Google Earth Integration – Complete. Behold Pallas!

Hey!

So I put the finishing touches on my framework fantasy environment using FT3, Google Earth, and Google Docs to generate the world, display the world to a user, and serve up important information.
So, care to see it?

1) Go ahead and download Google Earth (free) from http://www.google.com/earth/index.html (Google Earth Download Link) then download the game files at http://www.avotasarts.com/earth/Yota.zip. (Pallas World)
2) Once you have Google Earth open, select Layers (bottom left) and turn off the Primary Database.
3) Goto Tools -> Options and uncheck "Show Terrain" under the heading Terrain Quality. This turns off the natural earth, and makes sure the fantasy earth Pallas, correctly renders on your screen.
4) Finally goto File -> Open select Yota.kmz then hit open. Click and drag Yota.kmz from Temporary Places to My Places. Close Google Earth. (This set resets and saves everything).
5) Open Google Earth and you should fly to the play area. If you see the brightly colored province outlines, you're all set. –Everything is clickable!- (but bodies of water)

Now for some technical notes:

• All players will start in Warun, the data displayed assumes that.
• The "Learn More" links will reference a private forum where I will post additional content such as battle maps. The website is not up at this point, so the links just send you back to Google.
• The actual gameplay will be handled on MapTool, a free virtual game table.
• Icons that are primary black are known locations, but undiscovered, icons are primary white are known locations the players have traveled too. These change instantly based on a setting in the database.
• All this content is considered to be "well known" to all characters within the game.
• Any content updates, where Google Earth checks to see if the database was changed, are triggered when the player stops moving the Earth. I choose this method over a timed interval because I like efficacy in design.
• It may take up to 30 seconds for Google Earth to check, parse, and update the world. Results are cashed for speedy return of the data.
• So that’s it, have fun. It's a good example of what could be done with a little work, and limited programming knowledge.

Best Regards,
Avotas

Comments

• Oh yes, if you find any bugs, typo's, spelling errors, logic errors, etc let me know =)

Avotas
  • I do believe that you are a pioneer my friend ;)
  • That explains the 'coon skin hat! I gauge success, and usefulness, based off responses and questions, and truthfully I have been a little nervous at the lack of posts on the other forums around the 'net. Thanks for posting.

-Avotas
  • My guess is they are too astounded at the greatness to say anything.

[applause] for your work.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is really awesome.... I love this. I am seriously considering using this for my next campaign....
  • I, for one, am in the astounded category. I can't begin to express how impressed I am with your work. I'm thinking of getting my game online, and if I do, I may take this same route. It gives me some ideas on a direction for some projects I want to work on.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It is really wonderful, I just haven't had the time to fully explore and appreciate it.

Have you heard about the "Dere Globus" project? That's a fan-project of the German "Das Schwarze Auge" rpg to bring their HUGE fantasy world into Google Earth. The project is pretty far advanced and they have a staggering amount of material available. The problem is only, there is no English version.
  • edited April 2012
    Hey Ralf,

No I wasn't aware of that project. It's pretty impressive! I was just drawing up plans for Pallas 2.0, an integration with CC3, but it looks like they are pretty much already there.

*sigh*

Now you see, I went ahead and spoiled the surprise.

*grin*

Oh well. When I am done I will have integrated concepts from FT3, CC3 + various symbol packs all displayed on Google Earth with content controlled from a single database and remote server.

-Avotas
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited April 2012
    Posted By: Avotas
    No I wasn't aware of that project. It's pretty impressive! I was just drawing up plans for Pallas 2.0, an integration with CC3, but it looks like they are pretty much already there.
    They are not using FT3/CC3 at all though - so your project is still pretty much unique!
  • 10 months later
  • Excellent instructions. I was able to open your world KMZ file, in my Google Earth. This helps me learn about how to mark-up my own FT3 map in Google Earth.

Some observations. Your world looks great in GE especially the zoom-to-starting-area, political overlay, coast outlines, and that 'fantasy map' (CC3 map) appearing when you zoom far enough in. Very cool.

Your image climate or FT3 coloring settings, looks a bit plain, like it is a desert or sandy colored world.

What resolution setting did you use in exporting KMZ from FT3?

Any tips for how to draw the outlines and political polygons, and the roads like you did, in GE? This is my first time working with these GE tools. Just getting into it now.

The database updating the map -- this part is not clear to me, how this would be achieved. It sounds good. Have you written up instructions / tutorial on how to do that? Also curious to hear more about how this is used in gaming, face to face or online?

Thanks again for the inspiring post.
  • Thanks. I'm actually thinking about setting up a KickStarter project that will allow people to buy pre-made content as well as include directions on making their own. There is a little more involved then just exporting from FT3 due to some limitations. I am still thinking about the whole thing, so I will let you know if/when it happens.

GE has an add poloygon tool, that is how I defined regions and outlines as well as rivers and roads. It's just click and draw.

Best Regards,
    Avotas
  • Oh. Also as a note. If the KickStarter projects get off the ground, I will hire some locals here to produce the maps. I will supply the boundaries of the area, and they just need to fill it in with goodness. The world is a big place, and I am thinking about selling each country/region off as a map bundle.

-Avotas