Map of Europe for Miniature Wargame

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw up my first attempt at making a map for a miniature wargame I play. I traced the original map included with the game. For the territory boarders, I traced them free hand. There are gaps at some points. Should I have "attach" turned on so I can connect them to other boarders, etc? There are a number of territories that are supposed to be "difficult terrain", so I blotted in some hills, but it looks kind of clunky; any suggestions? Finally, I would like to add shading to show country ownership. Ideally I would like to be able to click onto each country and select the shading for that territory. I'm thinking that maybe I should make a sheet for each country, and when the territory changes hands, I can change it to the appropriate sheet. What would be the best way to shade each territory? I read one suggestion to fill an area with a fade. Will I have to free-hand each territory or can I trace the outline of a territory? Thanks!

James
SOK.FCW 98.6K

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited February 2012
    Very nice, that will come in handy for anyone looking for a base Europe map. Would you submit it to the user library?
  • I'm in the process of working on Version 2. Once I have completed that one, I will post it up! Thanks!
  • I have submitted my Europe Map v2 to the User Library. I expanded the map a bit to include North Africa as well as a portion of the Middle East. There are no political boundaries on the map so it should be good to map any time period desired.
    I've checked and updated it for the user library where it is available now.

I allowed myself to edit it a bit:
    - changed the coast multipoly to not use smooth path but straight ones. This is way faster for display and muss less prone to problems. Your coastline is so detailed, it's basically impossible to spot the difference anyway.
    - gave it the default CC3 overland style.
  • Awesome, thanks! How did you change the multiply from smooth to straight? I'd like to make the change to mine as well (which I've continued to work on and would hate to undo the progress that I've made). The black coast outline is separate from the land mass, did you change those from smooth to straight also?

Thanks, and I'm glad I could contribute to the community!
    Actually I removed your black outline first, then recreated it when changing to the CC3 overland style. To "unsmooth" the multipoly:

- "Explode"the green land multipoly
    - Use "Smooth to Straight" on the exploded parts
    - At this point I fixed a little gap that was in the northern coast of Ireland - noticed it when doing the next step
    - re-multipoly the coastline

To unsmooth the black outline, just use "Smooth to Straight" on it, unless it is also a multipoly. If it is, do the same as above.
  • edited February 2012
    Ok thanks!

On an unrelated note, I've been trying to print to PDFCreator, but the land is not green. It's all blue. I still have the outline of the coast and territories, but no land. If I have sheet effects on, I end up having a "fuzzy" area where the sheet effects are affecting. I've attached the .pdf that it gives me.

EDIT: I made the "smooth to straight" adjustments you suggested as well as selected the "COMMON prints on all" and I got it to print correctly. Don't know which of those was the culprit (likely the smooth to straight), but I deleted the previous file.
    That was indeed probably a problem with the multipoly, either the smooth paths it consisted of, or the gap in the Irish coastline (don't know if you fixed that).