Microsoft .NET Framework

I am trying to install DD3, but after a few min. I get an error saying "DD3 Setup can not continue without first installing the Microsoft .NET Framework." Then it tells me where I can download it. I downloaded it and went to install it, but Windows came back and said I had it installed. I noticed there are a few versions of Framework. Which one do I need, 3.5, 3.0, 2.0?
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You need .net 1.1 Service Pack 1 (The latest version of the 1.x series)
  • I was curious about what happens when you upgrade to 3.5. Has anyone had issues with installs after upgrading, or is it just a matter of having 1.1 service pack installed to begin with?
    My understanding is the new versions are more stable and secure so thats why Im thinking of upgrading.
  • The CC3 installs don't need the newer versions.
    Also note, that all the major versions are separate. So if you have 1.x installed, and installs 2.x, you will end up with both, as 2.x does not upgrade the 1.x version. So when you install the 3.5 upgrade, all that will happen is that the previous 3.x version will be upgraded, but the 1.x version will be left alone (and must be upgraded separately, if you don't have the latest 1.x version).
    Programs written for 1.x doesn't necessarily work under 2.0, therefore you usually need all major versions installed. Therefore, 2.x does not satisfy the dependency for the DD3 installer.
  • Thanks Monsen, now I wont worry so much. I wasnt sure if the upgrades would replace previous versions.
  • 1 month later
  • I've installed the 1.1 service pack above, and it still won't let me install DD3 :(
  • edited August 2008
    The link above is only the SERVICE PACK for the .net 1.1 framework.

Here is the .NET 1.1 distributable, you need to install that FIRST.

Then you install the service pack: from here.

Next, I recommend installing this one as well:

ASP.NET Security Update for .NET 1.1 SP1

It patches yet another security hole.

Finally, if you're running Windows XP or Vista, I strongly recommend running Windows update and checking to see if there are any more updates to .NET 1.1.

After you do all this, DD3 should install just fine.

(Interesting note: If the DD3 installer is like the CD-Pro compatibility update, then the issue is that the .NET installer links provided actually lead to .NET 2.0!! This isn't bad for your system, but it still fails to install .NET 1.1 for the installer, thus failing to solve the issue.)
  • The ASP update was the holdup, thanks!
  • 1 month later
  • My Vista Ultimate x64 says that "this is installed already as part of the operating system". It won't let me install ANY version of .Net and DD3 won't recognize they exist on my system. Any ideas?
  • Update: I was able to install .Net 1.1 + SP1 + ASP.Net update by accepting the "compatibility issues" warning in Vista (Ultimate x64).

DD3 will install. So I uninstalled everything and started over. Here is the order I installed:

Install CC3
    Install SS3
    Install SS3 comp update
    Install Cosmographer Pro comp update
    Install DD3
    Install SS1
    Install SS2
    Install SM Cities
    Install Annual 2007
    Install Patch 1
    Install Patch 3
    Install Patch 5
    Install CD3 (with Install Patch 6 comes with it)
    Download the CD3 maps - install.

Couldn't get the CD3MenuFix to run. Not sure if I need it yet, but time will tell.

Before you install patch 1 two errors launch every time you launch CC3 (which is required after every update). Just OK twice and forge on.

This is the best install I have had so far. Ye GODS I hope we can get this install method updated and less clunky!! :-D

Suggestions; universal patch updater that detects what needs to be replaced, update method via the actual program, or even better a way to install plugins via the program without separate EXEs.

Anyhoo, I am up and running, and that's the most important thing. :-D
  • I could have sworn PF got rid of the .NET bs, but I guess not.
    Posted By: loydbI could have sworn PF got rid of the .NET bs, but I guess not.
    They kind of did. One of the patches (don't remember which), removed the dependency, but the old CC3, DD3 and SM Cities installers still require it during install, so you still theoretically need it when installing from scratch.
    For some strange reason, I can install it fine under wine on linux though, completely without any trace of .net at all (Except for SM Cities, which complains bigtime)
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    We are slowly redoing installations to remove this dependency.
    Woo.. That's good news. Maybe I can at last make a proper install of SM Cities under Wine.