later
  • I'd like to see how you did it too. I started trying to do this and had a tutorial going but I eventually gave up due to limitations of Joe's software. I think (hope?) he's going to fix that in his next version.
    --Dale--
  • Hello all,

Just wanted to pipe in a word for those waiting on my follow up on Ralph tut. The thing is, i decided to redo all my map with more contour lines because the first version wasn't satisfying to me. So i've been pretty much drawing contour lines for the last 3 weeks :)

I'm almost done and will be posting the results soon.

Pat