Safeholm

I've been trying out the "Overland Black & White" style from the 2008 Annual, and rather liked the result.

I'm fairly new to CC3, and mapping in general as you can no doubt tell, but as I've been following the forum and learning all sorts of useful things I thought I'd "Show and Tell" as an excuse to say hello. so "Hello!" :)

Safeholm is a rocky little island in a very big ocean. It is uninhabitable except for the bay on the leeward side.
It is only inhabited at all because it serves as a way-station/refuge on the trade route between a continent
200 miles to the north and and archipelago 500 miles to the south. So it rather suits a simple style, I hope.

Comments

• Nice. Simple - sweet - deliciously "Tolkieny" - awsomeness.
  • The way you blended the mountains and the coast on the north side of the island is really good. It shows just how desolate (and strategically important) Safeholm is. It sort of looks like an ancient volcano that blew out the south side of itself. If this is your first "feet wet" map, I can't wait to see more of your posts.

My only suggestion would be to tweak the coast along the south east and southwest sides so the mountains but right up against the sea, this would emphasize the openess of the land in the bay.
    Keep up the good work, and welcome to the forum!
  • Really nice; it has a "treasure map" feel to it. I only hope my first effort* is half as good.

*(Still working my way though the manual...)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Very nice work! Have you turned on sheet effects for the final export? A little glow around the coastline might make it look even nicer.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    many thanks for the kind words, all

Ralf - i turned off the coastal glow because it looked too sophisticated next to the crude pen&ink-style graphics. I did put in a light sepia effect though cos it looked a bit too "new" in straight b&w

There's so many options in cc3 i find it really hard to make my mind up sometimes....