Map Scale in CC3, CC3 & FT

I have recently purchased the latest CC3, FT and some other add-ons. As a new user I have looked through the help files, the Tome of Ultimate Mapping and at other articles on this forum, but I can't find a clear explanation of mapping scale as it pertains to templates, map design and symbols.

What do the numbers on the templates mean (i.e. 1000x800)? 1000x800)? is this supposed to be miles, feet, inches, pixels or something else? If I export an Earth sized map from FT to the standard template I assume the dimension labeled 1000 is now equal to 25,000 miles, but if I use a template of 2000x1600 for the same export this means 2000 is now equal to 25,000 miles?

My intent is to create a world in FT and to create regional maps by exporting multiple maps of that world to CC2 and convert the Regional maps to finer detail as required in CC3. At each level I want the map scale to match other maps printed at the same level of detail. In order to do this, even semi-accurately, I am assuming I need to know how the scale of drawings works.

If anyone could explain or tell me where to find the information I am looking for, I would be most pleased.

Comments

• dungeon maps are measured in feet. overland in miles, unless you load a metric overland template and they are measured in kilometers.

The map border of a surface map template can be thawed in the layer requestor and altered.

There is someone who has made a tutorial for FT to CC3 map. Don't know who it is off-hand, but likelyt someoene will post with the url.
  • Joe Slayton (author of FT) has done some tutorials for FT on the Cartographer's Guild Forum:

http://forum.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Look for Tutorials by Waldonrate.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks for the fast response.

Based on the answers above, can I assume that the dimensions are there to make the map scale bars work properly and that anything printed will fit on a single sheet of paper unless I take other steps to increase or decrease printing size?

What scale are City maps using? Are they considered the same as Overland (miles) and one should simply use a smaller dimension? What about villages less than a square mile in size?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    City maps (assuming you make them using City Designer) uses feet as their scale. If you don't have city designer, and draws a city on a regular overland template, the distance will be in miles.

Note that CC3 itself doesn't care much about miles, feet, etc. It only uses a reference called Units. You can basically redefine these to mean anything you want them to mean, but default symbol sizes (including scalebars) are based upon the default meaning of Units, based on map type.

As for printing, yes, you can always print it on a single sheet of paper no matter the dimensions. You will only need more than one sheet if you need a particular map scale on the printout. For example, for most battle mats, 5 feet on the map should be 1 inch on the paper so that the miniatures will fit. In most cases, you won't need this for overland maps, meaning you can always fit them on one sheet of paper