City of Lost Souls

ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
I had this map published on the Profantasy blog but thought that maybe everyone don't look at the blog so I'm putting it here as well.
This is a map of the City of Lost Souls. The map is done in City designer 3 (CD3) from Profantasy combining the included styles A and B with the latest annual city style by Jon Roberts. The end result from CD3 has then been quite heavily edited in Photoshop, where the labeling also has been done.
On the blog (http://www.profantasy.com/rpgmaps/) you can see a larger version and read some background info as well.

Comments

• Very nice. I love the dense city center with all the street fronts filled, plus space behind. The buildings also cluster well outside the city wall -- near the gates, or as small farming groupings.

Well done.
    Steve
  • Gorgeous map!

I have just started to play around with post-editing outside of CC3. Could you tell me exactly what effects you did with Photoshop? Why did you put labels on your map in Photoshop versus CC3? What advantage does that give you?

Any insight would be very helpful! I really like the farmland style!

Nick
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It's really another wonderful map from you. I'm looking and looking and I can't find anything to criticize or to suggest an improvement. ;)
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    Sdavies2720 - Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like it. A lot of thought process went down in this map when it comes to planing the city and farms etc. So I'm glad that it seems to have payed off. Hopefully I will have another post on the Profantasy blog this week where I start to go through how I planned/made the city.

Mosswood17 - A lot of the steps I used in photoshop you can read about on my blog (http://mappingworlds.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/mapping-a-small-town-part-6/). I'm also planning on having some posts on this regarding the map later on on the blog. The reason I'm labeling in Photoshop is that I know how to do it in PS and am satisfied with how it works. I'm sure I could it just as well in CC3, but I prefer spending the time I have to put into learning that on other stuff (like mapping) instead.

Ralf - Thanks.
    edited March 2012
    Hello Thornd. Well I could unfortunately not see the page you're linking to, no permission. The CC3 file wont do you any good, the end map actually consists of three different CC3 files pasted together. If you want to use the map in your game however thats ok (as long as it is for home use and not for profit).
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited March 2012
    Posted By: ClerconSdavies2720 - Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like it. A lot of thought process went down in this map when it comes to planing the city and farms etc. So I'm glad that it seems to have payed off. Hopefully I will have another post on the Profantasy blog this week where I start to go through how I planned/made the city....
    At risk of self-promotion, do also take a look at the blog entries where I'm working through a city doing exactly that -- mostly alternating between theory and how to do it in CC3. I'd love to get your comments (or counterpoint for the places you disagree):
    http://www.profantasy.com/rpgmaps/?s=mapping+cities

Steve
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Sdavies2720 - Go ahead and promote yourself. Your guide has been great and a big inspiration for me. I'm looking forward to see your completed city. The city making guide I'm working on myself is rather shallow in comparison.
  • That map is georgious Clericon. Really beautiful work duder!
    Thornrd - If it's only for you and your friends feel free to use it as you like. As I said before the CC3 files wont do you no good, but I can send you the map without labels if you prefer that. If you give me your mail I'll send it over. I'm just glad if my work is used and can spread some fun moments :)