My first BIG city map

Mappers,

Whew. Finally done. My first BIG city map. I present, BRENZEN! I plan on putting a legend on it soon... but for tonight, this is it :)

Feedback appreciated and wanted!

-E

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    A wonderful map, Eranthius. Thanks for posting it. City maps have a special place in my heart. :)

One question comes to my mind as I see the map: What's become of the city's wall? The circular layout of the main streets suggest that the town has grown organically, limited at each turn by a wall, which was then dismantled to make room for even more growth. I'd expect there to be at least remnants of the outermost (most recent) wall, but there seems to be no indication of it.

There might be a perfect explanation for it in your city's history, it's just a question that comes to my mind.
  • Excellent job, Eranthius!
  • Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Ralf, the city's location in the greater area its in is rather conflict free. In all honesty, the city has foolishly elected to NOT erect walls on its outer most area's just before the major farmlands begin. Good question though. I like where your going with it. And since cities have a special place in your heart, got any pointers on how to broaden my abilities? Tips? Tricks? I too find a passion for this specific work and would enjoy pushing the limits.

-E
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    If the city never had a wall, I'd expect it's growth to either be more regular - a planned regular grid layout perhaps - or even more chaotic - the circular rings are pretty much a product of cities growing within and over their walls.

Generally thinking about how the city started and how it grew from its core are the most important pieces in planning a city map.

You city doesn't have a special feature that tells us at first glance why it is there: There could be a bridge or ford across a river, a major crossroads or a safe harbor on a coast, just to name a few examples. Why did people choose to settle there?

The most easily accessible sources for inspiration are Steve Davies' excellent articles on city construction on the Profantasy blog.
  • edited January 2012
    Actually, most villages, towns, and cities usually gravitate towards radial growth. A lord sets up a demesne providing security and work, hiring the various staff to run his land (usually peasant serfs and freemen), which in turn build from the center (the lord's castle mostly) outwards. Gridded cities are usually planned cities, and do not grow organically in the radial pattern (though they may do so at some later date). The radial pattern is not particularly formed by walls, however I have to agree with Ralf, the density of the city seems to imply at some point it was restricted by walls. An excellent source of Medieval towns and cities and how they are formed and otherwise grow can be found in "A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe", which I believe can be downloaded in PDF format.

In any case, the map is still a great map. I've yet to try my hand at cities as yet, but this is pretty close to what I'd prefer. I always loved the old Judge's Guild cities, especially City-State of the Invincible Overlord, which I still have stored away somewhere around here. Maybe I should make a project of that... hmmm. Unfortunately, dealing with a major sickness in my family and don't have time for anything right now. Sigh.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2012
    Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

~Dogtag
  • Such great comments and feedback! Honestly, I never even thought to look into city growth concepts etc before I started Brenzen. Looks like I need to hit the books!

Thanks do much for the feedback and links. I have some reading to do!

-E