How To - Deletion of accidental Grid overlay on map

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to delete a drawn grid on a (dungeon) map ? E.g. if you accidental select the hex grid instead of the square grid or the numbering needs to change ?

I found no direct reference, but maybe some can help me in this issue. Otherwise I have to redraw my dungeon map...

Comments

• edited July 2008
    The grid is usually located on its own sheet called GRID. If you hide all the others (sheet identifier above your map window), you should be able to select the grid an and delete it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Note that the grid might be on a frozen layer as well, so you may need to enter the Layers dialogue, and make sure that the HEX/SQUARE GRID layer is not frozen.
  • edited July 2008
    Thank you, selecting the sheet and deleting the GRID sheet helps. I didn't wanted to use it, because I thought the sheet will be permanently lost after deletion, but if you use the menu draw -> Hex or square overlay function again, the GRID sheet will be added again to the sheet list.

Wouldn't it be practical to use the 'erase' pencil button on the GRID sheet as well ? Strange thing is, even if you intentionally don't select the Labelling function to not display numbered values on top of the map, instead the program will add numbers to the map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You shouldn't delete the sheet itself, only the entities on it. The point of entering the sheet dialogue and hiding all the other sheets is that it now becomes easy to delete the grid using the regular erase function, because the grid is now the only thing visible in your map, making it impossible to delete other entities at the same time. Afterwards, you can unhide the other sheets again. Note what I wrote above by unfreezing the Layer though, as you cannot delete it directly if it is on a frozen layer.
    If you do delete the grid sheet, you will need to manually reorder the sheets after adding a new grid, to make sure the grid is drawn where it is supposed to be in the draw order.

About the Grid labelling. When creating a square grid, turn on labelling, then uncheck the two "Labels outside" and "Labels in cells" checboxes, before finally turning of labelling again. This will enable you to make a grid without any labels.
  • You're blindingly fast in responding. I didn't check the layer sheet, maybe because I just have to get the heck of that sheet/layer correlation thing. Now erasing entities, as I prefer is an ease. Thanks alot.