It's been a while since I upgraded and looking for some advice

I first got into Campaign Cartographer with the Campaign Mapper found in the Core Rules 2 CD-ROM product from TSR/WotC back in '99. I then upgraded to CC2, adding DD2, CD2, Character Artist, CC2 Dioramas, Fractal Terrains and the Symbol Sets 1&2 thereafter. I did an upgrade to CC2-Pro after it was released, but haven't upgraded anything since then.

I'll also note that I have the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, and all of those maps were created in CC2, with DD2 and CD2 used for dungeon and city maps. The maps are stunning and I want to keep the functionality of the linked maps moving forward.

So what would be my recommended upgrade path to be fully upgraded? I understand that altering my FR maps may result in that product no longer functioning once I get to CC3, but any help in that regard would also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    There are available compatibility upgrades for almost all the addons, so you can basically upgrade what you want in the order you want. So far, only CC3, DD3 and symbol sets 1 & 2 are available in a CC3 version, most of the rest (except the source maps) are available as compatibility updates that let you use the old version with CC3.

As for altering FR maps. The maps will still work with the FR atlas as long as you don't take advantage of CC3's ability to use raster symbols in your maps. Also, if you use sheet effects, these won't be visible inside the FR Atlas viewer.
    Note that the FR atlas installer doesn't recognize CC3, and thus won't install the FR Atlas symbols, so you need to manually extract these from your CC2 install.
  • So if I upgraded to CC3 to start off with (and Fractal Terrains Pro), would the add-ons I currently ahve still work until I get around to purchasing the upgrades of them? The reason I ask is financially, it would be easier for me to upgrade one piece at a time. If not, I would understand and put CC3 on a shelf until I get the appropriate versions of the add-ons.

Also, thanks for the advice on the FRIA. It's already installed and I can easily move the symbol sets wherever I need them.
  • You can import CC2 maps into CC3, but once you start using CC3 specific things like bitmap fills and sheet effects, those things wont be visible in CC2.

As for the compaitbility upgrades to CC3, log into your registration at profantasy and look at the upper right of that page. If you have Compatibility upgrades coming, they will be there.

The CC2 versions of the add-ons wont work with CC3 directly. So don't install your CC2 add-ons into CC3. Instead, look for the compatibility upgrades, they work with CC3, on your registraiton page.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks! This is precisely what I needed from both respondents!

I think I'll begin my upgrades with Fractal Terrains Pro, then dive into CC3 and the add-ons.