Post Production on a Call of Cthulhu Warehouse Map

Hey all.

I just had a sudden realization that one can alter images in Gimp. So, I have been playing around with "Post-production" if you will. In this map, I definitely like the texture that I gave the warehouse floor, it really broke it up a bit and made it seem more real. Then I found the Burn tool. I think this has a lot of promise for the kind of maps that I am making. My question is does the burned brown on the warehouse boxes seem too overwhelming compared to the rest of the map? Has anyone used the burn tool in Gimp or something similar in photoshop to do something similar? I think the burn on the map gives it a really old time feel. I like the way it brings out the texture of the boxes too. Is this too much for this map or should I maybe try burning the whole thing slightly to get a slightly browned color?

This is my first attempte with altering a map outside of Cartographer. I gotta say I am having a LOT of fun but want some guidance as just because there are these tools available doesn't mean that I should be using them!

Nick

Comments

• I like the effect and the multi-cast shadows from the crates! It's got a little of a Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse at the end feel going on, very cool. I'd encourage you to keep pushing the boundries, you won't know how "to far" is until to pass it and say to yourself, "Whoops, shouldna done THAT."
  • Hi mosswood17,

This map looks good, but be careful about shadow depth, direction, and how light sources push shadows though. One technique that you can use to plan shadow angles and intersections goes like this:

I have taken the liberty of drawing a green circle on your map section - this circle represents - let's say - where an overhead utility lamp exists in this room that is suspended from the ceiling, but that is invisible to the map viewer due to the top down perspective cut away. Let's imagine that this lamp is the only source of illumination in this room. The green lines eminating out away from the imaginary lamp that I have drawn represent the light angles - and thus - how your shadows will be oriented. Shadows are at their darkest and most sharply defined - the closer that the object casting the shadow is - to the light source. Light always moves radially in straight lines outward from light sources, and shadows always follow the angle of the light rays as they radiate outward.
  • edited January 2012
    If we had a secondary light source that was slightly brighter - say - a larger ceiling lamp - in the same room - in this case represented on your map with a RED circle - then you would have two sets of shadows for each object in the room that follows the directions of the light rays, and the brighter light would cast the darker, more vivid shadows. If a shadow from the brighter light falls within the direct illumination zone of the lesser light, it will still be visible - but will be "grayer" - i.e. very much lighter and less obvious than other shadows. remember that shadows are always found on the opposite side of an object as their light source. On these drawings - the direction of the arrows = the directions of the light = the directions of your shadows.

Remember also that the farther away an object is from a suspended light source, the longer it's shadow will be. If a box in your warhouse is closer to the brightest overhead light than the dimmer one - then the shadow cast by the brighter light will have a shorter length on the ground than the shadow cast by the lesser light. Think about how the sun casts a shorter shadow at noon than when it's either morning or evening.

I love your map image, I think it awsomely rocks!!!
  • edited January 2012
    Just to clarify - here's a diagram showing what I'm talking about. The orange circle is the dimmer overhead light, and the yellow one is the brighter one. The sqaure is an arbitrary object on the floor of a room.:
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    @Terraformer: I believe he uses the "lighted dungeon" effect in this map, which automatically calculates the shadows based on the position of the defined light sources.

@mosswood17: Great map. I like the brown burn effect, but by using it, you do place the focus of the map squarely among the boxes, since they look more colorful than the rest of the map. However, given the light levels in that room, that is maybe your intention anyway?
  • @Terraformer, I did use the lighted dungeon template, and as light sources there are 6 lights set up in a linear pattern over the large storage area which explains why the shadows were so varied. I am working on another version of this map where everything is slightly burned to give it that nice old time brown color. I am well aware of the multiple shadow thing. It always bugs me in sci-fi movies where planets have multiple suns but everyone is walking around with single shadows.

@Monen, I didn't really want the boxes to pop out like that, I just liked the burn effect on them so much I thought I would post it. The other thing is that the map seems to print much darker than it looks, so with a map sufficiently moody-looking on the computer screen it comes out almost black when I print it. This map comes out much darker but still easily readable.
  • Here is another version that is slightly burned over the entire thing. Let me know what you all think!

Nick
  • edited February 2012
    Your map rocks bro!
    sorry about the misunderstanding guys - but I assumed that only one light source was used in the room and that the shadows were done using custom brushes in post production.
    I totally missed it dude! Lol. :( Oh well, maybe somebody can make lemonade from the lemon that I dropped on this one.