Mage Knight Dungeon Tiles

I still play Mage Knight Dungeons (MKD), despite all the anti-clickers out there, I have found it a fun and quick game to play. When I moved from the States to the UK I had to leave or give away most of my stuff including all my maps and MKD tiles. So I have started to remake them using CC3 and DD3. I will mount them on mat board and in some cases full size maps to be printed at a proffesional printers.

Room 1
I forgot to use opacity on the grid for the first one.

Room 2
I know they seem a bit simple, so if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Coridoor 3
For some reason the wall torches leave a grey bar in front of it when it is on the left hand side. Does anyone here know why?

This is only a few. I will be making some custom tiles as well and a few friends want me to make them 1" grid for their D&D games. I have the 2007 annual but now I'm thinking of getting the 2008 so I can use those new lighting effects.

Comments

• I'd say add a few obstructions to give more variety. Say a few pillars for your ranged units to take cover behind or broken furniture to give your striker type units something to navigate around. Pretty good base maps though.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    I notice the gray bar doesn't just occur for the torch, but it happens for a lot of objects, especially these that are designed to have their back of against the wall. It looks like when CC3 rotates them 180 degrees, the very last row of pixels is not rotated with the symbol, and stays at the opposite end of the symbol, often far into the room for objects that cast light. This means that the bar isn't always gray, but is the color of the last row of pixels in the symbol.
    This seems to be CC3 specific, and not with particular symbols as well, as my example picture here contains symbols from base DD3, and both Style A and B of Symbol Set 2.

I think this can be safely classified as a bug.
  • Highland_PiperHighland_Piper Surveyor
    edited July 2008
    I'm getting complaints that the floor pattern repeats to often. Does anyone have a good tip to change that?

I went ahead and purchased the 2008 Annual and started this for my game tiles

Test Map Tile 2

Same tile with different levels of lighting. Tried to add a "Dirt" layer but I need to work on it. I could do it in Photoshop real easily but I'd like to be able to learn how to do it in CC3

Test Tile 3
    You can always change the scale of the fill. That should help. If you change the scale to some value that does not match the grid size, the tiling instantly becomes far less evident.
    Try editing the fill style, and scale it to 14.6 for instance. This should cause no square to be exactly identical, even if it is the same image tiles, and will make the tiling less obvious.
  • I'd also recommend toning down the shadow opacity on the Wall Shadow - Point of Light. Unless you want the unlit areas to be black, you might put the opacity around 50% for the complete shadow. Nice tiles, though!
  • How do you tone down the Shadow Opacity? For Wall Shadow - Point of Light I'm only given the option of Shadow Length
  • edited July 2008

This is the dialog box I have when I use the Wall Shadow - Point of Light effect. 50% shadow yeilds shadows like this:

I'm using CC3 3.20 w/ DD3, by the way. That's a battlemap for H1 Keep on the Shadowfell I threw together, I was mostly just experimenting with the CSUAC files recently re-released.
    edited July 2008
    You have two too many slash marks in each of your links.

now in this one

exactly where do you go to get that? I don't have that option under Menu Bar Lights. I also quickly looked through the four page pdf. that comes with CA19 and did not see any mention of that.

If you could post exactly how to open that option I would be most grateful.
  • Can anyone tell me how to open the "Point Light Wall Shadow Setup"? I've been looking everywhere and I can't seem to find it. I only get the option for "Shadow Length" when I go "Sheets and Effects".

Anyone?
  • edited July 2008
    Here's the step-by-step process I'm doing. After creating the map, and getting effects set up (except for the WSPoL) this is what the entry room looks like. The effects sheet is Sweeney's "50pixels per 5foot" from his DD3 tutorial, actually. (Normally I fine tune my own effects, but like I said I did this map to test out the CSUAC files I got from GM's Apprentice.) So here's what the room looks like before the Point of Light. (Notice I changed my stairs, much happier with these--it's just a black gradient transparent graphic I made.)

I open up the Effects window at left and Add an effect to the WALLS sheet. Note that the Wall Shadow Point of Light will actually cancel out any Glow or other Shadows you have, so that's a decision you have to make. (The PoL effect is kind of limited at the moment, but it's neat still.) After adding the effect you'll add your light sources and the intensities in the window I showed before. I suggest starting with Intensity 10 and Max Radius 40 to start. Below 10 intensity you can get some really weird overlap effects where the lights cancel each other. The Max Radius also seems more like the max diameter, too.

After applying the effect you get this result. I usually use the above effects, as losing the glow effects really removes some of the dramatic effects, in my opinion. I have CC3 & DD3 installed, and the version I mentioned above when I go to About, if that helps. I don't have any annuals or anything yet.
    edited July 2008
    I'm using CC3 version 3.20 and DD3 but my Add Effect menu is different than yours and I do not get the "Point Light Wall Shadow Setup" on anything I choose.

Here is what my add effect looks like. Why are they different? I have two Point of Light. One is Finalize the other is Setup and neither of them give me the option you have.

Also my wall shadows does not cancle out any glow effects.

CC3 problems

So is there any other way for me to adjust the shadow transparency?

Those stiars look great by the way. You should add a tutorial on the forums to show everyone how you did them!
    Highland_Piper, My setup is the same as yours. I assume this is something that changed with the installation of the july Annual.
  • Hmmm. It's got to be an Annual then, because I've never picked up any of them. I'm not knocking them, but I'm a little concerned that they could remove options that I already had. :/
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    I'm guessing someone here is on the raster beta test list. The Annual certainly doesn't remove features, unless you are overwriting a beta version.
  • 2 months later
  • I just want to thank everyone for your help! I have my first 55 tiles done for the game!

DC MKD Tiles 1
    DC MKD Tiles 2

I will probably make more of them as well. It's going to take me awhile to print and mount all of these on mat board.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    Posted By: Simon RogersI'm guessing someone here is on the raster beta test list. The Annual certainly doesn't remove features, unless you are overwriting a beta version.
    Simon, I'm not on any Raster Beta group but I've had the same thing happen. Now, I don't know if it was the annual 21 or City Designer but I don't have those options anymore, and I used to have them when all I had was Dungeon Designer.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    Posted By: EugeeHere's the step-by-step process I'm doing. After creating the map, and getting effects set up (except for the WSPoL) this is what the entry room looks like. The effects sheet is Sweeney's "50pixels per 5foot" from his DD3 tutorial, actually. (Normally I fine tune my own effects, but like I said I did this map to test out the CSUAC files I got from GM's Apprentice.) So here's what the room looks like before the Point of Light. (Notice I changed my stairs, much happier with these--it's just a black gradient transparent graphic I made.)
    Eugee, can you provide instructions to how you created the stairs. I've been trying to get that effect on my maps with little success.
  • Well I finished 60 of the tiles. If your interested they are available in pdf HERE at Dungeon Crawlers. Two of the pdf's would not load so I'm wating for the Web Monster to place them in for me.