How to use fill style symbols?

Okay, Im following the CA14 annual pdf and I am currently doing the house section, and I have got the my first house done as far as the following to the outline, but before I go and make a my house a symbol. I wish to add shingles to my house but the annual pdf does not tell me how to do this. It just states that fill styles are not used often do overload visually, except small villiage maps. Okay, can understand that but I would like to learn how to do this using the fill styles, expecially SMC Fill Styles.FSC (Roof Slate fill, Roof tile fill) in the Symbols/Cities director if you have SMC. Now I want to be able to do this like the house in a CC2,3 map I found in the library called "Little Ursted.FCW. The person that made it did not make the houses into symbols unfortunately, however I really liked the shingled look he/she gave the few houses in the map. The shingles all are uniform and follow the correct way of the roofs and dormors, etc. Now, I am posting the map and my symbol catalog to show what Im talking about. Would appreciate any help on how to do this so I can finish my house symbol and go on to create more in this style. Thanks

Comments

• Here is my started cities symbol catalog
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    One good way is to make a draw tool to do it.
    In your drawing ("City Symbols.FCW"), click on the "All Drawing Tools" button, then on the Advanced button. You should have a drawing tool here called "House Symbol, Shading". Now select it, then click "New" (This will make a drawing tool based on this setting).
    Give it a name, then hit the "Outline" button. Select "Extra Entity", then "Properties"
    Uncheck the "Use current properties throughout", then place a check mark in "Use hatch style", and select the desired style". Make sure you set the Layer of the outline to "STRUCTURES (FILL STYLE)".
    You now have a drawing tool that you can use that will draw both the shading and the hatch fill simultaneously when drawing, which automatically places them on the correct layers. Use this when drawing your house, then make a symbol as normal.
  • I still can't find the fill style I really wanted (Roof Slate fill ) in the dialogs. I only find it in a symbol catalog though it is called a fill style. SMC Fill Styles.FSC (Roof Slate fill, Roof tile fill symbols) in the Symbols/Cities directory if you have SMC. If you zoom in on those dark gray roofs in Little Ursted map you will see it in use. It is frustrating.

I followed your directions Monsen and have 4 tile roof tile fill tools now, but not the one I really want. Thanks alot for that information. It will come in handy
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    Here is a simple way to use symbols found in a symbol catalog for fills.

1. Open up the symbol catalog in the catalog window as usually.
    2. Click once on the symbol you'd like to make a fill style from
    3. Don't place it anywhere, just right click and "Finish"
    4. Click on the Fill style indicator (upper right, "FS: something"
    5. Symbol Fills Tab.
    6. Hit new, give it a name
    7. In the "Symbol Name", select the symbol you wish to use (You should find the one from step 2 in the list somewhere). Save (Don't bother if the preview looks strange. Due to scale settings, it often just shows a very small piece of the fill style
    8. Make sure the "This is the currently selectd fill style" radio button is checked, then hit Ok. The Fill Style indicator should now show that your new fill style is active. Use the drawing tools in the rightmost toolbars to draw polygons filled with your brand new symbol fill. Or. you can use "Change Properties" on an existing polygon to change it's fill style to the new one. Remember that if you are creating houses, that you need to place this part on the "STRUCTURES (FILL STYLE)" layer.

Note that if the symbol fill doesn't turn up as expected, you may need to tweak the scale and spacing parameters in the fill dialog. For the slate fill, scale should be 1 on both X and Y, while spacing should be 20 (The width of the symbol). If spacing is to small, CC3 will use a lot of processing power, and generate what looks like a black box (Because lots of copies of the symbol gets stacked almost on top of each other)
  • Thanks Monsen, That did it! However, I had to create one for each direction I wanted the tiles to go, so that they run directionally correct. I figured out that I had to change the XY rotation on each on by 90 degrees(*) so for anyone else out there its - 0, 90, 180, 270
  • 7 days later
  • Where do I find more of the catalogs of fill styles like the SMC Fill Style.FCS? I need a brick fill the brush patterns does not let the color come through from the poly under it like the fill styles do. I've seen other used but not sure where they are.