Problem using Trim Inside

Hello,

I'm a new user to CC3 (and the CC line of products in general) and I'm having problems using the Trim Inside feature. When I do, the entity I trim starts being drawn with dashed outline and no fill (despite the edit properties dialog showing differently). Haven't been able to find anything about this being a known bug, I'd be grateful for any additional information or help.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    When you Trim a filled object, it basically becomes a line, or more often, a set of separate lines (Delete or hide the trim lines to see this properly). Since only closed objects can be filled, the fill will disappear. The properties box still list it, because a line can have a fill property (If you set the line with of any object to greater than zero, you will see that it is the line itself that gets filled instead of the object, even with closed objects)
    To restore fill style for the object, you need to draw the missing lines along the edges of the trim edges (Endpoint modifier is perfect here), and combine them into one object, for example with a multipoly.
  • Aha, that would explain it, though I'm not sure why the resulting line is drawn dashed. Or are the dashes really line segments? That'd make creating a closed poly again somewhat tricky.

Still, thank you so much for your insight.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am unsure why the line is dashed. It might be of several reasons though:

1. The line of the filled object was originally dashed. For a filled object, you can't see the line style anyway, so the line style for a filled object is irrelevant.
    2. The resulting line is wider than 0, and therefore filled. The fill style make it appear dashed. I don't think this should happen though.

I don't think each dash is a line segment. That sounds strange. But that is easy to check. Just hit the erase button, then click on one of the dashes. Does the entire line go grey, and the command line report that 1 object is selected? Then it is one line. If only a single dash goes grey, then they are individual entities.
  • There are several dashed line styles in CC2/CC3.

Just do a 'list' on the line. That will tell you what the line style is.