Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorFarsightX3
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited

So I was bored to tears at work today and I made this map out of pure randomness. With all of the new Herwin Wielink's maps posted on here it gave me the urge to do one my self.

This world is free to use for anyone who wants to use it. I already named everything, hope that is okay. If you do use it, let me know, I'd be interested in who does :)

Enjoy

(Btw, how do you link a thumbnail version on here? I tried to attach it but it gave me an error)

Link to large version of the map
      CA64_World.jpg
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012

Don't know how to solve your linking problem, but that's a very nice map. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012

I've attached a smaller version of the map to the post.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

Is there anything wrong with this map or is it good? Any critique available ?
    • CommentAuthorDargurd
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

Firstly let me say i really like the map. This style has really got every on mapping !

The only challenge i would make is the text doesn't quite work for me. You have two differing sheet effects going on and this does distract me a little when i'm looking at the map. (Not sure if this was intentional) The other thing with the font is personally id tone down the glow slightly as it makes the words a little blurred.

Over all though a great map !
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012

You got a question on the map's comment page on the Profantasy blog, on how you created the "mist" in the lower right of the map.

Thanks Ralf, I replied. I didn't even know there was a comments page for the map. Besides that link, how else can I find that "comments" page?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

It's a special case here, because I did the maps on that page as a gallery, where each image has a separate subpage and comment section. Normally the comments are simply below the post.

Awesome. So my map made the gallery page?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012

Yes, you can find it here: http://www.profantasy.com/rpgmaps/?p=1586
    • CommentAuthorVorkosigan
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

Hi FarsightX3, Id be interested in the 2 symbols you used to create the Mist. Would it be possible to send them to me by email? Im not sure how to provide you my email however.
    I am also interessed in these symbols. Maybe you could put in on the user library or put a download link here on the forum.
    • CommentAuthorVintyri
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012 edited

Comments requested. OK. The map isn't the style that I prefer, but that doesn't mean much. That's purely a matter of taste. Most of it looks fine, really good, in fact. However, this trend that started with the last annual to turn seas and bodies of water green really is getting boring. There are zillions of maps out there that know better than to make seas green. It would be nice if one could move on beyond this funny fad.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Some seas are deep blue, but my journeys across the North Atlantic on a Navy destroyer, those seas are green.
    Posted By: VintyriComments requested. OK. The map isn't the style that I prefer, but that doesn't mean much. That's purely a matter of taste. Most of it looks fine, really good, in fact. However, this trend that started with the last annual to turn seas and bodies of water green really is getting boring. There are zillions of maps out there that know better than to make seas green. It would be nice if one could move on beyond this funny fad.

I also hate the green seas of this style =(
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012 edited

Okay guys, here is the zip file. I hope it works. Let me know if it doesn't. Thank Gandarf on the Cartography Forums who is also a CC3 user. He's the one who gave it to me. He created it. He takes all of the credit.

Posted By: Mateus090985
    Posted By: VintyriComments requested. OK. The map isn't the style that I prefer, but that doesn't mean much. That's purely a matter of taste. Most of it looks fine, really good, in fact. However, this trend that started with the last annual to turn seas and bodies of water green really is getting boring. There are zillions of maps out there that know better than to make seas green. It would be nice if one could move on beyond this funny fad.

I also hate the green seas of this style =(

I don't care for it either. However, the green sea fits perfectly for this dark map style. I really like it for this map style only. What I really like about the sea texture is it looks like it's moving and wavy. Herwin did an excellent job at transitioning textures and symbols with his annual.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

Thank you so much :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

The green sea seems to be a dividing issue (I like it personally). :D

It can be changed very easily though, see the end of the blog entry here.
    I'm also of the blue crew, so I asked Ralf to do a different version, as he mentions above. It's just an effects filter, so no more than 30s work.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012

By the way, I found this new blue very bright and would rather have a darker blue... how to change that? I've been trying to change the parameters without much success.