Using the CSUAC Now in CC3

Heads up to Ralf Schemmann and Romy Monsen. This tells how I did it, but if either of you has better recommendations, please add them.

I'm writing this because I've gotten some new complaints from CC3 users alleging that we offer the Dundjinni and FM8 versions of the CSUAC for download but not the CC3 version. Some also perceive dark intentions on our part.

For the record, we offer only the FM8 version for download. The owner has authorized us to do that. We have not been authorized to offer the Dundjinni or CC3 versions. For Dundjinni, we only have links to Jim Hale's authorized mirror site in the U.S.A. If we were authorized to offer the CC3 version, we would be happy to put it on our download site. All of this is governed by an end user license agreement (EULA). You can read it here:

http://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/EULA.pdf

After you've read the EULA, you should understand why neither we nor ProFantasy Ltd. (or anyone else) can simply offer the CC3 CSUAC for download. That it isn't available is a nuisance, but anyone who wants the CSUAC in a CC3 version really can have it without much work. That's because the FM8 version really gives you everything that you need. To see how to do it, download the following free PDF:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/CSUACInCC3.pdf (570 KB)

You may want to go beyond this PDF. After bringing the CSUAC symbols into CC3, you may want to make smart symbols of some of them. You may want to bring them into catalogs. Etc.

If you don't know how to do that, I strongly suggest that you get Remy Monsen's brand new version of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. It's not expensive. In fact, it's a steal at the price that's being asked. You should make it your mapping bible.

There's one potential probleml. Some of the CSUAC structural symbols do not lend themselves well to use with the global sun feature of CC3. Dundjinni symbols usually are made with the shading already in the symbol. All of the CSUAC symbols originally were made for Dundjinni. As a result, if you create map files for many of the CSUAC structural symbols, you sometimes will find that they have double shading.

Comments

• Thanks for the step by step links to things... I was eyeing the CSUAC (I had them years ago, but they didn't make it through two hard drive replacements somehow...) but had written off getting them again as it sounded rather time consuming. Without looking at your links yet, it at least sounds like something I could actually do now...
  • 7 days later
  • I just found my old CSUAC collection on an old laptop I use as a media center :)
    I am currently one happy camper !