Cross Realm - A demi plane

This a demi-plane type of map, so it's very unnatural and doesn't make sense :). The Cross Realm is the middle plane of existence between the physical and spiritual world. Was once a paradise home for the Celestials, until an evil entity known as Vainspire was unchained and climbed out of the depths of the abyss. Here he can influence the world with using the Pendulum of Vox Malum.

Pendulum of Vox Malum is a celestial balancing unit that weighs good and evil in all realms of existence. Only divine entities can read it and re-balance it by their own will. Mahdran is the only realm where the creation can balance or unbalance the Pendulum of Vox Malum by their will of actions of their world.

This realm is connected to my other colossal world Mahdran.

Link to large version of the map

Comments

• FarsightX3FarsightX3 Traveler
    Aw I guess no one likes this style of a map. Oh well.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You shouldn't confuse lack of comments with not liking the style.

Seen from the aspect for which you are creating this map, it does look very interesting. Visually, it also looks quite nice. It is difficult to comment on it though, because you are throwing normal map conventions out the window. Nothing wrong with that though, as you are creating the map for a very specific purpose where that is ok, but other than that it looks "nice and interesting", I am unsure what to actually say. I think you have done a good job with it though.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    I liked it a lot - especially Lavender and Nimbus. I did think it might benefit from a waterfall tho :)

p
  • It's always hard to comment on a map like this, as it's an abstract map representing an abstract plane of existance. That being said: I like how your use of symbols for Vainspire's throne; I also like how you built the Dreadfire Stockade, cool use of symbol masking. You've got a good eye for mountain symbol placement, Hectacomb, for the amount of symbols you placed there, looks fantastic (not crowded at all). Great effect with Nimbus Vallum, how did you get the clouds to look so good?

The "edge" of the Outer Rim, Ryn Palace and Whisker Orchard seem to suggest that one could fall off and tumble into the abyss, no other area has that deleneation (Genisis Lake,Lavendar Woods, etc.); it gives the impression of the edge of a page instead of land ending. And, I'd maybe change the land under Lavender Woods and Frozen Carnage from the default "dirt" to something that better repersents it.

Last thing: Why no waterfall plunging into the forsaken abyss?!?
    Monsen I suppose you're right :). Someone once told me it's easier to say something negative then something positive, because it takes work.

Pdj and Jonas, I never even thought of a waterfall falling into the Abyss. That would be an interesting idea! What place do you think it would work best? Lavender Woods? And I got the cloud symbol from a guy on another forum who also uses CC3. He gave it to me for free. I am so happy he gave it.

Thanks for the kind comments. I am always looking for new ways to use textures or symbols :)
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    I'd go for a waterfall somewhere to the west of Aumenfell, maybe with a bottomless lake to feed it :)
  • Farsight, I know I've commented on your maps before, but I'll say it again anyway: I LOVE your maps! They take me back to the days of the old DOS games. (I still play the old games via DOS Box, so this says something about my love for this style of game and map). When I look at your maps, I can envision my sprite trekking across the various terrain, getting 'sucked' into a battle screen, as I try to figure out where to go next. Love, love, love it. :D

This map intrigues me even more than your Mahdran map. Mapping an outer plane is a challenge. I know, because I've done it myself. Translating that into a video game/MMORPG map, using symbols meant for a standard map, is even more difficult. In my opinion you've done an outstanding job. Your use of the vari-colored symbols in non-traditional colors gives your maps an other worldly feel that if perfect in the MMORPG context.

Having expressed my love for this style of map, I have to say that you may not find many people out there who love it as much. I have seen the tendency in recent years for fantasy maps to become more like satellite images. The current trend is towards realism rather than fanciful imagery. I've seen maps on other sites that everyone raves about that I feel are "Meh, boring. Who wants to explore the real world?" But mapping is an art form, and reactions to art are as individual as the person viewing it. To me, High Fantasy incorporates magic to defy the laws of the universe, and a map that captures that is truly a work of art. Not everyone feels that way.

Keep doing what your doing. It works wonderfully for your purposes!
  • Like it. I have to make a demi-plane myself for a sub-Abyssal domain, and I hadn't thought of actually making a map in CC3. Now I will, after I've seen what you've done.
    Shessar thanks so much for your kind comments, it brings joy that you all enjoy this style of map. Again, thank you very much for understanding what I was trying to convey. This was a fun one because I could do whatever I wanted to do.

Kendall, thanks all you have to do is think outside of the box and go crazy. That's what I did :P I am looking forward to seeing you post your map on here :P