Walls and their joins

I have just finished watching the excellent DD3 tutorials and noticed that he had a problem that I have noticed with wall but did not mention it.

When completing the walls round a room (in the video he joined a curved wall to a straight one) I get a jaggy corner where the wall doesn't complete itself. Is this as snap issue or is there something I haven't done?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Probably a better way of doing this, put, personally, I usually just make sure that the lines join in the middle of a wall, instead of in a corner. That makes them connect seamless without any ugly corners

If the room is made up of separate line segments, you can usually also combine them (Combine Paths - CMB) into one. This also gets rid of ugly corners like this.
  • The CORNOR command will fix this. It used to be in Dungeon - Trims but i've noticed it's no longer there.

It will get rid of it though.

from help:

Corner adds a path to cover up the corners where lines join. If you have draw your dungeons correctly, corners like this should not appear.

To create a corner select Dungeon > Trims > Corner

1. The prompt reads "!First entity:" Select a point on the first wall near the end where the corner is.

2 The prompt reads "Second entity:". Select a point on the second wall near the end where the corner is.

Text Equivalent: CORNER
  • that's if that command still exists of course :/
  • edited July 2008
    I cannot find "Dungeon > Trims > Corner" or its equivalent. :/
    (And, yes, I understood the fact that you meant it was on the Dungeon menu, before you ask. :-P)
    Just type the command CORNER into the command line. Much easier than looking for the menu :)
  • Monsen: How? I can't click in the command bar.... (assuming it's at the bottom of the screen...)
  • OK - now I get really odd results. Can't get the system to recognise the corner itself. I think I'll just stick with Monsen's first suggestion of finishing in the middle of a wall.
    edited July 2008
    You never need to click into the command bar. As long as you don't have a dialogue box open, it always accepts keyboard input.
    What do you mean by recognise? Doesn't it appear, or can't you do anything with it, or?

Note that the corner appears as a separate entity on top of the regular walls, and only covers up the ugly corner by hiding it. If you can't manipulate it, check what sheet and layer it appears on. I think the command inserts it at the active sheet & layer, and not the one the original wall was on.
  • Thanks Monsen.
    I'm absolutely new to this and I've been warned how steep the learning curve is. And boy am I out of breath already!

The problem I have is either me not knowing what I'm doing or I've got some silly snap setting...

All I need is a really good, up-to-date tutorial or piles-and-piles of patience!
    edited July 2008
    The CC3 manual will contain a lot of step-by step tutorials, but it isn't complete yet unfortunately.

Most of the Core CC3 stuff is just the same as with CC2 though, so by following the tutorials in the Complete Cartography Manual (Available from your registration page), you will learn a lot. The Tome of Ultimate Mapping is also an excellent resource, even if that too is for CC2 at the moment.

Biggest difference between CC2 and CC3 two is that CC3 includes effects and allows for raster symbols. There is also a change in the UI that all the various change properties commands have been grouped into one button that lets you change all types of properties at once, otherwise everything is very similar.

As for the learning curve, yes it can be kind of steep, but compared to software like Adobe Photoshop, it is a breeze. And once you master CC3, yo'll understand how powerful it is under the hood.
  • If I can just step in with a word about the learning curve. something that flattened it out for me is dropping all my preconceptions about art programs and going with the tutorials in my manuals step by step. As soon as I decided to work with the program as if I had never used any other drawing program before, things just (forgive this pun) snapped. It even made me more ready for an even hairier kind of beast. I do design work for embroidery machines as a sideline The programs can be quite counter intuitive, but I just remembered how I let go of what I know and embraced the new and I now get paid to make other peoples art (and sometimes my own) into embroidered designs.
  • Ah. I had to check on this first, as i couldn't remember which of several methods I came up with, one of them worked.

Draw the walls. Then use the NodeEdit to pull them even. Also Drag wil lhelp to.