First Alien Scout

Here is my first atempt to create a deck plan that is very asymetrical. I was inspired to try lots of circles and arcs for this alien scout ship... The crew of this ship is partially hive-minded and live underground. Because of this I decided to try and design the ship with an inward spiral motif. I was thinking of subterainian chambers that end at the most important part. as for their weapons, they perfer to manually control them instead of relying on computers...

Comments

• Coolness, I especially like your choice of colors - and the design is nice and compact. I would however offer some useful observations.

#1, Are the Rejuvenation Pods and Pod Nutrient Storage units properly shielded from passive radiation from your power core? Usually in ship designs - medical bays, crew qaurters, food and logistics storage areas, etc., are located away from reactors and engine rooms. This is a non-issue however if the species that the ship is made for is somehow immune from excessive radiological or EMF exposure.

#2, Is your ship's engine a "passive refueler" - i.e. - does it scoop up particles or hydrogen (protons) as it goes along - like an "n-fusion" drive, or is there a fuel medium that is used that must be stored? Is your ship a short range excursion vessel - or a long range runner?

#3, Are we seeing a ship with one level - or multiple levels?

All in all - I also really like the asymmetrical design that you chose for this.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Wonderful work with this quite different design!
  • Posted By: Terraformer_AuthorCoolness, I especially like your choice of colors - and the design is nice and compact. I would however offer some useful observations.

#1, Are the Rejuvenation Pods and Pod Nutrient Storage units properly shielded from passive radiation from your power core? Usually in ship designs - medical bays, crew qaurters, food and logistics storage areas, etc., are located away from reactors and engine rooms. This is a non-issue however if the species that the ship is made for is somehow immune from excessive radiological or EMF exposure.

#2, Is your ship's engine a "passive refueler" - i.e. - does it scoop up particles or hydrogen (protons) as it goes along - like an "n-fusion" drive, or is there a fuel medium that is used that must be stored? Is your ship a short range excursion vessel - or a long range runner?

#3, Are we seeing a ship with one level - or multiple levels?

All in all - I also really like the asymmetrical design that you chose for this.
    Thanks for kind words TF!
    To answer your questions I'm going to use the term "retroactive continuity"; it sounds more sophisticated than saying "I don't know, I made it up as I went along" :)
    #1. I'm gonna have to go with "no" on shielding ; the idea of using the rejuve pods came about because I couldn't find symbols that looked "alien enough" for beds or toilet facilities. If pressed for an answer, I'd say the pods help offset the effects of exposure to the engine core. I wanted to create a power core that looked dangerous to humans and didn't think much past that...
    #2. It's a short range craft, atmosphere capable. I didn't design it to use anything exotic (no Bussard collectors or Zero point energy generation, it's to small for those)
    #3. Only one level, all the "boring stuff" (fuel tanks, landing gear, waste management equipment, etc.) is located in a sub-deck (yeah, that's where they are trust me!). I wanted to try and build a ship without using the default CC3 drawing tools (hull, bulkhead, etc.) and felt a flying saucer would be a good challenge.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    Posted By: jonasgreenfeather

To answer your questions I'm going to use the term "retroactive continuity"

I'm glad "retrocon" is allowed, cos I really couldn't help doing some when I saw this wonderful ship

the beautiful flooring is so like sunlight on sea-bottom, that that's where the holes these beings live in must be.
    There's all sort of things on earth do that, and a lot of them have tentacles just like real aliens. So I think they might be like octopussies, but asymetrical of course, with 9 tentacles and one big eye. So then I thought
    that that's why they don't need an opening in the screens in front of the pods, cos when they go to pod they'll just slither across the ceiling - which I now see is where the hatch to the service deck must be.

I did worry about the drive for a bit though. I guessed that the one shown was interplanetary, but worried where the ftl drive was. Maybe the "hive-minded" bit you mentioned means they are seperate beings, but can sort of join together into something amazing - like those big jellyfish thingys that are really a colony and not a single creature. So I guess if they all sit in a circle on the ceiling and hold tentacles or whatever, they
    become One, and can see the universe in 9 dimensions, and take the ship through short-cuts and not need
    an ftl drive at all! Cool!

Peter

ps i hope you don't mind me having a bit of fun. I really do love the ship :)
  • Posted By: pdj
    Posted By: jonasgreenfeather

To answer your questions I'm going to use the term "retroactive continuity"

I'm glad "retrocon" is allowed, cos I really couldn't help doing some when I saw this wonderful ship

the beautiful flooring is so like sunlight on sea-bottom, that that's where the holes these beings live in must be.
    There's all sort of things on earth do that, and a lot of them have tentacles just like real aliens. So I think they might be like octopussies, but asymetrical of course, with 9 tentacles and one big eye. So then I thought
    that that's why they don't need an opening in the screens in front of the pods, cos when they go to pod they'll just slither across the ceiling - which I now see is where the hatch to the service deck must be.

I did worry about the drive for a bit though. I guessed that the one shown was interplanetary, but worried where the ftl drive was. Maybe the "hive-minded" bit you mentioned means they are seperate beings, but can sort of join together into something amazing - like those big jellyfish thingys that are really a colony and not a single creature. So I guess if they all sit in a circle on the ceiling and hold tentacles or whatever, they
    become One, and can see the universe in 9 dimensions, and take the ship through short-cuts and not need
    an ftl drive at all! Cool!

Peter

ps i hope you don't mind me having a bit of fun. I really do love the ship :)
    Thanks Peter, your comment about the deck looking like the bottom of the sea is great, I used a "water, clear" bitmap because of it's otherworldly look... Glad you like it!